Gordhan cancels Christmas break for Eskom execs

access

Executive Member
write off some holidays and claim some days back, must look good in the books?

do these guys just claim sick leave over this period now or are they expected to work.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I know a senior staffer at Eskom. She easily takes up to 3 months sick leave a year. (Bad back - injury was not workplace related)
She's actually joked that the girls in her department actually stagger their sick leave so that at least one of them is in the office at a time.
They can easily trim the fat in that place.

Those are classed as bonuses...
Not by my employers - the Government. They were free of tax. They were small - in the hundreds of pounds - and few. You could get 1% if you were awarded a box 2, but it was not pensionable or permanent or added to pay for overtime purposes. I couldn't be bothered making out the case for it. Not worth my time.

Top Executives are much in demand, bonus and share schemes help to incentivize and retain top staff.
No, they get paid plenty. They are just greedy sods. The bonuses etc do not work anyway: how many companies with such schemes go bust anyway, or take a nosedive in profits?
It is a self feeding frenzy fuelled by remuneration committees that get the same back from those they have just favoured when they in turn act as remuneration committees in their own companies. The system stinks just as much as Zuma's shenanigans.

Cray

Honorary Master
No, they get paid plenty. They are just greedy sods.
Welcome to the free labour market, call them what you like, if you don't reward talented people they are free to go elsewhere and that is exactly what happens when people feel under rewarded for their efforts (rightly or wrongly). This applies at all levels of an organisation not just at exec level.

The bonuses etc do not work anyway: how many companies with such schemes go bust anyway, or take a nosedive in profits?
Citation for that? They sometimes work and sometimes don't...

The company I work for has a bonus scheme based on achieving certain targets and it applies throughout the organisation, profits are up and so is staff retention. Not all companies do it but I feel it helps morale big time. Worked for a company without a bonus scheme for 6 years and it sucked.

Last edited:
Those are classed as bonuses...

But if you never received a bonus it would be safe to assume you were mostly just a very average employee who only ever just did their job.
Look, if you got promotion you would be transferred away somewhere else, almost certainly to a high cost area such as London. I had a Band F house in a decent part of town with the sort of schools (Grammar schools) that we wanted for our children. (Band F houses are in the top 6% or so by value outside central London.) I earned 48% extra pay for anti-social hours which was pensionable. That was equivalent to two promotions, with roughly 10% chance of each being achieved. The schools were rare around the country, and their catchment areas VERY expensive for property. I lived within 2 miles or so of work. I had beautiful country on my doorstep. Why the hell would I put myself out to be promoted? I worked to live, as opposed to living to work. As to quality of work, I had to do at least enough to avoid some young blood knicking my job. When I applied for early retirement I was declined on the grounds that I was too valuable to lose.
I was content to be seen on paper as an average employee. Why not? I was approached several times during appraisals about that, but batted them off. I simply asked "What do I get out of it?"

Welcome to the free labour market, call them what you like, if you don't reward talented people they are free to go elsewhere and that is exactly what happens when people feel under rewarded for their efforts (rightly or wrongly). This applies at all levels of an organisation not just at exec level.

Citation for that? They sometimes work and sometimes don't...

The company I work for has a bonus scheme based on achieving certain targets and it applies throughout the organisation, profits are up and so it staff retention. Not all companies do it but I feel it helps morale big time. Worked for a company without a bonus scheme for 6 years and it sucked.
Citations? BHS, M&S, ICI, BP, Woolworths UK and SA, Pick and Pay, Steinhoff, Ellerine's, Comet.......

Wow.. touched a bit of a nerve there I see....
Not really. I just got tired of explaining why promotion was not for me to bosses who realised they were dependent on my work ethic for the results that got them their promotions. As one said, "your station is the jewel in the Crown." That was why I was selected for work abroad: the policy was to send the best of us to 'spread best practice'. Essentially I worked to please myself, to know if I had done a good job - or not. And of course I had weaknesses.
If it pleases you to be a corporate ladder climber, then go ahead. Just don't expect worship from the likes of me.

