Government’s new plan to let learners finish school at Grade 9

konfab

Honorary Master
Pragmatically, that is the best thing I have heard in a while.

Rather have the kids who can't cut it to drop out and try to find a job than to push them through and lower the standards.

But they also need to get rid of things like the minimum wage such that when the dropouts happen, they can still find a job.

R13...

Honorary Master
Now up the standard of teaching and assessment and this may well be useful. And sort out the useless vocational training colleges

Lupus

Honorary Master
How about setting up proper technical schools? Ones where people who aren't good with their brains but with their hands can learn a skill? Plumbers, electricians etc? Or how about we have schools actually teach things we need in life like how to do your taxes, dealing with work stress, budgeting and and. I mean I'm so glad I learnt how to do logarithims in school that I use everyday in my life...

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
How about setting up proper technical schools? Ones where people who aren't good with their brains but with their hands can learn a skill? Plumbers, electricians etc?
There's about 50 of these schools country wide. Not enough, but they do exist.

But yes, school does not prepare you for real life or even most courses at varsity or any other tertiary institution, for that matter.

Reactions: ES1

thechamp

Honorary Master
How about setting up proper technical schools? Ones where people who aren't good with their brains but with their hands can learn a skill? Plumbers, electricians etc? Or how about we have schools actually teach things we need in life like how to do your taxes, dealing with work stress, budgeting and and. I mean I'm so glad I learnt how to do logarithims in school that I use everyday in my life...
Good idea, the technical colleges are still not adequate because their technical streams still expect people who struggled at school to do mathematics.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Back in the 70's and 80's, I knew a number of lads that left school at Std8 and went on to make a sterling career as tradesmen.....
Like this idea..

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
so what exactly is "new" here other than the addition of a worthless piece of paper?
Section 3(1) of the SASA (1996) makes primary and lower secondary schooling compulsory for all children between the ages of 7 and 15 years (or until the completion of Grade 9, whichever occurs first)
Children have been leaving school at grade 9 legally since 1996

Reactions: ES1

Lupus

Honorary Master
There's about 50 of these schools country wide. Not enough, but they do exist.

But yes, school does not prepare you for real life or even most courses at varsity or any other tertiary institution, for that matter.
Yup and the CAPS system we have in place is really dumb as well. Looking at moving my son to a cottage school that's with that home schooling trust. Cause we have no government schools in our area, the private schools are coining it because of this but their educational standards are basically government with maybe a bit more, just the whole trying to squeeze kids into boxes doesn't really help either.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Good idea, the technical colleges are still not adequate because their technical streams still expect people who struggled at school to do mathematics.
Yup exactly, I know a few people who are exception in a lot of ways but sucked at school because of maths or English or or or. Labelled as morons because of that (yes that's what happened in the 80s and 90s), yet they were just not suited for school.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Back in the 70's and 80's, I knew a number of lads that left school at Std8 and went on to make a sterling career as tradesmen.....
Like this idea..
A lot of people in my parents era did this, in fact my dad did and he had to eventually get courses and high school equivalency in the 80s because companies started wanting Matric, for sales positions. Yet he'd done technikon, railway college and somethings at the airforce which would make Matric look like Grade 9 :).

Lupus

Honorary Master
I have always felt like 12 years of schools is a waste.
It's not 12 years if you think about it, after Matric there is college, varsity and whatever afterwards. But yeah 12 years is a long time in a childs life and it doesn't prepare them for life at all.

Mila

Honorary Master
Bring back real trade schools.
Plumber -
Hairdresser
Panel beater

just entry stuff.

not all of us are academics and would have benefitted from learning entry level things that would make you employable or atleast give you something.

i was reminded how lucky i was to have been taught sewing this week. A milinenial that works for me wants to learn basic sewing so she is now paying to get it done. And couldn’t understand how i was making wedding dresses and suits when I was 22.

basic skills. You might hate it. But on my small little cheap sewing machine I can make an income.
Why this was ever stopped, shop and wood work included, thé spaghetti monster will only know.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Like this idea..
Yeah, but back then we had good trade schools and apprenticeships. One could make a good life out of a blue collar career. This isn't the case anymore.

My dad bailed out of school in Std 9/Grade 11, went to a trade school where he completed among others matric-level maths and then took an apprenticeship.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Being a tradesman require you to count. That's why our tradesmen are so kak today. They can't count their own stock levels for maintenance and plan ahead.

wbot

Expert Member
There must be a real shortage of unemployed youth and cleaners, gardeners and criminals in SA for the anc to want to do this. Let's get more hooligans on the streets to riot and burn stuff down.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Being a tradesman require you to count. That's why our tradesmen are so kak today. They can't count their own stock levels for maintenance and plan ahead.
Mathematics is not required for that, just basic arithmetic. Continuing to teach someone who is hopeless in academics complicated Mathematics is useless, illiterate taxi drivers still can count their money, can't they?