Guide to get PCI and Tower details for Rain

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Good day all,

Does anyone know how to get the exact tower location on the map with the Cell ID or PCI?
I do have the cell ID and the PCI of the tower I am connected to but sadly the Rain API on the optimiser page is totally incorrect as it shows that I am connected to the wrong tower (4.18km away from me) as I was told by a rain representative!
Since they take years to reply to emails so they can figure it out for me, I figured I would ask if anyone knows about it here.

Thanks in advance.
HI @StephOsK

Let me check for you

GhostShow

Update: Sadly the api has now been stripped of the tower info

1. Login to your Rain account and put the address which you want to extract tower information in the optimizer View attachment 1002534
  2. Press F12 to go into developer tools and go to the network tab
  3. Filter to only get api results for "findnearbysquare" and reload the optimizer page View attachment 1002540
  4. Copy the json response of the api View attachment 1002544
  5. Post the json into any text editor of your choice or online for your viewing pleasure View attachment 1002548

Geometry has the location details.
The best 4G towers are usually the ones with 4X4 MIMO and 1800 FDD + 2600 TDD site tech
View attachment 1002554

I hope this wont face the same fate as our lovely debug api.
Does seem like their site API shows mimo anymore?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Been trying for months to get the tower details, finally figured something out.

Follow these steps for arfcn and pci

1. export logs from router (system>logs)

View attachment 1088897
2.Open the "Trace_log" folder and then open up one of the .tar.bz2 files

3.after opening the tar.bz2 open the contained .txt file.

4.Search the cell id you are looking for.
View attachment 1088899

5. Look within that line for the "earfcn" "cell code" . ( in my case im using arfcn:642624 and PCI:346 on band n78)
View attachment 1088901

This is the best especially for people that mount it outside and want to catch a specific tower that might be further away but with better speeds.

Been playing around with the PCI lock to a few towers close to me and both towers gives similar speeds. One slows down a bit more in peak time like today but has higher top speeds over 400Mbps. The other one slows a bit duing peak but sustains at least 200Mbps down and always around 100Mbps up and latency is lower.

Good thing to save the values on a notepad of each tower and then people can play around with the tower lock.

GhostShow

This is the best especially for people that mount it outside and want to catch a specific tower that might be further away but with better speeds.

Been playing around with the PCI lock to a few towers close to me and both towers gives similar speeds. One slows down a bit more in peak time like today but has higher top speeds over 400Mbps. The other one slows a bit duing peak but sustains at least 200Mbps down and always around 100Mbps up and latency is lower.

Good thing to save the values on a notepad of each tower and then people can play around with the tower lock.
Do you have the outdoor CPE ? Yeah it's best to play around. See what works the best. With loadshedding things become weird

Dretastic06

when i do the search i keep finding the same tower, i did a reset and latched onto a new tower but the log isnt showing it. Any help please?

cavedog

Honorary Master
when i do the search i keep finding the same tower, i did a reset and latched onto a new tower but the log isnt showing it. Any help please?

Your biggest issue will be getting the PCI values.

What I did was placed the CPE in a place where I know it will just capture certain towers.

From the "Trace_log" .txt file which would be the last file there, search for Arfcn when you open the .txt file with notepad. It will start searching and when it finds it look for the Arfcn and PCI value.

You might get more values if your cpe switches between towers a lot. If not move the CPE so that it switches towers so you can have those in the logs.

Reactions: Yuu

Dretastic06

Your biggest issue will be getting the PCI values.

What I did was placed the CPE in a place where I know it will just capture certain towers.

From the "Trace_log" .txt file which would be the last file there, search for Arfcn when you open the .txt file with notepad. It will start searching and when it finds it look for the Arfcn and PCI value.

You might get more values if your cpe switches between towers a lot. If not move the CPE so that it switches towers so you can have those in the logs.
thank you I will try it now.