• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Government set on regulating YouTube, Netflix and other streaming services in South A

Marius Flash

Expert Member
This includes specific instances where the FPB will be allowed to regulate user-generated content (such as YouTube videos, pictures, and music), and possibly the blocking of non-compliant online distributors at an ISP level

Open that can of worms - why don't you !

Sumen

Expert Member
There's no reason to regulate, money needed somewhere and they found a way to extort money

Bizkit87

Executive Member
If they get anywhere close to it, here's what we do:

Get 100 people to constantly upload 10sec videos of Jacob Zuma with farting noises, upload 1000's a day, sit back and wait for 'gov' approval...

give them work for a change

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Communications minister Ayanda Dlodlo has confirmed that the government is close to revealing new extortion's dealing with South Africa’s shift away from television to online streaming services.
This will include extending the current rating system and content extorting regime to online content-providing services (like Netflix, and other streaming services).
This includes specific instances where the FPB will be allowed to extort user-generated content (such as YouTube videos, pictures, and music), and possibly the blocking of non-compliant online distributors at an ISP level.
FTFY

eg2505

Honorary Master
first SARS wants to "try" regulate and tax Bitcoin.

now FBP wants to try "regulate" online content, and get "TV-licences" from them.

next thing you will have to get a "license" to buy a computer, or much much worse, a "photocopier"
next they will try stick their nose into whatsapp, and "regulate" or ban in.
uber will be next I bet,

this Government really just wants to steal money, any way, shape or form it can.

really no point in trying government, its actually pointless, nobody really cares.
we will all just VPN and bypass like we always do

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
first SARS wants to "try" regulate and tax Bitcoin.

now FBP wants to try "regulate" online content, and get "TV-licences" from them.

next thing you will have to get a "license" to buy a computer, or much much worse, a "photocopier"
next they will try stick their nose into whatsapp, and "regulate" or ban in.
uber will be next I bet,

this Government really just wants to steal money, any way, shape or form it can.

really no point in trying government, its actually pointless, nobody really cares.
we will all just VPN and bypass like we always do
They will "regulate" vpn's next.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
and fail miserably,

unless they get their buddies in China to place SA behind "the great firewall"
but even then, people will get around it.
Yea I see VPN's and TOR becoming more popular. I also forsee the WUG stretching from Cape Town to Botswana.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Only problem I have with VPNs are that they slow down your experience quite a bit and some sites are blocked etc. Affects torrents, too. I've tried a few but they all act the same.