Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I just read the article now and I see Jan says R50k
Wow, last year when SARS contacted me it was R20k
This is good to know :thumbsup:

Petec

Expert Member
I imported for years.
Get your importers and exporters code (kill 2 birds with 1 stone.)

When you import, you can have a local company clear and deliver for you, or you can do it yourself.

2 things to make 100% sure of. In doing your calculations, note that you actually pay an additional 1% vat, to cover certain costs. It is what it is, so deal with it.
Still much cheaper to import in most cases, tho.

Next is having the correct tariff codes on your shipment. If you ask your supplier to vikkel the invoice, in order for you to pay less duties, you WILL eventually be busted, have your importers licence revoked, and you will pay penalties out of your bum. Plus, you might never see your impounded shipment ever again.

And lastly, DO NOT have your supplier under declare the cost of the goods. If you paid $1000, then that $1000 must reflect on the invoice from them.
Customs officials are actually very clued-up, and know that there is no way a monster screen card only costs $10.
Again, they will impound the shipment, and you will never see it again. Or if you do get it released, you will pay huge penalties.

Don't try game the system. Rather use DHL. Smaller importer companies don't have the bulk shipping capability that DHL has, so the smaller dudes will charge higher shipping costs. DHL is one of the cheapest, because they can offset individual shipping costs from their overall bulk shipment capability.

Priapus

Executive Member
An actual article that is useful for once. I’ll follow it thanks.

chrisc

Executive Member
Make sure the shipper writes the code number on the invoice. This is VITAL as this identifies the code to the clearing agent who enters it on the DA50 (the clearance/duty/VAT form submitted to Customs)

I always specify my address to read:

Name / Initial
Street name and number
Suburb
Town
Postcode
Province
South Africa
Customs code for import 99999999
Tel: (house and mobile)

system32

Expert Member
I applied Friday afternoon and received the code this afternoon using a affidavit stamped by a commissioner of oath to verify my prepaid cellphone number.
Applied last night, got my code this morning - that was fast.

I used a print-screen (PDF) of the MTN-App for my cell verification - worked for me.
They already had my details on file, so I suspect if the numbers match, then not too strict.
Also uploaded a copy of my CoJ rates for address proof.

3Gee

Expert Member
Make sure the shipper writes the code number on the invoice. This is VITAL as this identifies the code to the clearing agent who enters it on the DA50 (the clearance/duty/VAT form submitted to Customs)

I always specify my address to read:

Name / Initial
Street name and number
Suburb
Town
Postcode
Province
South Africa
Customs code for import 99999999
Tel: (house and mobile)

What happens in the case when using Aramex ?

AntennaMan

Expert Member
Every time I change to an organisation and head back to the profile, it has changed back to an individual profile.

Anyone else have this issue?

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Every time I change to an organisation and head back to the profile, it has changed back to an individual profile.

Anyone else have this issue?
Yes you need to do the following

1629837307462.png

Click on profile managment
Then change portfolio Type
1629837334734.png

Then choose organisation

1629837346691.png

Save and you might need to log out then back in

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
What happens in the case when using Aramex ?
After the 3rd time they will want this, i know now everytime i use Aramex they ask for my ID kinda since a year ago i think, but yeah applied last night got it this morning at 8:30am

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
I'm getting the same error this morning. Didn't get a chance to call yet.
Okay got mine in the end, so my mother being my Auditor etc, logged in via her Sars efiling profile then went to me as an organisation via her profile and the thing worked fine, go the document downloaded etc.

AntennaMan

Expert Member

gaboom

So I followed the instructions and it looks like it just got approved - which code is the actual importer's code and what do I submit as proof of this (if it is ever needed)?

I can see three codes:
Product Code (starts with CU and numbers) - most likely since this is the code that is also shown at the top of the page
Reg/Lic No (starts with CUS and numbers)
FAN No (Just numbers)
It is normally an 8 (80%sure) digit code that you receive on a SARS customs and excise letter head and says specifically that xyz is a registered importer with code 12344677