Last edited:

Cray

Honorary Master
Citations? BHS, M&S, ICI, BP, Woolworths UK and SA, Pick and Pay, Steinhoff, Ellerine's, Comet.......
How is that list proof of anything? Apple has a an employee bonus scheme and they are doing fine, most big companies have staff incentive schemes, simply listing failing companies that have bonus schemes proves nothing as I can give a counter example of companies that are doing very well with bonus schemes.

How is that list proof of anything? Apple has a an employee bonus scheme and they are doing fine, most big companies have staff incentive schemes, simply listing failing companies that have bonus schemes proves nothing as I can give a counter example of companies that are doing very well with bonus schemes.
Are Apple doing fine? They have declining sales of their main products right now, and are refocussing their efforts to improve sales. You picked a bad one there!
But your approach is flawed. You say that successful companies are successful because of incentives (without offering evidence of that - but don't bother, I won't be impressed). The list of failures demonstrates that bonuses etc do not necessarily give the results you claim, so your claim fails. Bonuses etc do NOT produce good results necessarily. That is just a self serving fiction currently fashionable to justify excessive pay at the expense of the down trodden workers who actually produce the profits given to the likes of you as unjustified excessive pay. Do you ever read about Gini coefficients? Do you not think you play a part in their excessive spreads? You must live in some sort of cloud cuckoo land! Your gain is some poor sods loss.

Obviously being a caring soul that I am I was touched more than I should have by those words, I am only human.
Thank you for your concern. I would have expected you to see through the materialist stuff from Toxic Bunny, and his misguided capitalist nonsense. We all have our own concerns and priorities, and if Toxic Bunny and I disagree, that does not worry me. I see no disgrace in being seen as average. Most are just that after all, by definition. As Gray said "Let not ambition mock their useful toil........" He went on in the same stanza to say ".......the paths of glory lead but to the grave." That is where I am headed: you too of course. Does that give you my perspective?

Cray

Honorary Master
Are Apple doing fine? They have declining sales of their main products right now, and are refocussing their efforts to improve sales. You picked a bad one there!
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/07/apple-reports-third-quarter-results/

Revenue Up 17 Percent and EPS Up 40 Percent to New June Quarter Records

Services Revenue Reaches New All-Time High
Cupertino, California — July 31, 2018 — Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2018 third quarter ended June 30, 2018. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $53.3 billion, an increase of 17 percent from the year-ago quarter, and quarterly earnings per diluted share of $2.34, up 40 percent. International sales accounted for 60 percent of the quarter’s revenue.
“We’re thrilled to report Apple’s best June quarter ever, and our fourth consecutive quarter of double-digit revenue growth,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “Our Q3 results were driven by continued strong sales of iPhone, Services and Wearables, and we are very excited about the products and services in our pipeline.”
Yeah, they are really struggling...:rolleyes:

But your approach is flawed. You say that successful companies are successful because of incentives (without offering evidence of that - but don't bother, I won't be impressed).
I said no such thing, we are contending the point where said bonus schemes don't work without the first sign of even acknowledging that their purpose is not only about boosting profits but also about staff retention.

The list of failures demonstrates that bonuses etc do not necessarily give the results you claim, so your claim fails. Bonuses etc do NOT produce good results necessarily.
Indeed, but you cannot use a blanket approach by saying they never work because you refuse to ackowledge that a bonus scheme isn't the only factor that contributes to success or failure of a company. You cannot simply list companies that fail for other reasons and point to that as being a problem with bonus schemes.

That is just a self serving fiction currently fashionable to justify excessive pay at the expense of the down trodden workers who actually produce the profits given to the likes of you as unjustified excessive pay.
Bitter and twisted much? I find it amusing that you don't know the first thing about me yet somehow you think my pay is both excessive and unjustified.