Guide to get PCI and Tower details for Rain

chakniks

Update: Sadly the api has now been stripped of the tower info

1. Login to your Rain account and put the address which you want to extract tower information in the optimizer 1611855053035.png
  2. Press F12 to go into developer tools and go to the network tab
  3. Filter to only get api results for "findnearbysquare" and reload the optimizer page 1611855743775.png
  4. Copy the json response of the api 1611855876165.png
  5. Post the json into any text editor of your choice or online for your viewing pleasure 1611856131525.png

Geometry has the location details.
The best 4G towers are usually the ones with 4X4 MIMO and 1800 FDD + 2600 TDD site tech
1611856439256.png

I hope this wont face the same fate as our lovely debug api.

Last edited:

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Thanks for info. Is there a post explaining how you add this antennae info into router? I have Hybrid 5G but cant seem to find a settings page that lets you do this.

Kiemo

Expert Member
Thanks for info. Is there a post explaining how you add this antennae info into router? I have Hybrid 5G but cant seem to find a settings page that lets you do this.
You should take a router that allows you to LOCK onto a tower in order to do so ... but with this info I think getting the tower location and having an outside antenna should help

cavedog

Honorary Master
You should take a router that allows you to LOCK onto a tower in order to do so ... but with this info I think getting the tower location and having an outside antenna should help

You still need this Arfcn.

We know it's N78 and that according to the data extracted it's 3600Mhz. Using 5G NR ARFCN calculator | 5G-Tools.com (5g-tools.com) that gives us a value of 640000

It still doesn't work for me.

JonOpollo

1. Login to your Rain account and put the address which you want to extract tower information in the optimizer View attachment 1002534
  2. Press F12 to go into developer tools and go to the network tab
  3. Filter to only get api results for "findnearbysquare" and reload the optimizer page View attachment 1002540
  4. Copy the json response of the api View attachment 1002544
  5. Post the json into any text editor of your choice or online for your viewing pleasure View attachment 1002548

Geometry has the location details.
The best 4G towers are usually the ones with 4X4 MIMO and 1800 FDD + 2600 TDD site tech
View attachment 1002554

I hope this wont face the same fate as our lovely debug api
Crudely plotted some google earth map places with the towers I was able to pull in the parow area. Really cool stuff @chakniks

Here is the LINK if anyone is interested from a visual perspective. Nothing you can't already see from the optimiser just thought it'd be cool.

chakniks

You still need this Arfcn.

We know it's N78 and that according to the data extracted it's 3600Mhz. Using 5G NR ARFCN calculator | 5G-Tools.com (5g-tools.com) that gives us a value of 640000

It still doesn't work for me.
To get the EARFCN login to your router and run the below script in the console:
JavaScript:
javascript:currentBand();function currentBand(){$.ajax({type:"GET",async:true,url:"/api/device/signal",error:function(request,status,error){alert("Signal Error:"+request.status+"\n"+"message:"+request.responseText+"\n"+"error:"+error)},success:function(data){var report="";report=report+"RSRQ/RSRP/SINR :"+extractXML("rsrq",data)+"/"+extractXML("rsrp",data)+"/"+extractXML("sinr",data);report=report+"\nBand : "+extractXML("band",data)+" - "+extractXML("dlbandwidth",data);report=report+"\nEARFCN : "+extractXML("earfcn",data);alert(report)}})}function extractXML(tag,data){try{return data.split("</"+tag+">")[0].split("<"+tag+">")[1]}catch(err){return err.message}}function ltebandselection(){if(arguments.length==0){var band=prompt("Please input desirable LTE band number. If you want to use multiple LTE bands, write down multiple band number joined with '+'. If you want to use every supported bands, write down 'ALL'. (Ex. SKT 1+3+5+7 / KT 1+3+8 / LG U+ 1+5+7)","ALL");if(band==null||band===""){return}}else var band=arguments[0];if(!window.location.href.includes("/html/home.html")){alert("You can use this function only in main page.");return}else{var bs=band.split("+");var ltesum=0;if(band.toUpperCase()==="ALL"){ltesum="7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"}else{for(var i=0;i<bs.length;i++){ltesum=ltesum+Math.pow(2,parseInt(bs[i])-1)}ltesum=ltesum.toString(16);console.log("LTEBand:"+ltesum)}$.ajax({type:"GET",async:true,url:"/html/home.html",error:function(request,status,error){alert("Token Error:"+request.status+"\n"+"message:"+request.responseText+"\n"+"error:"+error)},success:function(data){var datas=data.split('name="csrf_token" content="');var token=datas[datas.length-1].split('"')[0];setTimeout(function(){$.ajax({type:"POST",async:true,url:"/api/net/net-mode",headers:{__RequestVerificationToken:token},contentType:"application/xml",data:"<request><NetworkMode>03</NetworkMode><NetworkBand>3FFFFFFF</NetworkBand><LTEBand>"+ltesum+"</LTEBand></request>",success:function(nd){alert(nd)},error:function(request,status,error){alert("Net Mode Error:"+request.status+"\n"+"message:"+request.responseText+"\n"+"error:"+error)}})},2e3)}})}}

1611888698808.png
1611888740853.png
This works for my B818. I hope the same can be done for 5G routers

PAYBACK

Expert Member
That would be a Hybrid ODU I'm assuming. They only suppling those now.

TheSentinel

You still need this Arfcn

Export the logs and search for it, i found it in the trace_log. the router does allow me to select a specific cell on the tower. only worked with closest tower to me, maybe the other towers need NSA mode since they are far.

chakniks

Sadly the api has now been stripped of the tower info, do not bother with this anymore

Kiemo

Expert Member
Definitely technical people watching threads and reporting ...

GAFFER7773

Been trying for months to get the tower details, finally figured something out.

Follow these steps for arfcn and pci

1. export logs from router (system>logs)

WinRAR-15062021-010642.png
2.Open the "Trace_log" folder and then open up one of the .tar.bz2 files

3.after opening the tar.bz2 open the contained .txt file.

4.Search the cell id you are looking for.
notepad++-15062021-010944.png

5. Look within that line for the "earfcn" "cell code" . ( in my case im using arfcn:642624 and PCI:346 on band n78)
firefox-15062021-005907.png

StephOsK

Good day all,

Does anyone know how to get the exact tower location on the map with the Cell ID or PCI?
I do have the cell ID and the PCI of the tower I am connected to but sadly the Rain API on the optimiser page is totally incorrect as it shows that I am connected to the wrong tower (4.18km away from me) as I was told by a rain representative!
Since they take years to reply to emails so they can figure it out for me, I figured I would ask if anyone knows about it here.

Thanks in advance.