Green hydrogen could help save South Africa from carbon penalties

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Green hydrogen could be South Africa's energy saviour

South Africa’s ailing economy could get a new lease on life if it creates the policy and investment framework to build the infrastructure for large scale production of green hydrogen, a fuel seen as crucial in driving the world’s energy transition to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

Botha22

Too lazy to read - what is the impact of our predicted /current water shortages on hydrogen as a fuel? Or will we use recycled and desalinated water?

konfab

Honorary Master
Green hydrogen is produced using renewable electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysers, and offers three times more energy per unit than fossil fuels. Green hydrogen and its derivatives can power mining vehicles, trucks, buses, trains, aircraft and maritime transport, and can be used to produce green steel, green fertiliser and other green chemicals.

Derivatives like hydrocarbons work very well. :ROFL:

Biggest issue with hydrogen is the cost of storing it. It is simply too expensive.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
People refilling their hydrogen fuel cells at one of many hydrogen filling stations. Cars, airplanes and boats driving around with tanks of hydrogen on board.

What could go wrong?

CxJx2011

People refilling their hydrogen fuel cells at one of many hydrogen filling stations. Cars, airplanes and boats driving around with tanks of hydrogen on board.

What could go wrong?
how is it different from petrol/tanks? both flammable and go boom

Baxteen

Honorary Master
Have you ever seen hydrogen gas explode? It's not like a uncompressed petrol explosion at all.
compression ratio is a thing.

uncompressed H is massively dangerouns.

compressed as it is for transportation things get funky.

basically when the compressed gas is rapidly decompressed due to the decompression and natural thermal expansion there is no space for Oxegen to get into the mix and allow for Oxedization (burning) to happen.

there was some redneck who wanted to prove some Hydrogen based mazda(I think) released was a Hindenburg driving on the road so he shot a fully loaded fuel tank with a 50 cal tracer round. no boom sadly. was very disappointed. but weird YouTube rabbit hole was weird

Moosedrool

Executive Member
compression ratio is a thing.

uncompressed H is massively dangerouns.

compressed as it is for transportation things get funky.

basically when the compressed gas is rapidly decompressed due to the decompression and natural thermal expansion there is no space for Oxegen to get into the mix and allow for Oxedization (burning) to happen.

there was some redneck who wanted to prove some Hydrogen based mazda(I think) released was a Hindenburg driving on the road so he shot a fully loaded fuel tank with a 50 cal tracer round. no boom sadly. was very disappointed. but weird YouTube rabbit hole was weird

Sure. I saw the collision tests. and the moron with his gun but in the real world things do go wrong:

neoprema

Executive Member
Hydrogen, Solar, Hydro, Wind, Nuclear... the list of clean power to help ZA is endless.

But it cannot work so long as the decision makers are in it for their own pockets and not remotely for the betterment of the country.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
Sure. I saw the collision tests. and the moron with his gun but in the real world things do go wrong:

100% agree with you.

just be careful to not just play into the hand of those trying to keep to the old ways.

Hydrogen has other problems like how difficult and expensive it is to make and transport.
we dont need to discuss the safety of it as that is not the limiting factor

eg2505

Honorary Master
honestly we all know where this money is going

we do right???

I dont need to expaln it do I???

Another fat cat tenderprenur to add to his BMW collection, we barely have electricity for EV's, now you want hydrogen,
1st world solutions dont work for africa.

so I'll belive it when I see it...

deesef

Expert Member
It's strange that the article did not breath one word about raging fires or explosions...

K3NS31

Expert Member
"Green" Hydrogen. That's the sales pitch not the reality.
Electrolysis is expensive and inefficient. They use that as bait, then hit you with the hydrogen they produced from hydrocarbons (yes, FOSSIL FUELS).

Aside from that, the stuff's nearly impossible to store and use safely. Just ask Toyota. They've been trying for what, 10 years? 15?

(some other problems:
  1. Hydrogen burns with an invisible flame.
  2. Hydrogen has no smell, so you can't tell when it's leaking.
  3. It's very volatile and ignites easily. (Hindenburg?)
  4. It evaporates and thus leaks easily. Which is bad if you consider points 1 to 3.
  5. etc. etc - Google will tell you more.
)

TLDR: stop re-printing rubbish articles without doing your research, MyBB.