Government must make a decision on e-tolls soon - SANRAL CEO

HowTo

Expert Member
Greed comes to mind. If you need more greed kicks in.
It has nothing to do about people that are poor. It never filters down.

Rest of the country don't contribute why only Gauteng. Are we the cash cow of sorts.

Stonemason

agree with you 100%. i was merely wondering why government isn't taking the easy way and just imposing a new tax or adding to an existing tax to which most South Africans wouldn't be the wiser.
Sanral rejected that option in the past saying that because cars were becoming more and more fuel efficient and because of the advent of electrical cars, a fuel tax was not sustainable.

Swa

Honorary Master
If SANRAL really wants the "paying" culture to come back then they should release each and every single tender awarded + costs etc etc to the general public - open your books up fully and let's see those smallenyana skeletons you are hiding. OUTA has already extensively done their homework on this E-Toll debacle. If SANRAL has nothing to hide, they have nothing to lose by being completely transparent.

Until then, we will vote with our wallets just like we do with SABC!
Won't use/pay for it regardless. They claimed that a fuel tax wasn't fair or feasible yet the fuel tax has gone up multiple times in the meantime. Wondering what happened to those SAA bailouts that money.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Won't use/pay for it regardless. They claimed that a fuel tax wasn't fair or feasible yet the fuel tax has gone up multiple times in the meantime. Wondering what happened to those SAA bailouts that money.
I have to disagree about not paying. I am more than happy to pay for a system that works and is not corrupt. I travel between PTA and JHB daily and I must say, the highway and road surface is top class. There are issues here and there but overall it feels world class.

Unless they actually ringfence the fuel taxes and create a completely transparent system, I doubt anyone will have the confidence to pay - I don't blame them if they don't. User pays principle isn't a SA only idea, it's implemented in many parts of the world. The manner in which SANRAL tried to implement it and the costs associated with it, is my issue.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I have to disagree about not paying. I am more than happy to pay for a system that works and is not corrupt. I travel between PTA and JHB daily and I must say, the highway and road surface is top class. There are issues here and there but overall it feels world class.

Unless they actually ringfence the fuel taxes and create a completely transparent system, I doubt anyone will have the confidence to pay - I don't blame them if they don't. User pays principle isn't a SA only idea, it's implemented in many parts of the world. The manner in which SANRAL tried to implement it and the costs associated with it, is my issue.
It's not top class at all. The surface is TERRIBLE especially in the wet.

Swa

Honorary Master

I'm not advocating not paying. I'm advocating that we already paid so shouldn't have to pay again. Also where are the alternatives? They took the only viable route and made it into a toll road which goes against the principles of tolling. Maybe if as you say they ring fenced it into the fuel levy we could have good national highways and not just in Gauteng. But we all know the ANC will never ring fence anything in this country.

grok

Honorary Master
e-Tolls? What e-Tolls?

LOL, let the ANC pay for their corrupt little scheme like they said they'll pay for their corrupt little flight to Zim.