Grace Mugabe 'assaulted' me with an extension cord

schumi

Honorary Master
DA goes to ConCourt to have Mugabe immunity set aside

Cape Town - The Democratic Alliance (DA) has applied for direct access to the Constitutional Court to have the diplomatic immunity granted to Zimbabwe's first lady Grace Mugabe set aside.

The party filed papers this week arguing International Relations and Co-operation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane's decision to let Mugabe off the hook for alleged assault was "wholly without legal merit", and should be declared invalid.

Mugabe was accused of beating South African model Gabriella Engels, 20, with an extension cord in Sandton on August 13, during a visit with her two sons who are staying in Johannesburg.

"The DA believes that the decision by the minister, in granting immunity, was hasty, embarrassing and above all, illegal and unconstitutional," DA federal council chairperson James Selfe said.

"It is frankly unconscionable that after the scathing ruling by the Constitutional Court in the [Sudan President Omar] Al-Bashir matter, that the ANC-led government would once again let a high profile person escape justice in South Africa."

It was clear that Mugabe was granted immunity simply to shield her from being tried in a court of law for her assault on Engels and two others, Selfe argued.

Condoning such behaviour, as the granting of immunity did, could not possibly be in the interest of South Africa. "There is therefore no legal basis for such a decision."

Grace Mugabe was not a member of the Zimbabwean government and was in South Africa on personal business, he continued.

There was nothing in either South African or international law which rendered her deserving of diplomatic immunity, and was an example of an abuse of statutory powers at the expense of citizens.

Engels, President Jacob Zuma, Nkoana-Mashabane and National Director of Public Prosecutions Shaun Abrahams have all been listed as respondents.

The DA has also applied for costs to be sought, and said the "precedent-setting nature" of the minister's decision required direct access to the highest court in the land, and their employment of two counsel.

Nkoana-Mashabane this week said her decision was "painful" and "agonising". That has not spared her receiving widespread criticism in civil society.

The portfolio committee on international relations and co-operation resolved on Wednesday to invite the minister to explain her decision in Parliament at the soonest possible date.

Mugabe returned back to Zimbabwe on Sunday.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/da-goes-to-concourt-to-have-mugabe-immunity-set-aside-20170825

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
DA jumping on the pissing into the wind band wagon. suppose someone has to. even if just for the fairy tale of justice

schumi

Honorary Master
Solidarity march, rally for Grace Mugabe on today after SA assault scandal

Harare – Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe's ruling Zanu-PF party has called for a march and rally in Harare on Wednesday to show solidarity with under-fire First Lady Grace Mugabe who received condemnation after her South African "wrath".

Grace assaulted 20-year-old South African model Gabriella Engels with an extension cord two weeks ago and severely injured her after she found her with one of her two sons, Bellarmine Chatunga, at a hotel in Sandton.

Following a police report by Engels, the First Lady was granted diplomatic immunity by South African authorities in a move that was criticised by human rights organisations in both Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Zanu-PF's political commissar for Harare Province, Shadreck Mashayamombe, said the procession would culminate in a rally at the party's headquarters in downtown Harare.

President Mugabe and his wife were expected to address the Zanu-PF supporters, who were reportedly set to be drawn from all the country’s provinces.

Machinery in motion

"Zanu-PF Harare provincial executive is hereby inviting all members of the party and all progressive Zimbabweans to attend a solidarity meeting of the First Lady Dr Grace Mugabe on Wednesday 30 August 2017 at Zanu-PF HQ," read an internal memo signed by Mashayamombe.

Following the notice of the meeting, another notice released by Abicia Ushewokunze, the ruling party’s information and publicity secretary for Harare Province, said that prior to the rally, there would be marches from different points in the capital to the ruling party’s headquarters .

Zanu-PF had already put its machinery into motion, with another notice from the party’s Masvingo provincial commissar, Jeppy Jaboon, requesting the Zanu-PF party faithful to contribute towards Wednesday’s event.

"This is an opportunity for us to prove our allegiance to our President VaMugabe (Mr Mugabe). We are inviting everyone for this important meeting. We will be expecting each constituency to be represented, at least provide a bus," said Jaboon.

Violence

The rally was jointly organised by a war veterans' group led by Manicaland Provincial Affairs Minister Mandiita Wepi Chimene.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe's main opposition Movement for Democratic Change party led by Morgan Tsvangirai and other civic groups criticised the planned procession and rally .

"Every sane person out there knows that Zimbabwe is run by a deeply entrenched and fascist Zanu-PF dictatorship fronted by Robert Mugabe. Instead of organising a so-called solidarity rally in support of Grace Mugabe, Mandi Chimene and others of her ilk should actually be organising a demonstration against violence; particularly violence against women and the girl child," said MDC spokesperson Obert Gutu.

"The whole world knows that Grace Mugabe brutally assaulted a young woman aged 20, Gabriella Engels, in South Africa, a few weeks ago. Grace is the aggressor and Engels is the victim. Where in the decent and normal world would you get a solidarity march being organised in support of a violent and aggressive bully? Chimene doesn't sound like she is in control of her faculties."

News24
http://www.news24.com/Africa/Zimbabwe/solidarity-march-rally-for-grace-mugabe-on-today-after-sa-assault-scandal-20170830

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
Shame poor Grace. I rate the Zimbo embassy in Pretoria should also have a march out in the open in the streets here. Let the two Mugarbage kids join the protest in solidarity of their mommy. Cummon Zimbo... Show us you're serious. We dare you.

Daruk

Honorary Master
^^:crylaugh:
Will add to funny pics thread if you haven't already

schumi

Honorary Master
Bursary and other support pours in for #GraceMugabe victim

Cape Town - Support for model Gabriella Engels, who was assaulted by Zimbabwean First Lady Grace Mugabe, has continued to pour in as two women, one of them from Cape Town, secured the 20-year-old a bursary to complete a make-up artistry course at Face to Face Beauty & Make-up Design School.

Civil rights organisation AfriForum, which has taken on Engels’s legal fight, has welcomed the offer.

Angela Botha from Kommetjie acted as a link between the beauty school’s principal, Shirley Wenman, and AfriForum.

Botha had posted a message of support for Engels on a Facebook community group, which Wenman saw.

The women soon interacted on the post, and Wenman then asked Botha to liaise with AfriForum, which Botha said she did.

Botha said she considered Engels to be a brave role model.

“Some people picked on her and said nasty things. Her fight then became my cause. I contacted AfriForum and they were delighted,” Botha said.

Wenman said she admired Engels for standing up to Mugabe.

“After reading about how Grace hit her and seeing the wounds, my heart broke. My first thought was that make-up will be able to cover the scar she will have on her forehead for the rest of her life. I then read that she has refused a bribe, and I said I needed to do something to show I admire her,” Wenman said.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/bursary-and-other-support-pours-in-for-gracemugabe-victim-10994830

schumi

Honorary Master
Minister rejected invitation to explain Grace Mugabe decision

Cape Town - International Relations and Co-operation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane rejected Parliament's invitation to account for her decision to grant Zimbabwean First Lady Grace Mugabe diplomatic immunity.

Nkoana-Mashabane responded to the portfolio committee on international relations' invitation in a letter dated August 28 indicating her refusal, which was only made available to the committee on Wednesday.

The minister said that the initial request was made on August 23, but the Democratic Alliance then took the matter to the North Gauteng High Court the following day.

"As such this matter is now before the courts, and therefore deemed sub-judice. I hereby request the portfolio committee to consider this matter after the courts shall have adjudicated on it," the minister's letter reads.

Sub-judice means a matter is under judicial consideration and is therefore prohibited from public discussion elsewhere.

DA MP Stevens Mokgalapa, who made the initial request for the minister to appear, said it was a blatant misuse of the sub-judice rule, and did not apply in the Mugabe case.

ZUMA on Grace Mugabe: I don't know the reasons for Grace Mugabe's exit

"The role of oversight and accountability cannot be overruled by this sub-judice rule and this is a poor attempt by the Minister to escape accountability," he said in a statement on Wednesday.

Committee chairperson Siphosezwe Masango had said the minister's letter had "slipped his mind" until the issue was raised again on Wednesday, hence the late reveal, Mokgalapa told News24.

Masango was not immediately available for comment.

Civil group AfriForum has also filed papers in the High Court to have Nkoana-Mashabane's decision set aside.

Ramaphosa defers Mugabe decision to the courts

Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa meanwhile refused to be drawn further on the subject of Mugabe's exit from South Africa during a question session in Parliament on Wednesday.

Ramaphosa deferred the matter to the courts, and did not want to take a stance publicly.

"On this matter, the minister has taken a decision," Ramaphosa said. "What we should do is allow the courts of our country... to be the arbiters.

"This is a difficult one and we would like the courts to rule on this. I would like the courts to rule decisively on this matter so we can know how to act in the future."

He repeated many times that the ANC government believed in the human rights of its citizens, to the groans of many in the opposition benches.

Inkatha Freedom Party MP Mkuleko Hlengwa asked why the courts always had to tell the African National Congress government what to do.

Mugabe was accused of assaulting 20-year-old South African Gabriella Engels with an extension cord in the Johannesburg hotel where her two sons were staying on August 13.

She returned to Zimbabwe on August 20 following Nkoana-Mashabane's decision.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/minister-rejected-invitation-to-explain-grace-mugabe-decision-20170906

Cius

Executive Member
I really hope the voting public at the lowest levels took note of this. That a foreign presidents wife can come and beat a SA citizen the way she did and get off scott free must surely show them how little their party cares about its voters.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
I really hope the voting public at the lowest levels took note of this. That a foreign presidents wife can come and beat a SA citizen the way she did and get off scott free must surely show them how little their party cares about its voters.
Sadly a T-Shirt and a Streetwise 2 and all will be forgotten/forgiven.

schumi

Honorary Master
Mugabe immunity: Ministers pass the buck to absent Dirco minister

Cape Town - At least three ministers did their best to distance themselves in Parliament from the decision to grant Zimbabwean First Lady Grace Mugabe diplomatic immunity.

Peace and security cluster ministers faced questions in the National Assembly on Thursday, but none seemed too keen to be associated with the decision to grant Mugabe immunity following allegations of assault.

Rather, they referred the bulk of the questions to International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, who was noticeably absent on the day, despite a resolution at this week's chief whips' forum that she would avail herself.

First up was Home Affairs Minister Hlengiwe Mkhize.

"I think we have to separate the two departments. There is Dirco, and home affairs. I can only talk to our commitments," said Mkhize.

EFF MP Sam Matiase asked her if she was asked to intervene at the country's ports of entry, but she replied it was difficult to intervene when you don't have the facts.

"Whatever I learnt was from the media. I did not have any information on the circumstances. As a result, you don't ask what interventions were put in place."

"Why haven't you got the facts?" shouted opposition MPs.

'My role was irrelevant'

Next up was Justice and Correctional Services Minister Michael Masutha.

Masutha was asked if the chief state law adviser, who reports to Masutha, advised Nkoana-Mashabane on the decision.

"The department of Dirco (sic) also has its own state law adviser who gives advice on international relations. To the best of my knowledge, the chief state law adviser in my department was not approached."

EFF MP Thembinkosi Rawula asked if there had been any communication between his department and Police Minister Fikile Mbalula over the possibility of arresting Mugabe before she left.

Also read: 'Whip your children,' Zim youth leader urges Grace Mugabe

Masutha dismissed the question as irrelevant.

"What was relevant, was at the point when such immunity was granted, that became the basis on which the matter was dealt with.

"Neither the minister of justice nor the police's roles continued to be relevant."

In any case, there was no criminal docket placed before the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), for which he is responsible, he said.

"In the Diplomatic Immunities [and Privileges] Act, there is no provision for a role for the minister of justice, and at the time where immunity was granted, the matter was not before the NPA."

Grace Mugabe 'did not run away'

Last up was an animated Mbalula who was asked by DA MP Zakhele Mbhele whether there had been a breakdown in communication between himself and officials within his department.

"The police informed me correctly, and necessary steps were taken, and it (Mugabe's arrest) did not happen because from what they (Mugabe's team) agreed to do they changed and then they applied for indemnity. That is history now," Mbalula said.

"From the point of the police, there was no miscommunication."

DA MP Dianne Kohler Barnard said Mbalula had emphatically declared a "red alert" before Mugabe had left the country, and wanted to know who had lied to him.

"Grace Mugabe never left South Africa or ran away. That was a figment of your imagination. She didn't, and I clarified that point.

"The fact that the first lady changed and asked for indemnity was dealt with by Dirco, not the police. We do not deal with indemnity, we deal with arrests..."

At this point DA MPs erupted, asking why he hadn't arrested her then.

"There was no lie in what I said, and that is the truth," he finished.

Mbalula ultimately conceded that Mugabe's decision was a special case, but the South African police would have been ready to execute their mandate had the situation been different.

Minister's absence a 'joke, unacceptable'

DA and IFP chief whips John Steenhuisen and Narend Singh both raised points of order during the sitting around Nkoana-Mashabane's absence.

"It makes a joke of this House's responsibility to hold the executive accountable," Steenhuisen said.

We were assured yesterday in the chief whips' forum that the leader of government business wrote to the minister," said Singh.

"What made the matter worse, is not a single representative of hers is here. It's totally unacceptable."

Her two deputies were not there either, with State Security Minister David Mahlobo filling in for Nkoana-Mashabane for other unrelated questions.

Steenhuisen said Speaker Baleka Mbete, chief whips and the leader of government business Cyril Ramaphosa must hold a meeting where Nkoana-Mashabane is called in.

Nkoana-Mashabane has rejected the invitation to appear before Parliament's portfolio committee on international relations to account for the decision on Mugabe.

In a letter revealed to the committee on Wednesday, she said the decision is currently before the courts, and therefore sub judice.

The DA and civil body AfriForum have both challenged her decision in the North Gauteng High Court.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ministers-pass-the-buck-on-mugabe-immunity-to-absent-dirco-minister-20170907

schumi

Honorary Master
Mugabe sons slapped with R780 000 bill for Sandton brawl

Harare - Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe’s playboy sons, Robert Junior and Bellarmine Chatunga, have been slapped with a R780 000 ($60 000) bill after leaving a trail of destruction at the Sandton penthouse they were evicted from following a dramatic and violent brawl in July.

They were recently evicted from a luxurious apartment in South Africa’s most affluent area of Sandton in Johannesburg after the fracas that left one security officer with a broken leg and arm.

Mugabe’s sons, whose wild partying and spendthrift lifestyle have landed them in trouble, were booted out of The Regent MCC luxury apartments located at Number 21 West Road South, Morningside in Sandton, Johannesburg, where they destroyed property and stained expensive carpets.

Impeccable sources revealed that the The Regent MCC manager has written to President Mugabe’s family informing them that R780 000 is needed to repair the luxury apartment.

Mugabe’s sons, who reportedly get more than $40 000 in pocket money monthly, are now staying in Coronation although First Lady Grace Mugabe has another house on Killarney Road in Sandhurst. Ordinary Zimbabweans are now asking where President Mugabe, who runs no known profitable business, gets the money to pamper his sons.

Reports in our sister paper The Star and separate checks by the Zimbabwe Independent — which has been investigating Grace’s property story and her sons’ escapades in Johannesburg — show that she has been renting a huge property owned by Angolan immigrants for R200 000 (more than US$15 000) a month. Investigations and reports show the rented six-bedroomed property is Number 27a Coronation Road, Sandhurst, Sandton’s most affluent suburb.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/special-features/zimbabwe/mugabe-sons-slapped-with-r780-000-bill-for-sandton-brawl-11132992

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
In first world countries they would not be allowed visas or entry after the shyte they cause - the sons that is.

Seriously

Honorary Master
"The department of Dirco (sic) also has its own state law adviser who gives advice on international relations. To the best of my knowledge, the chief state law adviser in my department was not approached.
Jeez..does all these lazy fruckers have consultants and advisers to do their work because they are so incapable or dumb to do it themselves?