Greetings Possums!!

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Prices on fairly standard grocery items can fluctuate by up to 50% depending on supply and demand.
An easy way to show how bad it is, when friends from other countries come to visit they dont buy anything in SA anymore.
I used to be that they would come armed with dollars or pounds and buy clothing etc, now its cheaper to buy in their own countries.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
My wife came over to SA about 4 or 5 years ago and I think a souvenir mug up table mountain was like R99.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I just buy cheap 10 packs for R50 at PnP. No way I'd buy Gilette, Schick or whatever big brand. Even Bic is too expensive for me.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
I just buy the same brand as my beer......Also, I use number 2 comb on my clipper for my beard and head, just shave the edges once every few months.

R14 for 5

10130317EA-checkers515Wx515H.webp

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
That Lion packaging looks like something I would stick to my wall, so retro
I remember Lion matches but can't remember Lion blades but then the memories..,.

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
How's everyone?

I'm sitting here on my porch and going through Facebook and see a post about Gillette Fusion Blades going for R900.

Now and again, I check on the prices of items there and WOW, how are you guys managing?? I'm not even looking at the tech items but just the everyday essentials.

Have salaries or wages gone up with the prices of goods?

How much is petrol? Here I complain when our petrol goes above $2.29 which is allot.

Cheers for now!

It lives!

Hey Wayne - sincerely hope you're well sir. Thought about you a year or two back and wondered how live in the US is treating you. Can't recall why I was thinking of you though.

Cost of living has certainly changed here in SA. Some things had inflationary increases, but as mentioned above by someone else, demand seems to be playing a larger role now and luxury items seems to outstrip inflation - I assume that the suppliers know that the people with the means to pay will buy regardless of whether the increases are more than inflation.

Some examples. Biltong has gone from R169/kg to R229 - 269 /kg at the butchers in (what feels like) the last 2 or 3 years.

There doesn't seem to be cheap cuts of meat anymore or unwanted meat - mince and boerewors cost the same as beef stew at around R89 / kg.

Sugar, Oros, margarine, charcoal and automated washing powder / capsules (not to mention dishwashing capsules) also seem to have become expensive.

It's like the disparity between the poor, the middle class and the wealthy keeps widening, with the middle class shrinking.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Hey boetie, you guys and gals can contact me whenever, no problems.

Yeah man life is good and bad. Been here 7 yrs and allot has gone on. I'm an oupa now, through my middle daughter and her boyfriend and my youngest is married 3 yrs now too. Quit my job after 6 yrs and now at home which is now a 3 bedroom house for the last year which we bought. The way things went on here, politics wise, reminded me of home. I'm on Reddit, and have had a few arguments with people regarding USA and SA.

Regarding the cost of living, over here you can kinda rely on the prices of things but they do fluctuate but you can shop around and find cheaper items and what's so nice is that there are clearance racks for almost everything in the stores so you can get a good deal if you need something.

Yeah, life is good but has its ups and downs and the grass is not always greener on the other side and besides, the neighbours don't like me taking pictures of their yard.