Government to crack down on piracy websites in South Africa

ajules

Expert Member
Well if this ever gets off the ground it will likely be in about 50 years time given this dept’s track record on delivery.Still waiting for digital migration and spectrum allocation to be a reality!!!!

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I am a little confused by this...

The government is now wanting the ISPs to help them police what is largely a civil issue and not a criminal one as far as I understand the vast majority of piracy in this country to be...

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
The problem with this plan is that it a doorway to monitoring all activity, and even though the monitored user may be a goody two-shoes it is about exercising control.

This whilst public monitoring in the streets are being scrutinised.

They have so many door ways that they have forgotten, exist, a few more to add to the confusion, will not hurt.

j4ck455

Executive Member
“Piracy is damaging to the sector, it is a worldwide problem, and with the emergence of online, it has become a very damaging issue.”
So one lonely cadre has only just realised that something called "online" emerged from the womb of technology? It happened a long time ago but good luck with your lame duck legislation and useless brainfarts.

Nemoneiros

Executive Member

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Can't help but think that this is all a strategy. First get rid of Netflix through stupid regulations, TV license idea, taxes ect. Then when people turn to piracy they try and block that. And then in comes the SABC's streaming service "to the rescue" :laugh:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Can't help but think that this is all a strategy. First get rid of Netflix through stupid regulations, TV license idea, taxes ect. Then when people turn to piracy they try and block that. And then in comes the SABC's streaming service "to the rescue" :laugh:

With their brand of content, forget it ...

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Does the minister of communications even know how to do this? Or is this part of their 4IR strategy (should've used " " as they don't understand what it's all about).

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Another load of tripe tabled in Parliament to create the impression that they're doing work.

Nothing will happen.

Zero

Zot

Niks

Nada

Fokkol

Char Aznable

IRC, darn, a long, long time since I was last on an IRC server, they still running. Thought everything had moved to Discord.

IRC is still very much alive and despite what many people think it's super easy to use. Discord is very limited when it comes to file transfers, plus it's extremely easy for a Discord channel to get banned/nuked for linking illegal content in it.

Swa

Honorary Master
So it's now tv licenses, stupid streaming regulations and government spying in my submission. Somehow I think they've never heard of due process.
Is there a problem? When the SABC switched to local content they lost viewers and advertisers. One can therefor surmise nobody wants to watch the crap or pirate it. So answer is no.
Is there an existing law to deal with it? There are many and we have law enforcement. Are they doing the job they should be doing? No.
Is the proposed solution the most unintrusive one available? No
Somehow I think it fails the legal test 3 times...