Greece imposes €100 monthly fines on unvaccinated residents over 60

starmage

Tman543

Greece finding new ways to generate revenue. I dont blame them these old peeps are stubborn lot, use most of the hospital resources anyways.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
inb4, coming soon to south africa

Perhaps, but seeing how Greece have inserted it as a controlled mechanism within taxation, we would be discriminating against the tax base, all things being equal and all. You think the state will risk penalising a grant?

The news is real though,

Greece to fine over-60s for refusing jab​

Residents in Greece over the age of 60 will be fined €100 a month if they fail to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, under the first general COVID-19 mandate announced by the country’s government.

The measure was announced in response to a surge in cases and the emergence of the Omicron variant. It will come into effect on January 16 with the fines to be added to their tax bills, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said in a televised announcement on Tuesday.

Greece will mandate the COVID-19 vaccine for anyone over 60, or make them pay fines​

Facing a surge in coronavirus infections and stalled vaccination drives, two nations in the European Union are giving their citizens an ultimatum: take the COVID-19 vaccine or face the financial consequences.

Greece announced Tuesday that everyone 60 and older must be vaccinated by mid-January or face monthly fines of 100 euros (roughly $114).

Earlier this month, Austria said it would require its entire adult population to be vaccinated by Feb. 1. Those who refuse are set to pay up to 3,600 euros, or just over $4,000, in fines.

"It's not a punishment," Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis told his cabinet in a televised meeting. "I would say it is the price for health. It is also an act of justice for the vaccinated. It's not right that they are deprived of health care services because others stubbornly refuse to do the obvious."

Greece is the first EU country to target an age group with a vaccination mandate. Citing government data, Mitsotakis said about 83% of older Greeks are vaccinated. Those who are not — more than 500,000 people — are more likely to get seriously ill and die. Greece recorded more than 7,500 infections, hundreds of hospitalizations and 88 deaths on Tuesday alone, according to Greece's National Organization for Public Health.

The monthly fine for refusing the vaccine is substantial for retirees. The average pension is 730 euros a month.

The ANC would never tax their voter base in the same manner.

eg2505

Honorary Master
you say that, but they still haven't made vaccines mandatory,
when they do, do you think the ANC wont start thinking of ways of imposing fines/Taxes

Pegasus

Executive Member
Perhaps, but seeing how Greece have inserted it as a controlled mechanism within taxation, we would be discriminating against the tax base, all things being equal and all. You think the state will risk penalising a grant?

The news is real though,

You'd have to spend hours in the SASSA que to give the government money.

_Dog

... the cabal trying their best to instigate a violent revolution in Greece ..... they want chaos

Freemasons.png

Last edited:

mojoman

Expert Member
In a country thats in fiancial kak I would have thought this is a sketchy move?

Grant

Honorary Master
It's all very well to threaten to, or impose fines.
Are they actually being collected somehow.

Let's assume SAG followed the same course, our court system would simply be overwhelmed and buckle.

For discussion purposes, let's assume I had a friend who got fined.
They refuse to pay.
A summons to court has to be served.
He / she then pitches up at court and pleads not guilty.
The matter is remanded for 2 weeks.

2 weeks later, back at court again.
My friend call me as a witness for whatever stated reason - but primarily to screw the court around and waste its time.
My friend is cross-examined, then it's my turn.
I get on to the stand and the prosecutor starts with me.
I then decide to derail the process by stating I'm a qualified cardiac perfusionist with over 3000 hours experience in cardiac theatre. I'm specifically qualified and trained to manage both cardio-pulmonary bypass pumps, as well as ECMO circuits - items of medical equipment that are able to keep patients alive despite having suffered catastophic heart failure.
I go on to claim fines cannot be imposed where the basis upon which the fine system was introduced is mired by a lack of absolute certainty. This is however all a ruse on my part, but now the prosecutor has to request another remand in order to bring in an expert witness.
The case is now remanded again for 30 days.

By now - since summons, the prosecutor is sitting with another 50 dockets on his desk, in addition to the drugs, assault, and myriad of other matters to be prosecuted.
The same is happening across the country. Soon enough magistrates become exasperated with how the case management system is grinding to a halt, and simply start striking these matters off the roll.
Or, prosecutors may begin to refuse to prosecute, simply by remanding matters for 6 months at a time, instead of 2 weeks.

So while fines may be imposed left, right, and centre - collection or successful prosecution is another matter entirely..
In my opinion, for whatever it may be worth, the threat of fines is little more than sabre rattling - a dog with all bark and no bite.

surface

Honorary Master
Interesting. ANC government implementing fines on over-60's seems such a remote possibility to me considering their sterling performance in recent elections. Alternatively, if they do this, we are likely to have a non-ANC government in 2024 - so win-win ?

Greece is really being very bold here. First banning kosher & halaal nonsense and now this. Takes guts.

JohnStarr

Executive Member

The news is real though,

They'll tax the vaccinated tax base to cater for the unvaccinated. Problem solved.

Reactions: OCP

Priapus

Executive Member
Interesting. ANC government implementing fines on over-60's seems such a remote possibility to me considering their sterling performance in recent elections. Alternatively, if they do this, we are likely to have a non-ANC government in 2024 - so win-win ?

Greece is really being very bold here. First banning kosher & halaal nonsense and now this. Takes guts.

I think there is a small possibility of that already. Cyril just needs to put everyone into harsh lockdown again to seal the deal.

Cius

Executive Member
Seems stupid, if you want to be draconian vs people you think are stupid block access to hospitals unless the person has a vaccination card or a doctors note stating a valid reason not to be vaccinated. Only exception being if you are willing to pay the hospital bill in full out of your own pocket.