Government employees face salary cuts to help fund Eskom

doubletrouble

Expert Member
Government body teachers get paid way more and get better perks like medical aid and housing allowances.
I have seen teachers get offered a salary of R8000 per month on a government body contract. So it depeneds on what school you get into.. same like the real world. Some private companies pay better than others. Some government departments pay better than others.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I have seen teachers get offered a salary of R8000 per month on a government body contract. So it depeneds on what school you get into.. same like the real world. Some private companies pay better than others. Some government departments pay better than others.
Exactly. The City Of Cape Town, for example, pays a lot more than Provincial Government Western Cape. It just depends where in government you work.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Fair enough. I can only go on the experiences my wife had as a teacher. At her school man the government positions were the best.

doubletrouble

Expert Member
Fair enough. I can only go on the experiences my wife had as a teacher. At her school man the government positions were the best.
Sorry I did not mean government body... I meant governing body. Government positions in general pay better than governing body positions. And contracts even better because of the 37% in lieu of benifits

thechamp

Honorary Master
Exactly. The City Of Cape Town, for example, pays a lot more than Provincial Government Western Cape. It just depends where in government you work.
I don't understand this, Education is a provincial thing, how do you differentiate between City of Cape Town teachers and WC teachers?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
The thought may be fine, but the application is clearly fscked up.

The state as a whole should never be the employer of choice in my opinion, in small isolated pockets yes, but overall no.
Agreed, especially in technical positions

R13...

Honorary Master
It does look like government spends too much money paying high salaries to admin type non service delivery people than they do people who deliver services like teachers, cops, nurses, etc. And I think it is the politicians' fault. The previous minister of health was bemoaning the fact that provinces hire too many clerks/admins and run the budget out instead of using the budget to prioritize clinical staff as an example.

doubletrouble

Expert Member
It does look like government spends too much money paying high salaries to admin type non service delivery people than they do people who deliver services like teachers, cops, nurses, etc. And I think it is the politicians' fault. The previous minister of health was bemoaning the fact that provinces hire too many clerks/admins and run the budget out instead of using the budget to prioritize clinical staff as an example.
agreed.

But I also think the problem is the cumbersome processes government admin staff need to adhere to. working with public funds very often requires many approvals, memos and processes to be completed which translates to a lot of administrative work to have something approved.

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
Still no sign of swine snouts being pulled from the trough.

They will not stop until there is NOTHING left. Not from government koffers and in the private sector. They will continue as long as there is money - hence the reason for EWC (which is not only applicable to properties) and Appropriations.

Sollie

Executive Member
the power utility was “too big to fail” and that its collapse would not only be felt by South Africans in general but Eskom's employees as well.
:unsure:

So I have gangrene in a limb. It's too important to me, so I refuse to have it amputated. Guess what next year ... ?

Mar Vin

Expert Member
I smile at the idea of having these heavily overpaid gov employees receive salary cuts. Also, this is not happening really.
Would have been great though.

Thor

Honorary Master
Define government employees.

MPs should be cut.

Teachers, not.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Define government employees.

MPs should be cut.

Teachers, not.
Depends on the teachers, there are some that need to be fired and coast along playing the system. I'm aware of an educator that was suspended 8 years ago on full pay, bonus and benefits and is yet to be disciplined by the department. The school and GB's hands are tied and can do nothing while this person takes up a slot and collects full benefits.