Government ministers owe millions in rent on houses paid for by taxpayers - Report

aleksandar

Expert Member
What do you mean by audit?
My wife every year has to fill in some sort of financial statement.
Basically what she owns, did she got any gifts, any directorships, shares... stuff like that.
Thing is she is not in any management or finance position and I'm guessing all government employees after certain level need to fill it in.
So audit could check if declared corresponds with reality.

Didn't we have case where some parliamentarians did not even declare their financial matters few years back?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
My wife every year has to fill in some sort of financial statement.
Basically what she owns, did she got any gifts, any directorships, shares... stuff like that.
Thing is she is not in any management or finance position and I'm guessing all government employees after certain level need to fill it in.
So audit could check if declared corresponds with reality.

Didn't we have case where some parliamentarians did not even declare their financial matters few years back?
I hear you, it sound like just a declaration, we also do that but I doubt anyone follows up to see if your declaration is truthful.

There's no proper audits.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
But there should be one, after few people get caught people will be more truthful.
Otherwise what is the point of declaration.
There's always plans that never seem to materialise.

Last edited:

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I hear you, it sound like just a declaration, we also do that but I doubt anyone follows up to see if your declaration is truthful.

There's no proper audits.

It's a baseline and declaration. If they find something later, the charge could be fraud and a termination of service.

Acid0

Expert Member
Why can't the rental just be a deduction from their salary? Or is this a too simplified thought?
It gets complicated, what if his four girlfriends occupy four houses?
He is not directly responsible for them but he does render services from them?

Nope its easier to just let the tax payer pay the monies there is a n endless supply of money in SA.
/s