Guilty for selling my Xbox to a Noob

Cap'n Crunch

Hi All

I feel a bit guilty after selling my Xbox One recently. I used gumtree and after a few days got a call from a guy who was interested and wanted to come check it out the same day. We negotiated a price and he came to my place to check it out. I even plugged it in and connected a screen so that he was happy that it was working ok and that was that.

I now get a call from him telling me it's used up all his mobile data because of updates. He says "he's not an xbox guy, and I didn't warn him about the amount of data it was going to use."

Now I do feel a bit guilty for not warning him of the implications of having a console that needs an internet connection. When I buy second hand items, because there's no real exchange or return policy, I do my research before I buy anything from some stranger so I assumed he already decided to buy an Xbox so he knew he needed internet for it and wasn't buying something he knew nothing about (i wouldn't).

Now is it naive to say that's just way things are today and that devices need internet and a lot of it so "welcome to the new millennium" (everyone has a smartphone these days but no one understands how much a Gigabyte actually is). Anyone using a mobile internet package should "wake up" to how much they are being scammed through sky high mobile data costs and that it is going to be VERY expensive trying to use an Xbox over 3G/LTE.

Maybe I've been in the IT Industry for so long I don't even give it a thought. Capped internet is no longer practical unless you can manage your bandwidth and make sure your usage is consistent. Gone are the days of 4mbps ADSL capped at 3GB being enough internet, because granny said she only uses it for emails. When a triple A game wants to do updates these days it's more like 20GB at a time and there's no one who would be silly enough to buy 20GB of prepaid mobile data just to update a game when it needs it.

Should I sympathize with the guy and offer to plug it into my internet to do the initial updates it needs? (I admit I could have done this already as the Xbox has been packed away in it's box for months) There will be future updates though, will he come back to me to use my internet every time he needs to update? Or should I accept a return because it's useless to him without a decent internet connection? (I feel like it's not my problem he didn't already know that, it's not a Playstation 1).

Thoughts?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Disconnect the Xbox from the WiFi and use something like Telkom's R50 for 500GB night surfer for updates/downloads?
It has nothing to do with you being negligent, rather that this person doesn't understand what buying the product entails/doing proper research.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
He can stick with physical copies then I think. Or do those need a connection too?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
You did the guy a favor now he may learn the magic of having uncapped internet

Cap'n Crunch

He can stick with physical copies then I think. Or do those need a connection too?
Even when I got it and installed Halo 5 from disc it still needed to download a 20GB update. Sadly today everything needs an internet connection.

Cap'n Crunch

You did the guy a favor now he may learn the magic of having uncapped internet
Uncapped is not even a thought to me. When I think of internet I don't think of watching my bandwidth usage. If I need 100GB of stuff I don't have time for limits. Not to mention any streaming media almost exclusively needs to be able to download constantly.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Caveat emptor. The failing is his.

If I were in your position, and told I "didn't warn him about the amount of data it was going to use", I might have suffered a laughter induced stroke. How is that your responsibility? For "not being an Xbox guy" I'd be happy to educate him as to the console's data requirements. He can then either choose to join the rest of us in 2018, or sell his recently acquired Xbox to someone who would appreciate it.

genetic

Honorary Master
Tell him to piss off. He bought your Xbox, not your internet data.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Tl;DR.

Don't let him walk over you. You didn't marry the person, you sold him a product. If he is not happy, he can sell it again. What he does with it is his problem. It is his own responsibility to research the product he wants. I am not gonna buy a second hand smart phone and then blame the seller that he didn't warn me it used a lot of data.
I buy my first car, now I blame the dealer becaue it cost a lot to maintain.
I bought a swimming pool, now I blame the pool shop because it uses a lot of water.

It's rubbish. He got what he wanted. Now he can leave you alone.

Last edited:

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Hey bud it's Easter have a heart and give the guy an easter egg and tell him to f-aff

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Look if it's a kid...go easy on him and try to help him out of a tough spot.

If not a kid...he can grow the fk up. You sold him an xbox, not and xbox plus connectivity. Nor are you responsible for warning him of anything either (unless the product is defective).

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
The fact that this weighs enough on your conscience to contemplate it and to even post a tl;dr version speaks volumes to your character OP. I'd buy you a Bells.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
I now get a call from him telling me it's used up all his mobile data because of updates. He says "he's not an xbox guy, and I didn't warn him about the amount of data it was going to use."

What? :confused:

He was tech savvy enough to connect the Xbox to his wi-fi. Whether you an "xbox guy" or not and you live in SA, you cannot claim ignorance at not being warned! Tell him to feck off!

NorthPole

Remember every update software wise on the Xbox states the size of it... if he didn't do the math, his problem.

GoB

Expert Member
There wasn't even a defect which was misunderstood, so IMO you are no longer being considerate but empowering rude entitlement.

Just think about it for a second... would you contact a seller with something like this and ruin his good conscience?

The advice you can give him is that he should sell it and buy a chipped console filled with pirated games then.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Don't see how it's your problem at all if he failed to understand what he was buying.

To even have the audacity to call you about his problems after the fact just speaks volumes of his character.

Nothing to feel guilty about. If he bought it brand new in a shop it would have been no different.

He also doesn't NEED to plug it into the internet. That is entirely optional so simply plug it out and off you go.

Last edited:

airborne

Honorary Master
Just imagine the poor sucker paid full price and bought one new, they always need a serious update out the box :crylaugh:

Dave

Honorary Master
I can't believe this thread, what next?

When you sell your car the buyer comes back and wants a refund because he drove the car and the petrol in the tank was used up and he says "he's not a car guy, and I didn't warn him about the amount of petrol it was going to use."?

Just tell him to go sort his internet...

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
The only reply to that buyer on the Cape Flats would be, "Are you then Jussss!?" and
/click