Grade 9 Maths... Kid is failing terribly

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
And you seem to either fail to comprehend what you read or you didn't read my post thoroughly... We took action after the 1st term last year, when it became evident that she had a problem... First sent her for extra classes, then it was extra classes and extra work at home, then we added past exam papers into the mix... Maybe you should first read the original post a couple of times until you fully understand what is being said before judging the attitude of someone else.
You never indicated when you started that so it appeared as though it was now with the current issue so that was my bad assumption, sorry.

Anti-Chris

i have the same problem with my two boys :crying:
My son is just a year younger than his sister, went to the same schools and he is really killing it with maths. He gets 95% for normal maths and 88% for Alpha Maths (additional subject). Honestly dont know where it went wrong for her.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Could she have issues with the teacher?

I've known kids lose interest in a subject because of a teacher.

Anti-Chris

Could she have issues with the teacher?

I've known kids lose interest in a subject because of a teacher.
Also thought it might be the case last year. But she has a different teacher this year. And the teacher she gets the extra classes at is also a different one.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wait grade 9? That's standard 7 right? I knew plenty of kids in school who didn't pass it in standard 7, they just didn't take it for the rest of school or were put on maths literacy type things. If they aren't doing science, computer science, biology or any other classes that require math why is it a requirement to pass?

Dslartibarfast

My son is just a year younger than his sister, went to the same schools and he is really killing it with maths. He gets 95% for normal maths and 88% for Alpha Maths (additional subject). Honestly dont know where it went wrong for her.
Some people get things others don't. I work in a fields where I use a lot of maths and I suck at geometry.

Have you tried isolating the aspects of maths? To find out what she is good at, ok at and bad at? Or is it just all maths in general? It may be worth seeing if you can get her to excel at the good and ok parts to cover the bad parts.

viper13

Hi.

I don't wish to offend and to be critical but extra work and extra classes and old exam papers will not address the problem if she is missing some fundamental knowledge or misunderstanding some of the important concepts. I have kids that hate maths and that struggle with some of the most basic functions but what I found works is to make time each day to sit with them and to work on their weak points together and to go through their homework and do it together. I let them take the lead but if I see they are missing something then I try and prod them in the right direction so they still feel like they have a safety net but are actually doing 90% of the work themselves. Some days I don't have to do anything other than to say "Yep, that is spot on" and on those days I let them know after that they did it all on their own so they can build up their self-confidence. I found that in the case of my kids the biggest issue is the attention to detail and the self-confidence.

In the case of your daughter I would go back a couple of grades and do some random exercises to see if she has some gaps in her knowledge and to try and pin point where the problem is. It may not even be a knowledge problem and could be that she just concentrate on the problem in front of her and makes silly mistakes (this was my biggest problem as a child) or that she is actually distracted (no phones, tv or radio during maths time).

Doing the extra classes and extra work will be like adding more petrol to fire as it won't teach her anything that is missing but it will add to her frustration and dislike of the subject.

My advice is to make the time and sit with her. Do her homework with her and you will quickly see where she lacks strength. But don't do the homework for her, afterall you need to see how she is approaching the subject and what she may be doing wrong and you will never see that if you do the work.

But most of all be PATIENT. If you feel yourself becoming frustrated or getting angry then take a break. No tv, radio or cell phones till after the maths is done but a nice coffee or tea and a random chat will be just the thing.

I hope things get better and it is actually a simple "fix".

Good luck.

Anti-Chris

Hi.

I don't wish to offend and to be critical but extra work and extra classes and old exam papers will not address the problem if she is missing some fundamental knowledge or misunderstanding some of the important concepts. I have kids that hate maths and that struggle with some of the most basic functions but what I found works is to make time each day to sit with them and to work on their weak points together and to go through their homework and do it together. I let them take the lead but if I see they are missing something then I try and prod them in the right direction so they still feel like they have a safety net but are actually doing 90% of the work themselves. Some days I don't have to do anything other than to say "Yep, that is spot on" and on those days I let them know after that they did it all on their own so they can build up their self-confidence. I found that in the case of my kids the biggest issue is the attention to detail and the self-confidence.

