Government proposes new free-to-air broadcast regulations

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has published its Draft Sports Broadcasting Services Amendment Regulations for public comment, aiming to make sporting events more accessible to the wider public.

Following the publication of the previous draft regulations, ICASA has published amended draft regulations which include an adapted list of sports that must be made free-to-watch in the public interest.

MikeaMatrix

Players, coaches, athletes looking at unemployment when they lose broadcast rights funding?

system32

Expert Member
“This situation contributes to the majority of South Africans being denied access to sports of national interest,” ICASA said.

Not denied access.
Pay and you can access.

justplain

Expert Member
Serious question, exactly what are the government or SABC going to do should DTSV say no.? Cancel their subscriptions?

ConfusedR

Expert Member
More free things for freeloaders while less than 5% of the population work to pay PAYE TAX.

Fox1

Executive Member
Sport broadcasts on DSTV have become dismal. Every 5 minutes there's a squeeze advert that reduces picture size or there's some logo jumping around the screen.

Azg

Expert Member
Surely the focus of government should be on sports development (schools, coaching etc) not who gets to watch what for free?
(I know different departments, but still same govt).

Swa

Honorary Master
Sport broadcasts on DSTV have become dismal. Every 5 minutes there's a squeeze advert that reduces picture size or there's some logo jumping around the screen.
That's your screen saver. :p

Swa

Honorary Master
Serious question, exactly what are the government or SABC going to do should DTSV say no.? Cancel their subscriptions?
You sure you're commenting on the correct thing here?

morbill

What happens when DSTV doesn't buy the rights of a particular sporting event?

system32

Expert Member
But, but, but the sports are free.
SS is included for free in your subscription to DSTV.
Pay for MNET and get SS for free.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
It could damage Multichoice significantly for which I don't mind not even a small bit!

RolloRavenscroft

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has published its Draft Sports Broadcasting Services Amendment Regulations for public comment, aiming to make sporting events more accessible to the wider public.

Following the publication of the previous draft regulations, ICASA has published amended draft regulations which include an adapted list of sports that must be made free-to-watch in the public interest.
So who is going to pay for the camera's\production\commentators at the events? Why would DSTV bother to spend the money to buy the broadcasting rights and then give them SABC for free?
The problem in the room is the SABC itself - looking for free handouts again.
The SABC can't pay for the brodcasts they have stolen\wasted\overpaid their cadres- the money is gone- so how do they propose getting the content to broadcast??
Not that I support DSTV in an anyway if they see their ass. I dont care I dont use them I watch on oversea channels.
DSTV ripped of the public when we had no choice now its an more open field and prople don't forget.

Last edited: