• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Govt considering price ceiling for unleaded petrol

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Why are we still saying UNleaded, its not as if you can find leaded petrol somewhere, unless you have a Delorean
I call it unleaded and lrp, that's how the pumps are labeled.

The EWN and ENCA articles are much better. The govt is proposing setting a maximum 93 price and letting fuel stations offer discounts. That works in the LPG sector as each month they set a maximum price not a retail price.

Also, I haven't experienced the lpg shortage yet, and the price max has been in for 8 years.

I do wish that I could buy 93 in Cape Town.

ambroseg1

Executive Member

The EWN and ENCA articles are much better. The govt is proposing setting a maximum 93 price and letting fuel stations offer discounts. That works in the LPG sector as each month they set a maximum price not a retail price.

Also, I haven't experienced the lpg shortage yet, and the price max has been in for 8 years.

I am sure the fuel station in the middle of nowhere will be fair with its pricing.

They won't. They rely on this income to pay grants and keep the gravy train going. Even if they do place a cap, this cap will be reviewed and probably raised along with each new price increase.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
This is actually a very irritating response. Fixing unleaded fuel, is only going to help most private individuals with a bit of fuel pain. The vast majority of this country runs on diesel: food, public transportation, logistics etc. So while yah, we save a bit on a drive to work, food inflation skyrockets.

Talk about being out of touch.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I am sure the fuel station in the middle of nowhere will be fair with its pricing.
How's there any more incentive to cheat under the proposed system than the current one?

My biggest concern would be refiners limiting the amount of 93 produced.

They won't. They rely on this income to pay grants and keep the gravy train going. Even if they do place a cap, this cap will be reviewed and probably raised along with each new price increase.
Taxes are a fixed cost per litre, not a percentage of the price. Higher retail prices don't raise govt revenue.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
This is actually a very irritating response. Fixing unleaded fuel, is only going to help most private individuals with a bit of fuel pain. The vast majority of this country runs on diesel: food, public transportation, logistics etc. So while yah, we save a bit on a drive to work, food inflation skyrockets.

Diesel is already free floating not so? That is why you can get diesel cheaper at certain filling stations.

A lot of the petrol stations also sell diesel at discounted rates for limited times (e.g. weekends) or competes with the one down the road to offer a cheap price.

Emjay

Expert Member

In other words they want the petrol station owners to take a hit on their profits, and sell it at next to cost?

There is really not much room for "fixing" prices, except along the supply chain, and /or reducing taxes.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Another solution would be to do what the rest of the world does, stop being bloody lazy and fill our own tanks. But then it's the jobs, what about the jobs... In reality why do we have to keep holding the country back because of the jobs, I mean there is a packing person at shopping centers, their entire job is to pack your bags for you? WTF!!!