Governments and police must take crime on the internet seriously. It is where we all live now

Sollie

Expert Member
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...n-view-on-cybercrime-the-law-must-be-enforced

Governments and police must take crime on the internet seriously. It is where we all live now

About half of all property crime in the developed world now takes place online. When so much of our lives, and almost all of our money, have been digitised, this is not surprising – but it has some surprising consequences. For one thing, the decline in reported property crimes trumpeted by successive British governments between 2005 and 2015 turns out to have been an illusion. Because banks were not required to report fraud to the police after 2005, they often didn’t. It would have made both banks and police look bad to have all that crime known and nothing done about it. The cost of the resulting ignorance was paid by the rest of government, and by the public, too, deprived of accurate and reliable knowledge.
Since then, the total number of property crimes reported has risen from about 6m to 11m a year as the figures have taken computerised crime into account.

Sollie

Expert Member
It took 10 years for the British government to acknowledge that so much crime was taking place online. How many more years will it take before any government sets out to fight it?
Considering the UK and EU is so far ahead of us in terms of privacy and cyber ... :rolleyes:

Jabulani22

Seems like a case of taking the easy road on crime here , wait until they start arresting people for whatever they deem is a violent online offense then turn around and say they are winning the fight on violent crime.

Sollie

Expert Member
I'd rather safer streets than safer internet but whatever.
Yet when you end up on the street because your details were compromised and used to destroy not only your personal finances, but also that of your business, you have to report it to the cops. Meanwhile the bank will say you dished out your password which is not always true, but a convenient excuse. Welcome to South Africa.

Hansolo

I've heard if you've had a phone stolen. And you can see the phone location and even sometimes see pictures of the perps. SA Police will just fob you off. Is this true?

Yeah tell that to the raped people.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44697788

A US mum has written a Facebook post describing her shock at seeing her child's avatar being "gang raped" by others in the online game Roblox.

Amber Petersen said her seven-year-old was playing the game, which is marketed at children, when she showed her the screen and asked what was happening.

She also shared screenshots, which showed two male avatars attacking her daughter's female character.

Roblox said it had banned the player who carried out the action.

Ms Petersen said in her post that she felt "traumatised and violated on so many levels" following the experience.

nightjar

Expert Member
We have had an ECT Act in effect for the past 16 years which mandated the role of Cyber Inspectors, we can just ask one of them. Oh wait...
I would guess that the majority of our police have no idea about the difference between the internet & Interpol

Moto Guzzi

Last 30 years very high level crime has shifted to the digital space, digitally assisted smartly embedded costs added wily nilly, just give the cost a name, and simply deduct it. This will bring captalism to a halt, by selfimplosion. THe poor and the middle class will end up marching like an army squadron in one spot, living a life of nothing, as the money comes in its aready alloocated to be channeled and out again. Now this is what is poorly understood, and the longer the wait, the deeper and more sofisticated the embedments, and then a generation or two of STILL-PEOPLE will follow, till somebody eventually wakes up. The fun part already has started where the Superrich has started to eat into each other and destroy everything smaller in its path.

Sollie

Expert Member
As opposed to philosophizing on it, download a report issues by Agari today, showing how this affects all of us.

Why did masego.kgasi<at>dtps-gov.org ask me, note - me :unsure:, for a quote on RP45H 4.4KW WALL MOUNTED AIR CONDITIONERS? Like the other businesses who may respond.

What is this? https://www.dtps.gov.za/index.php?o...ert-2&catid=13:statements-releases&Itemid=138

Oh dang: http://www.westairconditioning.co.za/products/air-conditioning/14.html
Anybody in Parow to go check out that address so I may quote and pay upfront?

@Jan @Jamie McKane

Thorium

I would guess that the majority of our police have no idea about the difference between the internet & Interpol
You reckon that "Cyber Inspectors" are a figment of the imagination? What other features of the Act are vapour and hot air?