• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

gr8signal - help to measure SA's mobile networks

system32

Expert Member
Great (gr8) idea and application.

An independent view of network coverage in SA.

Recommend all (Android) users install the app.
Not sure what happens if you don't have wifi to upload - enable Turbo Mode?

Grubscrew

Expert Member
I like it, would be interesting to see what the networks will say about the constant red areas

dawbomb

It's going to be interesting to see how much of the country is going to be red when the map gets updated next - I imagine that the number of people with the app installed has more than doubled today :)

Prediction: what's shown on gr8signal is going to differ from the "official" operator-supplied signal maps quite substantially!

gr8signal

Hi Calypso

For one the application is focused only on South Africa so hopefully we'll give a better view on whats going specifically for our country.

Also with registration you will be able to download the data you logged. That way you can also get more information from it. ( We should be enabling all the accounts at the latest by tomorrow hopefully latter today.)

gr8signal

Great (gr8) idea and application.

An independent view of network coverage in SA.

Recommend all (Android) users install the app.
Not sure what happens if you don't have wifi to upload - enable Turbo Mode?
The application can upload over 3G if you choose to. By default it will only try over wifi though.

MKFrost

Expert Member
According to Cell C coverage map I'm well into 3G coverage area. According to gr8signal and my phone best is Edge.

The gr8signal map is going to make for interesting viewing in weeks to come.

wez1007

Installed the app and got a mate to do the same. we just took a walk around our local area one phone on mtn the other on vodacom. lets see what the logs say! will prolly jump in the car next weekend and take a drive around our town. try complete the map..

i think this is a brilliant idea. lets hope the cellular providers take a look at it!

one thing that needs to be improved: when there is no signal it doesn't report the cellular providers name. is it possible to allow selecting your provider each time the app starts?

gr8signal

If anyone on the forum would like me to unlock their account now after registering (till we unlock it for everyone). Please just drop us an email at support@gr8signal.co.za and we'll get your account unlocked during the testing period.

Last edited:

system32

Expert Member
The application can upload over 3G if you choose to. By default it will only try over wifi though.
Lot's of people I know, only have 3G on their phones (no WiFi).
What happens to these samples?
You should default to 3G, and allow the option of WiFi.

rorz0r

Executive Member
They won't upload until that phone goes on WiFi or upload over 3g is enabled. There will be a notification showing a whole lot of pending signals to upload.