Grahams Hierarchy of Disagreement and Internet Arguments

eXisor

Expert Member
My wife recently brought this to my attention. Years of experience suggested I not persue why. But she wouldn't say.

1551088695827.png

Here's a thread explaining each level in more detail. https://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/how-to-disagree-well-7-of-the-best-and-worst-ways-to-argue

Some 'ass hat's' on this forum would perhaps do well to note the position of their argument on this chart before they post, and some threads could do worse than refer to it as a guide for the discussion.
The chart is from 2014, but as with all the best internet views, still deserves to be partially read, misinterpreted and contextually abused, today, as much as before. To that end, I did a perfunctory search of mybb, barely glanced at the results, and decided to share because, whatever.

In case this prompts a needless discussion, I feel it necessary to point out that you're on mybb. The majority of posters should feel under no obligation to change, after all, majority.

I'd have flattened the pyramid a lot more, but I guess Grahams' not been to mybb.

Last edited:

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I'd say most debates here quickly reach 'counterargument', then they degenerate to levels 1 and 2, at which point the thread is cleaned and someone receives an infraction.

eXisor

Expert Member
I'd say most debates here quickly reach 'counterargument', then they degenerate to levels 1 and 2, at which point the thread is cleaned and someone receives an infraction.
With our particular history any matter even vaguely concerning race plummets down the list and and settles, as you say, in the bottom two.
Increasingly, moderate left and right wing views are fitting the same pattern. Extreme views one would expect to settle rapidly on the bottom, but I'm constantly surprised that people who are in reality not that far apart, find vast chasms of nuance to divide them.
Not that I'm immune to this myself. Sometimes there is no hair so fine it cannot be split.