Government must make a decision on e-tolls soon - SANRAL CEO

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Macozoma said Sanral is struggling to ensure its liquidity and it needs a resolution from the government as soon as possible on whether to scrap e-tolls to move forward and potentially recover from its dire financial situation.

Therein lies the answer ............ because regardless of what the government do, the people have decided for you.

Tell what Mr. Macaronzma ........... you can get your CV together. Lucky for you, wit ous dont generally get work in SA, so you should find a job quick stix ......

Dups!

Expert Member
Therein lies the answer ............ because regardless of what the government do, the people have decided for you.

Tell what Mr. Macaronzma ........... you can get your CV together. Lucky for you, wit ous dont generally get work in SA, so you should find a job quick stix ......

Is that some French guy :p

Anyway, thanks to all South Africans who gave the etolls the middle finger.

I am not paying a cent, the last time I paid was in 2016. They can bill me for as long as they want, screw them!

Last edited:

ConfusedR

Expert Member
Shame.............the ANC cadres and corrupt officials are not getting their money.
But they seeking other avenues to steal from...........mmmmmm.......the R500bil covid fund comes to mind with others on the list.

Deandbn

“All we are interested in is being funded so that we can do the work we need to do.”

No, all you are interested in is easy money.

To my mind tolls are almost pure funding profit with minimal costs. There should be no need for extra government funding at all ("to do the work we do" ).
It costs nearly R1000 in tolls for a round trip Durban - Jhbg at gated country tolls. They should be rolling in money considering that road construction income tax allocation is provided for by the national budget annually.
So actually, there is no need for tolls at all.

Lupus

Honorary Master
To my mind tolls are almost pure funding profit with minimal costs. There should be no need for extra government funding at all ("to do the work we do" ).
It costs nearly R1000 in tolls for a round trip Durban - Jhbg at gated country tolls. They should be rolling in money considering that road construction income tax allocation is provided for by the national budget annually.
So actually, there is no need for tolls at all.
I've just done the trip down to Durban and back, it's R500 for a round trip. Still pricey but it's not a grand

Swa

Honorary Master
“We are not pushing the e-toll agenda at all costs anymore,” he added.
So you did in the past?

Pt123

Will never pay e-toll. We are paying to much parasite tax in any case.

ProfA

Honorary Master
its such a simple easy decision. choose one or even both.

1. make the toll roads normal toll roads where people must stop and pay.
2. just add the toll fees as a tax to whatever. fuel tax. carbon tax. hell create a new tax for tyres.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master

2. just add the toll fees as a tax to whatever. fuel tax. carbon tax. hell create a new tax for tyres.
We have been having it....

This is in addition to five other environmental taxes which already exist: the plastic bag levy (implemented from 2004/05); the incandescent light bulb levy (2009/10); the electricity levy (2009/10); the CO₂ tax on vehicle emissions (2010/11); and the tyre levy (collected by SARS from 2016/17).

Deandbn

1. They are too greedy and want to be paid for each possible kilometer of road.
2. Gosh we already pay paye income tax that pays for all infrastructure including roads.. And as you say a tax on fuel..

From what I hear it seems that the company is mostly foreign-owned so I wonder whose Swiss bank account the money goes to

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
If SANRAL really wants the "paying" culture to come back then they should release each and every single tender awarded + costs etc etc to the general public - open your books up fully and let's see those smallenyana skeletons you are hiding. OUTA has already extensively done their homework on this E-Toll debacle. If SANRAL has nothing to hide, they have nothing to lose by being completely transparent.

Until then, we will vote with our wallets just like we do with SABC!

ProfA

Honorary Master
1. They are too greedy and want to be paid for each possible kilometer of road.
2. Gosh we already pay paye income tax that pays for all infrastructure including roads.. And as you say a tax on fuel..

From what I hear it seems that the company is mostly foreign-owned so I wonder whose Swiss bank account the money goes to
agree with you 100%. i was merely wondering why government isn't taking the easy way and just imposing a new tax or adding to an existing tax to which most South Africans wouldn't be the wiser.