Grand Central Motors Jeep Fiat Midrand unhappy sales experience

Rain-Hard

17 April: Looked at the Fiat Fullback Double Cab that they showed outside. Sales guy states R480 000, discounted due to last of that models. I saw it as a good price, automatic, 4x4, leather seats, double cab, all the bells and whistles. Asked for the quote

20 April: Received quote for the Fiat Fullback. R495 430. Obviously some extras on it, smash and grab etc.

22 April. Test drive, asked what the service and warranty entail as I saw on a add a while ago its service 5 years, Warranty 3 years. (100 000km). He said he will find out as, although its his product he is selling, he does not know.

Later that day he mailed me to confirm yes it comes standard with the above mentioned plans. I replied and said lets proceed as my Finance has been approved as well.

Dead quite till the 28th. Sales guy mailed me and said sorry for the delay, issue at head office, they invoiced the car without the service and maintenance plans, he will get it sorted.

Dead quiet till 3rd of May. Sales guy mails Absa with me CC’d in to tell them although it was MY expectation that the service and maintenance plans were included, it turns out its not and I must finance another 24k to get it on. The story was that’s the reason for the discount to R480k on that model.

Threw my toys as he confirmed the deal with me incl the plans that sealed the deal. Dealer principle cannot do anything, makes it my problem that she cannot sell at a loss. ( I was forced to call the dealer principle as this sales guy's manager didnt even attempt to contact me even after the emails were sent to him.)

End of the day, I am not paying 700k for e.g. a Ford or Toyota so going forward the deal as I need the bakkie pretty urgently. Although I felt done in by 24k.

I just had to put it out there.

XPD

Erm…wait..what. They misled you but you still handed over 500k to them. Surely there are other options in this price range as well. Even demo. I would have given them the middle finger and spent my money elsewhere.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
So dumb of them.

Instead of taking a "loss" they loose the customer.

Take your money to Haval & check out the P-series aka Poer aka Ma Se Poer?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
There's always the GWM P series if one isn't interested in used cars. R435k for 2.0TD DLX 4x4, with all the bells and whistle the Fullback can only dream of and a safety spec that's unheard of in bakkies at that price range, if such experiences are not enough to force people to take a stand then I don't know what will.

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Mistakes do happen, it's understandable that something like this could happen but if both parties goes ahead and sign the deal then OP shouldn't be harboring ill feelings for the dealer, because they did not scam him.

marbro

I would have walked,

Mahindra's new out of the box with similar warranties and so on for less than that price.
Haval too

The days of paying 700+ for a bakkie are over

TheChamp

Honorary Master
And I think we all know, although the dealer said that, there's no way they would've been at a loss
True, they retail at R529k new, now R495k wasn't bad and no one one in the dealership would have gone to bed hungry, R495k plus the R24k is almost the price of the car, they must be feeling pretty chuffed right now, not like there are people banging on the dealer door for a Fiat.

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I would have walked,

Mahindra's new out of the box with similar warranties and so on for less than that price.
Haval too

The days of paying 700+ for a bakkie are over
Now, let's be honest, Mahindra shouldn't be uttered in the same breath as any of the other bakkies, it's a tool of purpose and it fulfills that purpose honestly with no issues, but that's all there is to it.

Talking about Mahindra, they should really consider building a proper bakkie to compete with the others, they have earned the trust in that segment of the market.

Rain-Hard

All comments well noted. So the deal is not through yet, I have not signed off finally as I just want to see what the effect is on my monthly payments. Point of this post.. well to (like with all other posts on here) to get some views, that I may take or not! And to caution for what its worth if a similar deal is proposed. :) Oh and to rant a bit.. feels good sometimes to put it out there.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Definitely feels good to rant.

In my opinion, tell them to take a hike and find an alternative vehicle from a dealership that isn't scummy. If this is how they're treating you on the sales process, imagine when you have to take it back for a fault? Nope. Skip.

airborne

Honorary Master
All comments well noted. So the deal is not through yet, I have not signed off finally as I just want to see what the effect is on my monthly payments. Point of this post.. well to (like with all other posts on here) to get some views, that I may take or not! And to caution for what its worth if a similar deal is proposed. :) Oh and to rant a bit.. feels good sometimes to put it out there.
I've heard some nightmare stories with the Fullback, it may have a good engine that it shares with Mitsubishi but you will need to deal with Fiat. Fiat spares availability is often spotty, I heard of a guy waiting weeks for a pretty basic warranty repair due to no spares being available. The service centres aren't great and they have a very small dealer network.

And the resale value on that bakkie tanks, better to find a low mileage 2hnd one that's already taken the new car hit and the Fiat resale tax..

I'd only buy a Fiat bakkie if the price was ridiculously good, which in this instance is not the case.