Govt considering price ceiling for unleaded petrol

konfab

Honorary Master
Yup... to keep the hoenderhokke going... i.e. cars that should have been destroyed more than 10 years ago, but are still on our roads, presenting a hazard to not only the occupants, but the other road users too.
The People's Republic of South Africa is not known for its widespread, reliable and low cost public transport system. A lot of people don't really have a choice in the matter.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Wool over our eyes.

"You spoke! We listened! We understand pressure our people are under as a result of recent fuel increases! (breaks into song) Yinde lendlela esiyihambayo. Kwasho uMandela...

Yeah this is how JZ would've presented the idea to the public.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Fix the economy and the exchange rate. That's half the problem of fuel price. The other half is from oil price going back up to 110$ after being stuck at 60$.
No it's got nothing to do with that. Oil has been this high before, in fact it 2013 and petrol was R13 not R17. So yeah exchange rate and oil price not the issue.

Moto Guzzi

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I said reliable and low cost.

Those two words are. Not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the taxis.
So what alternative should replace these 100's of thousands of taxis on our streets, that will meet YOUR parameters of reliable and low cost?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
spice4life dot co dot za? Any chance this was just a stock pic for a story they were running? SA cabs don't mount the yellow light on top anymore.

Probably somewhere north of our borders.
There are subtle differences. View attachment 569635
View attachment 569637
I Googled "south african taxi ranks" and went to "images".
Grabbed a pic and posted it.
Since I grabbed the wrong one, my point is immediately null and void.
Subsequently there is no public transport available for the millions of daily commuters in South Africa.

Congratulations. You win.

3WA

Expert Member
It boggles one's mind, while the price are low accumulation of crude oil is not a priority, that is the very basis for displaying understanding of the meaning of the term called "SAVE" and showing the ability to have foresight, a necessary type of intelligence to keep on excisting. This up and down is just a nonsense practise.
Oh ome on! Strategic oil rotation is a brilliant strategy. Buy high, sell low, cut the price further, look confused.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Subsequently there is no public transport available for the millions of daily commuters in South Africa.

Because everything on google is true. No need to get your panties in a knot. I was merely pointing out an error in your post. We're not competing.

rietrot

Honorary Master

Taxis are expensive and not always reliable. I compared cost of travelling with some of my colleagues who use taxis and it's about the same as what I pay for petrol to travel in my own car.

The hole point of public transport is that it should be cheaper.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Taxis are expensive and not always reliable. I compared cost of travelling with some of my colleagues who use taxis and it's about the same as what I pay for petrol to travel in my own car.

The hole point of public transport is that it should be cheaper.
But minus the cost of the car however.

This isn't Narnia, it's the real world. Of course everything should be cheaper...that's the dream.

Imagine no taxis at all....

access

Executive Member
but all the petrol stations can charge at maximum price ceiling. then government will adjust the price ceiling every month instead of the fuel price.

lol