GridCars electric vehicle charging station

Joseph matane

Hey Guys
I could like to ask few questions anyone who has knowledge regarding EVs can respond
Do government have regulations regarding how much can electric vehicle charging station charge client per Kwh? Because it seems GridCars and partners have increased prices recently based on their live map information, just few weeks ago mybroadband did article about driving i-Pace from Cape Town to Musina at that time GridCars charged R4.41 per Kwh and Jaguar charged R2.21 it was higher than Eskom tariff but it made sense they have to earn profits. Yesterday I visited GridCars live map and I found out prices have changed now GridCars charge R5.88 per Kwh which is crazy because Eskom have not implemented any price increase yet the only change is BMW South Africa now sell Mini Cooper SE and offer zero cent charge fee if you use BMW card to charge at GridCars chargers
This means GridCars can hike prices the more EVs enter the local market, in 2022 VW plan to sell ID4 locally and Nissan might follow with Ariya after 2022 this will increase availability of EVs in SA and is clear Nissan will partner with GridCars.
My worry is if GridCars increase prices like they just did by 2022 we will be charged R10 per Kwh while Eskom charge below R5 per Kwh and petrol price might still be below R20 per litre
Kwh vs 1L might be 50% or less cheaper, which really will discourage citizens to buy EVs GridCars must stop increasing prices randomly because Eskom only increase prices mostly once a year and is not dollar driven like petrol prices

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-101515~3.png
    Screenshot_20201007-101515~3.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I don't know if there is any regulation but I think there is more to it than the price of a kWh, the infrastructure also makes up part of the cost.

Joseph matane

I don't know if there is any regulation but I think there is more to it than the price of a kWh, the infrastructure also makes up part of the cost.
I know but this increase need to be capped recently GridCars told me the price of rapid charger unit/device is dollar influenced which is okay because they broucher indicated that they use American manufacturing company and owner can choose to charge clients any amount which is dangerous this means if you buy 60kwh charger and install it on your property/public facility you may charge R20 per Kwh which will be higher than petrol price.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Realistically, with an Electric car, you keep it charged at home 99.9% of the time.

Its only the longer trips that will need charging - eg heading upcountry or longer weekend trips.
No problem charging overnight on a standard connection though.