Government will redistribute over 500,000 hectares of land in South Africa – here’s how it will work

Zophos

Expert Member
And exactly who was I calling a racist there?
The issue with some of you is that instead of addressing the message, you address the messenger.

And the issue with some of you is that you assume that some of us are all the same... :)

Anyway, back on topic...

"Beneficiary responsibilities

Didiza said that all beneficiaries who have been allocated state land and signed lease agreements will be subjected to a compulsory training programme.

The training programme will include entry-level training on the commodity of their choice, basic record keeping, and basic financial management as well as enterprise development."

In my opinion, this is a step in the right direction.

Rajah

Honorary Master
And the issue with some of you is that you assume that some of us are all the same... :)

Anyway, back on topic...

"Beneficiary responsibilities

Didiza said that all beneficiaries who have been allocated state land and signed lease agreements will be subjected to a compulsory training programme.

The training programme will include entry-level training on the commodity of their choice, basic record keeping, and basic financial management as well as enterprise development."

In my opinion, this is a step in the right direction.

And this was also what they should've done from the start.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am curious, the government won't simply drop EWC. People who are supporting EWC are under the impression that they will be given land, and now that the government has opened a new window to distribute land under a lease scheme with the option to purchase it may turn out to be problematic. EWC will then be a state-ownership program? Say EWC happens within the next 10 or 30 years, will those who participate in this current program still be bind to their lease? #PayBackTheMoney

grok

Honorary Master
Watch the fatcats occupy, its mos what they do.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I am curious, the government won't simply drop EWC. People who are supporting EWC are under the impression that they will be given land, and now that the government has opened a new window to distribute land under a lease scheme with the option to purchase it may turn out to be problematic. EWC will then be a state-ownership program? Say EWC happens within the next 10 or 30 years, will those who participate in this current program still be bind to their lease? #PayBackTheMoney
The option to buy does inticate that someone in the decision making process is not a complete communist. That's good

Ryansr

Expert Member
This could be good or bad, will have to wait and see. Please don't spoil the ending. :popcorn:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The option to buy does inticate that someone in the decision making process is not a complete communist. That's good

The option has been added to PLAS I believe in 2013 with the State Lease and Disposal Policy, but that the lessee only had the option to purchase once the lease term achieved 50 years which I guess is now reduced to 30 years. The model as we know it has been in place since 2006 which expanded on then already instituted land redistribution policies. The reason why I guess is due to no new legislation or amendments been made, the old laws still apply, but with a new period.

News24 had an article on it,

https://www.news24.com/fin24/economy/south-africa/land-reform-is-captured-20170224

and here is the policy, p25-26,

http://www.ruraldevelopment.gov.za/...land_lease_and_disposal_policy_25july2013.pdf (PDF)

The call on this option was made in 2011, though I don’t know when the policy was billed, it was legislated 2 years later.

Strictly speaking, state-ownership under a probation period and once expired the option to purchase is made available.

All that has changed is the reduction in the probation period.

John_Phoenix

Very small scale, plus you would need stupidly good luck with the soil and general climate variables.

Grapes also take years to mature, it's the multi-generational long game.

I would carve up the area, build infrastructure (solar / water reservoir), set up camps for porkers and chickens, and then grow as many a variety of fruit and veg as the land could reasonably manage.

Maybe some horses, but that would be more of a sideline activity.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Subsistence farming. Just like Zimbabwe. Take a farm that has fed the country for decades, chop it up into smaller pieces, then hand it out to 17-year old "war veterans" who use it to farm vegetables for their families. Of course, they have no clue what they're doing, so the majority of the land just dies, and becomes unfarmable anyway. And the country starves.

An even better idea would be take the millions they've spent trying to bail out SAA and every other parastatal they've mismanaged into the ground, invest it in agricultural academies to train potential, interested applicants what to do with the land once they have it, then buy the land from the existing farmers, and only sign it over to the new farmers once they're properly qualified.

Or, you know, watch the country go hungry in a few years. Just like Zimbabwe.

Spliffcat

Executive Member
We demand a house.
We demand Mercedes Benz.
We demand tractor.
We demand sheep.
We demand cattles.
We demand money.
We don't want land with nothing on it.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
How many ANC relatives are suddenly going to coming into some land soon?

access

Honorary Master
Very small scale, plus you would need stupidly good luck with the soil and general climate variables.

Grapes also take years to mature, it's the multi-generational long game.

I would carve up the area, build infrastructure (solar / water reservoir), set up camps for porkers and chickens, and then grow as many a variety of fruit and veg as the land could reasonably manage.

Maybe some horses, but that would be more of a sideline activity.

i know of a few doing the grape thing in very small scale like this. its more of a side project than anything else though.

Subsistence farming. Just like Zimbabwe. Take a farm that has fed the country for decades, chop it up into smaller pieces, then hand it out to 17-year old "war veterans" who use it to farm vegetables for their families. Of course, they have no clue what they're doing, so the majority of the land just dies, and becomes unfarmable anyway. And the country starves.

An even better idea would be take the millions they've spent trying to bail out SAA and every other parastatal they've mismanaged into the ground, invest it in agricultural academies to train potential, interested applicants what to do with the land once they have it, then buy the land from the existing farmers, and only sign it over to the new farmers once they're properly qualified.

Or, you know, watch the country go hungry in a few years. Just like Zimbabwe.

as if this government would do anything that yields a return on investment.

they have no clue how to handle the amounts of money they work with, its why they just piss it out against the wall with no return in sight. if in trouble just beg for more.