slimshadyjr69

Hey guys,How true is it that:
1.If you get (80 )% in grade 12 final examination,cass is not considered if it lowers your marks.
2.You need minimum of 3 distinctions to make it into provincial top 100(I thought they consider total average).
3.You need a 100% in Maths and Physics/Accounting to make it into national top 100.
Highly confused your help will be highly appreciated...Thanks in advance.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Hey guys,How true is it that:
1.If you get (80 )% in grade 12 final examination,cass is not considered if it lowers your marks.
2.You need minimum of 3 distinctions to make it into provincial top 100(I thought they consider total average).
3.You need a 100% in Maths and Physics/Accounting to make it into national top 100.
Highly confused your help will be highly appreciated...Thanks in advance.
Holy balls. If the standards have dropped to the point where you don't need at LEAST 3 distinctions to get your average up enough to be in the province's top 100, I weep for our education system.

elL0L

Expert Member
The Top 100 of the Free-State worked like this in my year:

It was interspersed with one "merit candidate" and one "previously disadvantaged candidate". Candidates on merit had a aggregate of 90-95%, while the previously disadvantaged candidates had anything from one to five distinctions. Position 50-60 was reserved for special school candidates. There was also awards for Top 10 in maths, physics and accounting.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Maybe maths has changed since I was at school... in the old pre-1994 maths, there was no way of telling whether you'd made Top 100 by looking only at your own marks; you had to know the actual marks of the top 100. :confused:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Maybe maths has changed since I was at school... in the old pre-1994 maths, there was no way of telling whether you'd made Top 100 by looking only at your own marks; you had to know the actual marks of the top 100. :confused:
I agree, what is the story about so many distinctions etc? If the sum of your marks put you in the top 100 you were in, can't see how it works otherwise.

froot

Honorary Master
A friend of mine was one of the top performers when we were in school.... 100% for Maths, 100% for Accounting. Physics I'm not sure.... point is, you need marks like that to get you above other people with similar marks.

slimshadyjr69

The Top 100 of the Free-State worked like this in my year:

It was interspersed with one "merit candidate" and one "previously disadvantaged candidate". Candidates on merit had a aggregate of 90-95%, while the previously disadvantaged candidates had anything from one to five distinctions. Position 50-60 was reserved for special school candidates. There was also awards for Top 10 in maths, physics and accounting.
did they also consider L.O dinstiction?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Just make sure you smoke Maths & English. Everything else you can get away with a mediocre mark.

hehe. Indeed - this concept seems to be widespread though - we had a thread like this a year ago too. Judging by what elL0L is saying I'd say the dept of education seems to have redefined the mean of "Top" though.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Don't worry so much about your position, it doesn't mean anything but bragging rights. Uni is a completely different ball game

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Don't worry so much about your position, it doesn't mean anything but bragging rights. Uni is a completely different ball game
True story - specifically its more of a marathon.

In Matric raw intelligence will still save your ass even if you don't study. Varsity...nope.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
True story - specifically its more of a marathon.

In Matric raw intelligence will still save your ass even if you don't study. Varsity...nope.
Depends which degree you do.

For most of my friends in the Humanities faculty, it was easier than school, especially if they were naturally good at writing. Very, very easy to pass Humanities subjects...not so easy to get above 75 in them.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
ah If I answer that truthfully then this thread will never recover. So...a minor change of topic:

slimshadyjr69: A little bit of hard work in the next 3 months can alter the course of your life....get off the internet and study. :D