gr8signal - help to measure SA's mobile networks

bdt

Executive Member
If anyone on the forum would like me to unlock there account now after registering (till we unlock it for everyone). Please just drop us an email at support@gr8signal.co.za and we'll get your account unlocked during the testing period.
*cough* "their"..and, while I'm sure it's being being utterly stupid, I can't find anywhere to register an account for add to the "Tracking ID" field in the app, input please?

gr8signal

Back on topic, trying not to engage childish reps :rolleyes:

Question about the app, if you are on WIFI only, would it still detect the signal in terms of DATA quality?
I see even if my DATA connection is "off", it still shows whats is actually going on with the reception.

Thanks
Hi marine1

Sorry not totally sure if I understood the question correctly.

The signal strength is independent of what connection type your using. If I understand correctly android reports on the capability advertised by the tower and what its allowed to use(If you say only edge it will only report that) and that's what we'll record.

When you disable data you are more telling your phone not connect to the data network but it can still see it.

This is what testing seem to indicate.

Though this may differ from phone to phone. For instance some phones only report bars, some only dBm and some both.

Hope I've answered the question you asked.

gr8signal

We run the tile update scripts every 12 hours. Though the tiles are advertised to be cacheable to 12 hours. So to be safe you could say the tiles should update every 24 hours. (Assuming you don't have a proxy caching the images longer)

We are planning on increasing the updates as time goes by. Though were also going to be adding for map types soon (cell tower locations etc) and at that time may change the times depending on server load and data volume.

gr8signal

*cough* "their"..and, while I'm sure it's being being utterly stupid, I can't find anywhere to register an account for add to the "Tracking ID" field in the app, input please?
Hi bdt

If you go to http://gr8signal.co.za with a pc. (Sorry we don't have registration on the mobile site just yet should be coming in a week.)

Click on the register on the top right.

Once registration is done and you've logged in you'll now have a "My Data" link available on the top right. Once you've clicked on that it will take you to where you can get your tracking id to paste into your phone under settings.

Once you've logged some data with the tracking ID you can download it from the same location.

marine1

Honorary Master
Hi marine1

Sorry not totally sure if I understood the question correctly.

The signal strength is independent of what connection type your using. If I understand correctly android reports on the capability advertised by the tower and what its allowed to use(If you say only edge it will only report that) and that's what we'll record.

When you disable data you are more telling your phone not connect to the data network but it can still see it.

This is what testing seem to indicate.

Though this may differ from phone to phone. For instance some phones only report bars, some only dBm and some both.

Hope I've answered the question you asked.
Excellent thats exactly what was asked and you answered it 100%.
Thanks
Will be uploading as often as humanly possible.

Borrels

Great idea and awesome app.

My perception of my signal strength at home is that it depends a lot on the time of day. How is this handled by the app/site? If it shows a green patch at a specific location-service provider point, I assume this is just the average of all inputs received. It would be interesting to see how this changes for peak and off-peak period. Maybe a 'time of day' filter on the map, similar to Google Maps's traffic filter.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Gr8 stuff!
I'll be installing this later.
So just to clarify, the app logs signal strength all the time, presumably as you connect to different cell towers etc. Then, when you connect to wifi it uploads all the logs?
Hence, keeping my data connection off most of the time won't affect it, right?

marine1

Honorary Master
What seems to be happening all over, well so far at least, on Vodacom, signal is anything but stable, percentages fluctuate from 15% - up to 100%.
It happens literally a few meters away.
So you would be on 100% then drive a few meters down the road and it drops to 20%.
Interesting how the signal is not stable at all, this is in Douglasdale, Fourways area.

I have uploaded the stats.

bdt

Executive Member
Once registration is done and you've logged in you'll now have a "My Data" link available on the top right. Once you've clicked on that it will take you to where you can get your tracking id to paste into your phone under settings.

Once you've logged some data with the tracking ID you can download it from the same location.
Okay thanks, having gotten over my PICNIC error :erm: I'm registered and set to go - in turbo mode, FWIW. So now, I'll get data only post-reg, yes?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I've had it installed since the MyBB conference, but I'm not sure what it is supposed to be doing.

marine1

Honorary Master
I've had it installed since the MyBB conference, but I'm not sure what it is supposed to be doing.
As I understand it, you use it, hit upload and it logs on the map, quality of the network you are on etc.
Then you go onto the map and you can actually see REAL stats and quality of the networks and not rely on their rubbish advertising

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
OK, I can see my signals around my house (which look pretty weak), but I can't see any signals uploaded around my office.

bdt

Executive Member
I doubt the networks will be too happy about this.
TFB, it's not like they care about responding to us, telling us the truth or, you know, giving more than a flying duck :erm: about us beyond billing.

gr8signal

Great idea and awesome app.

My perception of my signal strength at home is that it depends a lot on the time of day. How is this handled by the app/site? If it shows a green patch at a specific location-service provider point, I assume this is just the average of all inputs received. It would be interesting to see how this changes for peak and off-peak period. Maybe a 'time of day' filter on the map, similar to Google Maps's traffic filter.
Hi Borrels

The application when not in turbo mode logs signal every 5 minutes and then attempts to upload every 15.

When in turbo mode it will also log on tower change (In future versions this will change to x meters moved when in turbo mode).

So it should get the signal variation through the day. Currently we are only plotting average while the the map get's filled in.

We are planning on showing more map variations as time goes buy to try give more relevant information.

I know the team is hoping to release the tower layer later today.

gr8signal

Gr8 stuff!
I'll be installing this later.
So just to clarify, the app logs signal strength all the time, presumably as you connect to different cell towers etc. Then, when you connect to wifi it uploads all the logs?
Hence, keeping my data connection off most of the time won't affect it, right?
Hi Borrels

Yes keeping your data connection off should have no effect on the logging.

The logging is a mixture of tower change and time depending if in turbo mode or not.

gr8signal

What seems to be happening all over, well so far at least, on Vodacom, signal is anything but stable, percentages fluctuate from 15% - up to 100%.
It happens literally a few meters away.
So you would be on 100% then drive a few meters down the road and it drops to 20%.
Interesting how the signal is not stable at all, this is in Douglasdale, Fourways area.

I have uploaded the stats.
Hi marine1

Yes I know some of the people in the office have started using it to wonder round with the app open to find the best signal before making a call when in a bad signal area.

It interesting to see which spots in the office have better signal and which have bad.

gr8signal

Okay thanks, having gotten over my PICNIC error :erm: I'm registered and set to go - in turbo mode, FWIW. So now, I'll get data only post-reg, yes?
Yes we will only show logs from the point where you put the tracking id in. It was the best idea we could come up with to try and reduce privacy issues.

Also if you remove the tracking id logs from then till you put it back in won't appear.