Government employees face salary cuts to help fund Eskom

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Government employees face salary cuts to help fund Eskom

National Treasury director director-general Dondo Mogajane has said that the best way to fund the bailout of failing state-owned enterprises could be to cut the salaries of all government employees by 10%, according to a report in the City Press.

The government has to find a way to close a R120-billion hole in its budget, which is the result of acceding to a R59-billion bailout for Eskom as well as a shortfall in tax revenue for the fiscal year ended March 2020.

Craig

Honorary Master
Eskom staff received bonus twice last year, but other government employees has to have their salaries cut. Why don't they cut eskom salaries by 25%, I'm sure that would bring much more relief to the country. The execs that cause this sht should have their salaries halved, and those cnts in parliament that enabled the thieving bastards.

3WA

Executive Member
So it’s easier to tackle SAMWU and SADTU than NUM?

Reactions: ES1

krycor

Honorary Master
Or.. they can cut Eskom jobs. Unions for gov will be marching soon me thinks

Craig

Honorary Master
cut the government and Eskom employee headcount by 50%, then cut the pay for those remaining by 50% as well
Yes, clever idea. Then all the people that are actually worth their salaries leave and those that are completely worthless and can't get work anywhere else is left. That won't collapse the public sector at all. :rolleyes:

Craig

Honorary Master
Or.. they can cut Eskom jobs. Unions for gov will be marching soon me thinks
This. They seem to be heavily over staffed anyway. Plus they received a good increase last year and if I'm not mistaken they got bonuses twice.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
Talking about salary cuts: Start with the politicians first! Do you chaps have a clue how overpaid are the South African politicians? A 5 X salary cut and they still earn more than the World's average although South Africa's economy has dropped below the average. Not even during the Apartheid years did the politicians screw the population so badly. This is "liberation" for you. #LiveWithIt

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Surprised nobody mentioned the most practical solution. Freeze salaries (no increases) for 1 or 2 years of every politician and employee of all state owned enterprises and government department including municipalities.

access

Executive Member
what!? only 10% will cover it? how much are they earning!? and this idea only hits them now?!

varke! ja blame the white ou.

#blackprivilege

thechamp

Honorary Master
Eskom staff received bonus twice last year, but other government employees has to have their salaries cut. Why don't they cut eskom salaries by 25%, I'm sure that would bring much more relief to the country. The execs that cause this sht should have their salaries halved, and those cnts in parliament that enabled the thieving bastards.
To be fair even Eskom employees do not deserve that, the average Eskom employee did not capture Eskom and looted it, I think we need to show a little respect to the guys who went out of their way to make the best of a very undesirable situation, I have nothing but respect to the guys who kept our lights on under very testing times and I feel it is very unfortunate that they are lumped together with all the looters.

If there is anyone who deserve a pay cut here it is all government officials who had the power to do something about this as well as all executives and board members who enabled the looting.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Surprised nobody mentioned the most practical solution. Freeze salaries (no increases) for 1 or 2 years of every politician and employee of all state owned enterprises and government department including municipalities.
You mad if you think the unions will allow a salary freeze.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
You mad if you think the unions will allow a salary freeze.
Do you blame them though? Why should the average worker that had ****all to do with the current fckup we find ourselves in, be made to pay for it?

BBSA

Honorary Master
Do you blame them though? Why should the average worker that had ****all to do with the current fckup we find ourselves in, be made to pay for it?
They are over paid, so a salary freeze would be fair. It will never happen except maybe when we are under IMF administration.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
They are over paid, so a salary freeze would be fair. It will never happen except maybe when we are under IMF administration.
Overpaid according to who? Do you know what a cleaner or secretary or admin clerk gets paid? I wouldn't say they are overpaid. I do believe however that their salaries are fair though as long as they can keep up with inflation. Freezing them, despite being a practical solution, would still hurt the average worker financially considering how expensive living costs are becoming.