Government pushes for laws to regulate vaping – and a 100% ban on smoking in public areas

*TJR*

More people are murdered per year compared to smoking. Maybe they should ban that.

The Darkness

Expert Member
So wait, currently smoking is more lethal to our population than this Covid-19 thing?

Hmmm....
Just bc it's CV going around doesn't mean we have to stop everything else. Life goes on. I support this ban. Smoking is a filthy, selfish habit.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Except that **** with the man bun and the girly walk that walked in front of me on the pavement yesterday spewing massive (tm mybb) clouds of smoke that had me choking and needing to use my inhaler 5 minutes later.

So an open air area.
You could see the massive(tm) clouds of smoke.
You know you are sensitive to it.
And you chose to follow them at a close distance.
And now you want to complain.

Who is really being the inconsiderate ******* here?

Jase

Executive Member
How the hell did them boomers survive the 60's 70's 80's...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I have almost no issue with smokers but would be all for a ban in public spaces as people smoke in public places and non smokers have to walk through their stench.
I'm torn. I really don't enjoy people smoking when im eating or being forced to walk past a smoking area... but I'm also against over regulation.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Just bc it's CV going around doesn't mean we have to stop everything else. Life goes on. I support this ban. Smoking is a filthy, selfish habit.

Don't get me wrong, I would support an intelligent smoking ban in public places....

Restaurants and pubs and such should still be allowed to have smoking areas and things of that sort if its what their clientele want though.

Even as an ex-smoker I support further restrictions on smoking in public places in general, if only to control the cigarette butts that are just left all over the place.
I would also even support legislation that equates vaping to cigarettes from the way that are treated in terms of where they can be used.

neoprema

Executive Member
100% agree with this - it really isn't great walking anywhere or being on the beach or out for lunch and that smell hits you. Big thing for me is the kids that are exposed which isn't right
Exactly. They should make booths all over the place thats private and just big enough to stand in - where people can go in and shut it behind them an smoke inside so we don't have to put up with 2nd or 3rd degree smoke.

isie

Honorary Master
I'm torn. I really don't enjoy people smoking when im eating or being forced to walk past a smoking area... but I'm also against over regulation.

If only most smokers gave a **** and didn't carry on like idiots.

Honestly everytime you walk into or out of a mall or shopping center etc you have to pass by smokers, smoking right at the entrances / exits - they do not care who it affects, and you can say its not all of them - I agree its not but it's enough to be an issue.

Craig_

Honorary Master
So an open air area.
You could see the massive(tm) clouds of smoke.
You know you are sensitive to it.
And you chose to follow them at a close distance.
And now you want to complain.

Who is really being the inconsiderate ******* here?

The bloody c.nt spewed the smoke just as I was coming up right behind him, he should be the one mindful of his smoke, not me. Next time I'll this metrosexual hippy kind I'll know to cross the road in advance though, wasn't expecting that.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Bitching about smoking and 2nd hand smoke ,LOL , next time your neighbour fires up that braai, and the smoke drifts across to you, go bitch at them ,or you standing around the braai sucking on your bottle amid that smoke and compaining about how you are "forced to walk" through some guys 2nd hand smoke standing outside some mall, rather just pour your booze on the fire and put it out.

Wood smoke is uniquely toxic among all sources of urban air pollution. For example, the EPA estimates that the lifetime cancer risk from wood stove smoke is 12 times greater than that from an equal volume of secondhand tobacco smoke. Particles in wood smoke are extraordinarily small, behaving essentially like gases, making them easy to inhale but less likely to be exhaled. They are then distributed by the blood throughout the body, causing inflammation and biologic disruption wherever they go. Attached to these tiny particles are at least 200 of the most toxic compounds known -- dioxins, furans, formaldehyde, heavy metals and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. One fireplace burning 10 pounds of wood in an hour will generate nearly as many polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons as 3,000 packs of cigarettes. No one in their right mind, even a smoker, would think lighting up 3,000 packs of cigarettes every hour during a cozy winter evening would be a good idea.

The free-radical chemicals in wood smoke are active 40 times as long as those from cigarette smoke, resulting in a greatly prolonged opportunity to seriously damage cells. Studies show that even the chromosomes in those cells can be impaired literally within minutes of exposure.

if your neighbor is burning wood and you can smell smoke, you’re breathingpollution.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Bitching about smoking and 2nd hand smoke ,LOL , next time your neighbour fires up that braai, and the smoke drifts across to you, go bitch at them ,or you standing around the braai sucking on your bottle amid that smoke and compaining about how you are "forced to walk" through some guys 2nd hand smoke standing outside some mall, rather just pour your booze on the fire and put it out.

Only an arrogant, selfish smoker thinks like this

rietrot

Honorary Master

I just wish my neighbor would braai in the evening like a normal person, not in the middle of the day whe all my washing is outside.

TheJman

Expert Member
Only an arrogant, selfish smoker thinks like this

Felt exactly the same way.

The problem is - smokers lose their sense of smell.

Friend who smoked and then stopped admits that he honestly could tell how annoying the smell is until he quit. Problem is smokers are oblivious to how much it stinks! Call us Karen's all you want - I'll come fart in your food and tell how much you like it?

Jase

Executive Member
Cigarette smoke, braai smoke, car fumes, fast food outlet smells ... all :sick:

Ban them all I say!

The Darkness

Expert Member

Way to go! Strawman argument when things don't make sense to you. Hey, why not ban cars too then, or industry?
The point is that cigarette smokers need regulations to curb their selfish habit since they have no concept of the stink they exude in front of malls, on public walkways, and outside eateries.

zoozi

Expert Member
So a 100% outright ban is justified because a few people are arseholes about it? Where do you want people to smoke then? Go out for a meal and have to go for a smoke in your car with the windows closed? Wait till you get home? Kak stupid rule, just another lekker way to make criminals out of the smokers and dish out fines.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
So a 100% outright ban is justified because a few people are arseholes about it? Where do you want people to smoke then? Go out for a meal and have to go for a smoke in your car with the windows closed? Wait till you get home? Kak stupid rule, just another lekker way to make criminals out of the smokers and dish out fines.
Smoke where you dont stink up the place for others, ITS REALLY NOT THAT DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND