Government considering contact tracing application for South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Government considering contact tracing application for South Africa

Government is considering building a smartphone application using the COVID-19 exposure notification system developed by Google and Apple for Android and iOS devices, a spokesperson for the Department of Health has said.

South Africa does not currently have a mobile application that can make use of the exposure notification API developed by Apple and Google that uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology.

Instead, the National Department of Health in South Africa has focused on a system called COVIDConnect, which was developed in partnership with BCX and the Praekelt Foundation.

jgegroups

Google's official page (https://www.google.com/covid19/exposurenotifications/) shows there are reference implementations for the required API and Android app - iOS will probably be somewhere out there as well. Undoubtedly some work needed to skin and get it production ready, but the bulk of it is already done for you.
I wonder what the tender for this would be? @Jan Vermeulen - can you keep tabs on that if and when it goes out?

Azg

Expert Member
The app has limited usefulness given the current restricted testing i.e. if you get COVID-19 but do not meet the new testing criteria you are encouraged to self-quarantine without going for testing.

Itsa Trap

Expert Member
Mmm, will probably run through your contacts and rummage through your social media posts.

But it will be easy to spot kind of spying... you know... like a lead running to a black bin.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Unless you can be vetted as a medical provider, you're going to have a hard time publishing anything with Covid-19 mentioned in it on the app store.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The government has lost too much credibility for me to even consider installing anything of theirs on my phone.