In the case of your daughter I would go back a couple of grades and do some random exercises to see if she has some gaps in her knowledge and to try and pin point where the problem is. It may not even be a knowledge problem and could be that she just concentrate on the problem in front of her and makes silly mistakes (this was my biggest problem as a child) or that she is actually distracted (no phones, tv or radio during maths time).

Doing the extra classes and extra work will be like adding more petrol to fire as it won't teach her anything that is missing but it will add to her frustration and dislike of the subject.

My advice is to make the time and sit with her. Do her homework with her and you will quickly see where she lacks strength. But don't do the homework for her, afterall you need to see how she is approaching the subject and what she may be doing wrong and you will never see that if you do the work.

But most of all be PATIENT. If you feel yourself becoming frustrated or getting angry then take a break. No tv, radio or cell phones till after the maths is done but a nice coffee or tea and a random chat will be just the thing.

I hope things get better and it is actually a simple "fix".

Good luck.
Thank you, we are seeing her teacher again tonight, will try and isolate her biggest challenges and focus on that on a daily basis. I think you are spot on. I get frustrated very easily and that is maybe causing more harm than good. I will try and be a little more calm and work with her... The wife is actually the one with the patience, but she does not understand maths at all.

Nemus

Has he tried helping her? Taking his marks into account, it might do them both a favour by letting him upskill slightly to get her back to speed. Perhaps it's at his level that she missed the concepts, and he should easily be able to explain that to her.

viper13

Thank you, we are seeing her teacher again tonight, will try and isolate her biggest challenges and focus on that on a daily basis. I think you are spot on. I get frustrated very easily and that is maybe causing more harm than good. I will try and be a little more calm and work with her... The wife is actually the one with the patience, but she does not understand maths at all.
Preaching to the choir. I used to get so angry with my one daughter and she would then put up a wall. We spent countless nights arguing and end up not speaking to each other and her maths was suffering. Eventually I had to do some changing to be more patient and to bite my tongue. Whenever I found myself getting agitated then I would ask her if I could take a quick break for 5 minutes and then go scream into a pillow. I also had to work on how I was speaking to her because I became very "rude" and abrupt as she put it and that would also turn her off from the maths.

I won't lie, it wasn't easy but definitely worth it.

Anti-Chris

Has he tried helping her? Taking his marks into account, it might do them both a favour by letting him upskill slightly to get her back to speed. Perhaps it's at his level that she missed the concepts, and he should easily be able to explain that to her.
Have not tried this yet due to her being very "bossy" over her brother, but I am willing to try everything to get her through this year. He must maybe spend an hour a day with her while I am at work and then I will spend another hour when I get home from work...

Anti-Chris

Preaching to the choir. I used to get so angry with my one daughter and she would then put up a wall. We spent countless nights arguing and end up not speaking to each other and her maths was suffering. Eventually I had to do some changing to be more patient and to bite my tongue. Whenever I found myself getting agitated then I would ask her if I could take a quick break for 5 minutes and then go scream into a pillow. I also had to work on how I was speaking to her because I became very "rude" and abrupt as she put it and that would also turn her off from the maths.

I won't lie, it wasn't easy but definitely worth it.
Sounds like me. But I will try and focus on the end goal and to be patient.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Good Morning all

I need some urgent suggestions...
My daughter is in Grade 9 and she is failing maths and thus her grade....
All her other subjects is above 60 but Maths has been hovering around the low 30s for the last two years now.
Problem is that she will need to pass Maths in order to pass her grade at the end of the year, since grade 9 is seen as an exit phase they wont "adjust" her marks to get her to pass this year (as they did last year).
We have tried extra work, extra classes, old exam papers etc. but it is not lifting her grades enough so that she can pass this year.
Any ideas?
I really have a problem with how maths is taught at school. For a lot of children the approach is not going to work. I think your daughter might fall in this category. I see someone has already said look at Khan Academy, and this is probably your best bet.

You will just have to look at what she need to watch to match our syllabus. The subject matter per grade is sort of the same.