Grahamstown’s dirty water woes

schumi

Honorary Master
Some residents of Grahamstown and other parts of Makana Municipality have been without access to clean water for months.

This follows the discovery by independent laboratories in mid-May that levels of E.coli in Makana’s drinking water supply were unsafe. This sparked outrage among local residents and civil society organisations who accuse the municipality of inefficiency and mismanagement.

The problem was first raised publicly by the Social Development and Infrastructure Development and Technical Services portfolio committees who‚ on 16 and 17 May‚ highlighted that high levels of E.coli — a bacterium indicating contamination by faeces or sewage‚ which can cause a number of illnesses — was found in the water supply.

This raised questions over Makana’s management of water-supply infrastructure and sanitation. Only after these concerns were raised at the committees did officials explain that they had not been testing the water‚ and did not have the necessary chemicals to treat the water because of financial constraints. They assured the public that the chemicals were on the way.

According to Flow‚ a Rhodes University student research initiative‚ there are two water treatment works in Makana: the James Kleynhans Water Treatment plant‚ which supplies the poorer eastern side of Grahamstown with water‚ and Waainek Water Treatment works‚ which provides water to the wealthier university orientated side.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-06-21-grahamstowns-dirty-water-woes/

schumi

Honorary Master

Makhanda has only enough water for about two months‚ deputy minister told

Makhanda west‚ which is home to Rhodes University‚ several prestigious schools‚ the city’s prison‚ industrial area‚ army base‚ suburbia and CBD will run out of water in about two months‚ Deputy Minister of Water and Sanitation Pam Tshwete was told on Tuesday.

And a member of Tshwete’s own staff‚ DWS water regulation director in the Eastern Cape‚ Andrew Lucas‚ warned Makhanda (Grahamstown) residents to continue hard-boiling their drinking water as the city still faced water quality challenges.

Tshwete is meeting Makhanda stakeholders and community members in an effort to understand the water crisis the city faces. Stakeholders did not hold back and it became clear that there were both quantity and quality issues that were a source of major concern.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...er-for-about-two-months-deputy-minister-told/

PhireSide

Executive Member
I don't think anyone I knew whilst I stayed there drank tap water anyway. We either bought from Oasis or Pick n Pay or took our own containers up to the spring on the R67 towards Port Alfred.

I hope they manage to make a plan soon. The prospect of the taps running dry is not a pleasant one

Arthur

Honorary Master
Thought Grahamstown was renamed.
Still in the public comment phase. So new name is not yet official.

Got this IM a week or so ago:

Grahamstown is still Grahamstown.
It is being reported that Grahamstown's name has already changed. It is not true. By law the Minister of Arts and Culture must consider all objections to the name change submitted within 30 days of the gazetting of the notice and only then can he make a final decision. Email objections to the Personal Secretary, Minister Arts and Culture, Mr Nathi Mthethwa at leonahs@dac.gov.za. Refer to Government Notice No. 641 in Government Gazette No. 41738 of 29 June 2018. It s very importnant to request an acknowlegement of receipt and please copy your objection to Keep Grahamstown Grahamstown at macfam@imaginet.co.za.

All you need to email is:
I hereby object to the name change of Grahamstown to Makhanda for he reasons as submitted in the objection/s of Keep Grahamstown Grahamstown. (KGG)

There needs to be 6 000 objections for the decision to be considered worth overturning. Do not sit back and think someone else will do it - every single letter of objection counts. Our city cannot afford the costs of a name change, the costs alone for our defunct municipality to change all boards, marketing, websites, stationery, branding - and that is before each and every business has to spend of the same changes - for no reason whatsoever. This is not even taking into account how tourism will be effected.

Last edited:

Sean008

Expert Member
I don't think anyone I knew whilst I stayed there drank tap water anyway. We either bought from Oasis or Pick n Pay or took our own containers up to the spring on the R67 towards Port Alfred.

I hope they manage to make a plan soon. The prospect of the taps running dry is not a pleasant one
Fark that, unless you’re collecting water at the very source, there’s no way in hell im drinking water from any spring. Most especially considering the nations favored past time, pissing and crapping just about everywhere

PhireSide

Executive Member

schumi

Honorary Master
No water, no electricity ... but lots of garbage in 'cursed Makhanda'

Water outages, power blackouts, litter-strewn streets and sewage trickling into people’s homes has become a norm for residents of Makhanda (Grahamstown), prompting some to ask if they are cursed.

But their dry sense of humour is intact. On Monday, Nomawethu Budaza commented on social media, "There's no chill in Makhanda - water gone, electricity gone," to which Leonie Yendall responded, "Just the garbage is left...".

A municipal town hall meeting with residents has been called for Monday evening as the city stares at a water "Day Zero", precipitated by a drought compounded by years of shoddy local government management.

The city of 70,000 residents has faced prolonged water outages and dirty water coming out of the taps due to poor management of its ageing infrastructure, but now the water supply to the western half of the city, including Rhodes University, is drying up due to the drought.

According to the local Grocotts Mail newspaper, large parts of the city have had dry taps for a week. Residents queued for hours on Sunday as trucks organised by a municipality-led crisis committee struggled to service thousands of households. Civic group Makana Revive, which spent the past week picking up refuse across the city during a strike, have turned their attention to boosting water deliveries to desperate families, said the newspaper.
More at : https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...city--but-lots-of-garbage-in-cursed-makhanda/

Gordon_R

Executive Member
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/rhodes-not-closing-over-makhanda-water-crisis-20190211

Rhodes University is not about to run out of water, a spokesperson said in response to claims that the academic institution would have to close because of the water crisis in Makhanda.

"Contrary to a recent media report, Rhodes University is not about to shut down," the university stated.

Communications manager Veliswa Mhlope said the statement from Rhodes University Vice-Chancellor Dr Sizwe Mabizela, which stated "Rhodes University will have to close its doors", would only apply in the instance where there are no reasonable water sources.
Earlier on Monday, the Department of Water and Sanitation said a number of issues had resulted in the city's current water woes.

It, however, said it was not the national department's responsibility to deliver emergency water supplies to parched towns such as Makhanda.

"It is our responsibility to say to a municipality that you cannot allow that thing to happen," said spokesperson Sputnik Ratau.
Very helpful national department...

borro

Water outages, power blackouts, litter-strewn streets and sewage trickling into people’s homes
prompting some to ask if they are cursed.

Yeah I agree, it's witchcraft/ what else can it be?

RedViking

Honorary Master
In-laws stay an hour from Grahamstown next to river. Situation doesn't look good. River and boreholes are dry.

access

Executive Member
Water outages, power blackouts, litter-strewn streets and sewage trickling into people’s homes
prompting some to ask if they are cursed.

Yeah I agree, it's witchcraft/ what else can it be?
must be the ghosts of the ngqika people! :eek: