Government to sell stake in Telkom

requiem

Expert Member
For a great reduced price after the right kickbacks have been paid

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Government should just get out of the Telecommunications game completely, and regulate the market with input and assistance from the big 4, Maybe Telkom will have a chance under new ownership.

ttygt

This Zuma parasite and fellow fu@k3rs are getting desperate in his final 3-months, to suck the country dry.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Revenue shortfall forecasts:

R50.8 billion 2017/18

R69.3 billion 2018/19

R89.4 billion 2019/20********

Government going to be looking for new creative ways to milk the old cow

Temujin

Honorary Master
No need for this, just stop ****ing looting, charge those who have been and get the ****ing money back

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Hopefully now we can, one day, have a decent Telecommunications Leader in this country again after the anc has screwed it up.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
This is a good thing, right? Privatize it, get the guvvamehnt out, and start actually turning a profit. Make Telkom great again!

BBSA

Honorary Master
This is a good thing, right? Privatize it, get the guvvamehnt out, and start actually turning a profit. Make Telkom great again!

Telkom actually had a after-tax profit of R3.8bn.

They are selling a good asset, and put the proceeds in horrible assets (SAA and SABC)

This is not a good thing.

rietrot

Honorary Master

They are selling a good asset, and put the proceeds in horrible assets (SAA and SABC)

Any privatisation is a good thing. The way they are intending to use the proceeds is not that smart, but I don't think they were ever smart about how they work with money.

Little Mac

Honorary Master

Yep... unfortunately they don't have the access they require to the $$$ so their money is going to SAA and SABC where they can access it... that's how I see it. Just another way to access tax money they need to run a the current levels of mismanagement.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Any privatisation is a good thing. The way they are intending to use the proceeds is not that smart, but I don't think they were ever smart about how they work with money.
I know what you mean. Just want to add that privatisation itself is not enough. Deregulation is key, otherwise the State ends up with effective control through a hundred strings.

There is little or no benefit to society when mere blank ownership (equity) is moved from Caesar to citizen. For that ownership to mean anything for anyone other than the owners, the competitive landscape must be changed. The whole telecommunications regime must be deregulated as far as possible, allowing open and free competition with no barriers to entry, otherwise we just end up with a state-controlled cartel where the equity is in private hands and players dance to Caesar's tune and not to the market (ie customers). There is a word for a system of effective state control and private equity favouritism: Fascism.

Last edited:

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Employee buy-out !

I know what you mean. Just want to add that privatisation itself is not enough. Deregulation is key, otherwise the State ends up with effective control through a hundred strings.
Absolutely
Privatisation -- per se is not the magic wand it is made out to be
Lots more devils n the details

Anyone know WHO is buying these shares ?
I am betting NOT the employees ........

Sumen

Expert Member
That's why Telkom is doing better in terms of customer service and products, the government is getting less involved, government should sell every remaining share they have