Great smartphones you can get for under R2,000

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Smartphone technology has come a long way, but this technological growth has come a steep increase in cost.

Flagship models of smartphones from the likes of Samsung and Apple now exceed the R30,000 mark – a figure that many are unwilling to pay.

Nick333

Honorary Master
If I was looking these I would automatically skip the 1gb ram phones.
Well they run Android Go which is supposedly pretty snappy on low RAM phones. That plus lite versions of the usual apps should make them usable at least. The Nokias run close to stock Android, and the battery life is a selling point, but I reckon the Huawei is the obvious winner overall at that price.

My choice would be the Huawei for overall value, followed by the Nokia for build quality and battery.

uchoose

Huawei good but with all the problems with the USA ban, it's going to have to be a good price for me to buy one.

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
The Xiaomi Redmi 6A at R1799 as a 16GB phone with LTE.

I dont think its worth spending less than ~R2700 on a phone is good in the long term. 16GB phones will soon be like the 8GB phones, apps get bigger and you constantly run out of space. I think the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 32GB is a solid choice. Stock android and a decent 4000mah battery.

I think the best value for money phone right now is the Xiaomi Redmi 7 Note 128GB for R4413 on Takealot. Just bought one for my mother, and she loves the screen and excellent camera. now she also has tons of storage for video

eg2505

Honorary Master
anything worth buying there? that is in the 1GB category?
otherwise are used 2GB phones a better buy?

adrianx

Expert Member
I've been doing this cellphone thing (contract) since the late 90s. "Upgrade time" was always exciting for me in spite of buyer's remorse and all that. Now, it's like bleh. I've been eligible for an upgrade for over a month now, and I still haven't done anything about it. It's become a grudge purchase, to be honest. Maybe it is because I'm getting old, I don't know.

Sl8er

Executive Member
The incoming (not sure if to RSA) Nokia 2.2 will probably be the phone to get for that price range (if it stays on 99 euros).

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/smar...kia-2-2-budget-smartphone-with-ai-camera.html

Display 5.71-inch 1,520 x 720 LCD
Chipset MediaTek Helio A22
RAM Up to 3GB
Storage Up to 32GB, microSD
Rear Camera 13MP
Front Camera 5MP
OS Android 9 Pie
Battery 3,000mAhPrice€99
+ 3 years of updates.

Other impressive features for a device in this price range include face unlock, a 13MP camera with AI-assisted low-light photography, and access to Google Lens.

Sounds pretty damn good.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Smartphone technology has come a long way, but this technological growth has come a steep increase in cost.

Flagship models of smartphones from the likes of Samsung and Apple now exceed the R30,000 mark – a figure that many are unwilling to pay.
Erm, no, it's gotten cheaper for the same phones, now we just have "flagships"/ripoffs at way higher prices as there seems to be a market for it, the near same tech is still in a lot of cheaper phones though that come in way below the R20k marker.

The incoming (not sure if to RSA) Nokia 2.2 will probably be the phone to get for that price range (if it stays on 99 euros).

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/smar...kia-2-2-budget-smartphone-with-ai-camera.html

Display 5.71-inch 1,520 x 720 LCD
Chipset MediaTek Helio A22
RAM Up to 3GB
Storage Up to 32GB, microSD
Rear Camera 13MP
Front Camera 5MP
OS Android 9 Pie
Battery 3,000mAh
Price €99
+ 3 years of updates.

Sounds pretty damn good.
Only problem for me is the MediaTek SoC, can't easily port the Google Camera, though at this price range that's being quite picky and there could be a port if popular.

ronz91

Expert Member

I dont think its worth spending less than ~R2700 on a phone is good in the long term. 16GB phones will soon be like the 8GB phones, apps get bigger and you constantly run out of space. I think the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 32GB is a solid choice. Stock android and a decent 4000mah battery.

I think the best value for money phone right now is the Xiaomi Redmi 7 Note 128GB for R4413 on Takealot. Just bought one for my mother, and she loves the screen and excellent camera. now she also has tons of storage for video

pretty much covered what I was gonna say.

I would throw in the Samsung Galaxy A20 off takealot. The Mi A2 Lite is also a great deal.

Bang for buck, that Redmi Note 7 is great.

MR.C

Expert Member
I've been doing this cellphone thing (contract) since the late 90s. "Upgrade time" was always exciting for me in spite of buyer's remorse and all that. Now, it's like bleh. I've been eligible for an upgrade for over a month now, and I still haven't done anything about it. It's become a grudge purchase, to be honest. Maybe it is because I'm getting old, I don't know.
If you got the patience, wait for Black Friday. If you don't get a good deal, threaten to move to another network, win-win.

Excalibur

Executive Member

Is there decent after-sales support for Xiaomi in SA though? I know someone who bought a Redmi but had issues with parts afterwards when phone was faulty.