Grade 11 Pretoria pupil dies in plane crash a few days after her first solo flight

schumi

Honorary Master
A Grade 11 pupil at Hoërskool Montana in Pretoria, Gauteng, died when the light aircraft she was flying in crashed after take-off at Wonderboom Airport on Tuesday.

Anika de Beer dreamt of completing her pilot's licence and had completed her first solo flight a few days before the fatal crash.

The school wrote in a tribute on its Facebook page: "Our deepest condolences to Anika's parents, family, friends and all who loved her.
More at : https://www.news24.com/news24/south...few-days-after-her-first-solo-flight-20200701

R13...

Honorary Master
Was she flying the aircraft or just flying in it. Says it's a training flight but not clear she was piloting the thing. Not that it matters for her and family I guess. RIP.

eg2505

Honorary Master
sad RIP, must be hell for her instructor,
ultimate shame having a student die in an airplane crash after completing their first solo.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Was she flying the aircraft or just flying in it. Says it's a training flight but not clear she was piloting the thing. Not that it matters for her and family I guess. RIP.
I think she may have been flying the aircraft since no other injury/fatality was reported.

RIP
Condolences

FNfal

Executive Member
Pilot training once you solo, you have to do two hours in the circuit ( take of and landings ) to get used to dealing with ATC and take offs and landing by your self .
" The aircraft had taken-off from Wonderboom Airport and was intending to land back at the same airport"

eg2505

Honorary Master
Pilot training once you solo, you have to do two hours in the circuit ( take of and landings ) to get used to dealing with ATC and take offs and landing by your self .
" The aircraft had taken-off from Wonderboom Airport and was intending to land back at the same airport"
very sad and such a shame having that happen after a solo that is successful.
do we know if it was something like engine failure? pilot error, or even something criminal even?

or not at this stage do we fully know all the details?

wbot

Expert Member
RIP. It happened near me :( I'm near Montana high school and Wonderboom airport. Been a few fatal plane crashes and even a couple of fatal skydives in the last few years.

Some planes also fly super low and just a few metres over my house

RedViking

Nord of the South
They should start an investigation to check if she received proper training.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
She looks like she could be related to Jannie De Beer. Should have stayed on the ground and played flyhalf... sad news when one so young dies.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
:crying: Reminds me of the other lady that was killed in Midrand . R.I.P:crying:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
:crying: Reminds me of the other lady that was killed in Midrand . R.I.P:crying:
Weird. People are killed in SA everyday. This story didn't remind of any of them.

But then I think this thread should be in O/T. One death doesn't warrant a thread in N&CA.