Guinness World Record for world's whitest paint made to replace air-conditioning

Sapphiron

Expert Member
White roof you say....

1487-hadeda-ibis.jpg

800wm

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Recycled news, I read about this in April:

That's cool.
Literally cool. Next in, "people freezing in winter as white houses temperatures plummet - unnaturally cold for this area/time of year"

That's why I'm always sceptical of press releases:
But the paint also cooled temperatures during wintertime. When the outside temperature was 43 F (6 C), the paint decreased the sample temperature by 18 F (10 C).

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yeah, no thanks..

I can only assume this would be bollocks expensive and it would be cheaper to just get fsckoff big aircons and run them 24x7 anyway.

Corelli

Expert Member
I tried this style paint. Painted a metal roof white with cooltech paint.

By 3pm on a very hot day 32c I still had water droplets on my roof. I subsequently painted it a darker colour. As well on cold Cape Town winters, well... I would have to replace my ceilings from the moisture often.

So this would only really work with concrete roofing, but on metal...its a no go. You need that heat.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Does it get a new record every time they improve by 1%? This story can get recycled endlessly:
This whitest paint surpasses the ultrawhite paint that the same group of engineers at Purdue University revealed in October 2020, and it can cool buildings just as an air conditioner would, they report in a new study.

Budza

Executive Member

By 3pm on a very hot day 32c I still had water droplets on my roof. I subsequently painted it a darker colour. As well on cold Cape Town winters, well... I would have to replace my ceilings from the moisture often.

So this would only really work with concrete roofing, but on metal...its a no go. You need that heat.
Something like this?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

If you have sufficiently thick insulation, it does not matter what colour the exterior surfaces are painted. IMO this is another one of those 'solutions looking for a problem to solve'. It makes for a nice press release, but is completely irrelevant in the real world. Maybe for spacecraft where weight and heat are important?