Guide: How to get your importers code

ViCoM

I keep on getting the following error after clicking to complete my application.. any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-30 163449.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-30 163449.png
    81 KB · Views: 46

Speedster

Honorary Master
Submitting this application was torture! Slowest website I've worked on in decades. Anyway, it's finally all filled in but I keep getting an error on final submission. Any suggestions?

connectivity issue.png

Speedster

Honorary Master
Submitting this application was torture! Slowest website I've worked on in decades. Anyway, it's finally all filled in but I keep getting an error on final submission. Any suggestions?

View attachment 1137348
I tried again this morning and was able to successfully submit (11:57). Received the approval at 15:20, just over 3 hours after submission. That's actually pretty impressive.

deesef

Expert Member
How to get your importers code from SARS — save thousands on tech

South African online shoppers who want to do a lot of buying from international stores will require a SARS importers code.

Popular global retailers like Amazon.com offer great prices on tech and gadgets, and sells many products that aren’t available in South Africa.
Yes you need to do the following

View attachment 1133552

Click on profile managment
Then change portfolio Type
View attachment 1133554

Then choose organisation

View attachment 1133556

Save and you might need to log out then back in
Thanks for the article and the post on updating the organisation status. I completed my application about noon yesterday and got the approval confirmation early this morning.

I see that the certificate has a 10-year life. Mine expires on 2031-09-03.

Speedster

Honorary Master
This is all very nice and well, but I can't apply for tax clearance anymore... How do I get back to the original website settings :crying:

Speedster

Honorary Master
Did you change your profile back to individual from organisastion?
I did. Spent about 20 mins on the line with a consultant too. Ended up de-activating and re-activating the TCS function. Now I have to wait for the re-activation to be approved. Hopefully that works

Arthur AnymoreDonuts

I did. Spent about 20 mins on the line with a consultant too. Ended up de-activating and re-activating the TCS function. Now I have to wait for the re-activation to be approved. Hopefully that works
Okey, that's weird. After I got my certificate I just changed my profile back to individual and everything was fine again. Hope you come right.

airborne

Honorary Master
I changed my Portfolio Type to an organisation which it shows has been successful, logged out and back in but when I go to Customs and then Registration, Licensing and Accreditation I get this error "You do not have the correct user profiles to access RLA. Please contact your company e-filing administrator."

What could I be doing wrong?

Speedster

Honorary Master
I changed my Portfolio Type to an organisation which it shows has been successful, logged out and back in but when I go to Customs and then Registration, Licensing and Accreditation I get this error "You do not have the correct user profiles to access RLA. Please contact your company e-filing administrator."

What could I be doing wrong?
You need to activate the RLA tick box under user details (as per the image in the article)

airborne

Honorary Master
You need to activate the RLA tick box under user details (as per the image in the article)
Thank you!
That's what I missed, it now has this error when I go to register " We are busy enrolling you into RLA." but I assume that will go away after a while, I'll try again later.

airborne

Honorary Master
What are you supposed to be stating on your affidavit for proof of address?
I did one at the local police station something to the affect "I hereby state for the record I reside at ## Road Someplace South Africa" and submitted that with my original application and now it has been processed they are still asking for proof of address.

Unfortunately I can't send a utility bill or lease because neither are in my name and the property owner who could probably give me something to use is awol at the moment.

Speedster

Honorary Master
What are you supposed to be stating on your affidavit for proof of address?
I did one at the local police station something to the affect "I hereby state for the record I reside at ## Road Someplace South Africa" and submitted that with my original application and now it has been processed they are still asking for proof of address.

Unfortunately I can't send a utility bill or lease because neither are in my name and the property owner who could probably give me something to use is awol at the moment.
Cellphone or ISP account? Bank statement?

airborne

Honorary Master
Cellphone or ISP account? Bank statement?
I sent my cell contract for the number verification but I'll try my bank account for the address verification if they still aren't happy with my affidavit.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I sent my cell contract for the number verification but I'll try my bank account for the address verification if they still aren't happy with my affidavit.
You can potentially use cell contact for proof of address too

Saba'a

Executive Member

lexor

Expert Member
I'm just a bit confused.

I followed the guide and received a " Registration Certificate" from SARS that state : "SARS has approved your application for registration as a Importer(local)".

There are a number of numbers/codes on the letter and I'm not sure which is the actual "importers code"

Registration Certificate no : CUSxxxxxxx - CUS followed by 7 numbers
Customs Code : CUxxxxxxxx - CU followed by 8 numbers.

I assume the latter is the actual Importers Code ?

Mux

I'm just a bit confused.

I followed the guide and received a " Registration Certificate" from SARS that state : "SARS has approved your application for registration as a Importer(local)".

There are a number of numbers/codes on the letter and I'm not sure which is the actual "importers code"

Registration Certificate no : CUSxxxxxxx - CUS followed by 7 numbers
Customs Code : CUxxxxxxxx - CU followed by 8 numbers.

I assume the latter is the actual Importers Code ?
I have the same confusion. Also assuming the same way you do.