Government will redistribute over 500,000 hectares of land in South Africa – here’s how it will work

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Gauteng and Western Cape have no land to be advertised, Didiza said.

I have to ask, conditionally, will this cause a public uproar, and perhaps result in exploring private alternatives within these two provinces?

It is noted that the applicants will enter a 30-year lease agreement with the state with the option to purchase which I believe is good, but the attached T&C's may prove to be too challenging in the long term. Those who apply need to be determined to do this.

I am happy the government took this approach, given the light that EWC is to be explored by a new committee but to have this work the government will need to work with private endeavours to ensure cooperation in supporting these individuals or groups.

This is also not anything new, this is a new window. Which begs the question, how many hectares are land which was already distributed, but didn't turn out to be productive?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I assume I'll get KZN with the inhabitants, and then they’ll work the land for me?

Or you could sublet to your productive neighbours :whistling:

My uncle in the Northern Cape, his neighbouring parcel have gone through this process now more than 3 times in ~10 years.

• Haha
Reactions: 3WA

ConfusedR

Another commission of enquiry incoming...........

So this will be a lease agreement.
- What happened to land expropriation without compensation?
- Only private land will be expropriated?...........pathetic

B-1

Sounds really good for once :unsure:

If farm managers on existing productive farms get a chance to farm their own land it would be great. I have to be a bit sceptical of our history on these types of projects though.

rietrot

Honorary Master
A step in the right direction definitely.

30 year leaseholds sounds a bit long for someone to proof themselves, but the option to buy is enncouraging.

A better option would just be to auction the land off and not worry about it.

Even if it is full of corruption and farms for friends this should still open up some land if those friends then sublease it.

It will do nothing to solve the land issues we have, because people want houses not farms.

Last edited:

Rajah

Honorary Master
I assume I'll get KZN with the inhabitants, and then they’ll work the land for me?

That would only work if you get kzn on condition that you drown all of it's inhabitants in the ocean. That'll do wonders for the value of the province.

Rajah

Honorary Master
Bit crap that the wc doesn't have these leases available.

B-1

It's more than enough for supplying a few local shops and markets with a constant stream of fresh produce if you stagger your crops.

Especially if they form a collective with others in the area. Will give buyers more confidence as well if the delivery of produce is not reliant on a single farm.

dunkyd

Expert Member
It's more than enough for supplying a few local shops and markets with a constant stream of fresh produce if you stagger your crops.
Oh kak, there will be 3 mielies, and old man sitting on a three legged stool under a leafless tree smoking his pipe whilst a one eyed mongrel called Lucky licks his balls in the shade...

Norrad

Expert Member
Sahara desert started like this......
Bwahahahahahahaha, the Sahara started from a change in weather patterns. Humans had zero effect on it, especially seen as though the worldwide population at the time was likely around 5 million people.