Gumtree Fraud

Taqyon

I've used Gumtree to sell and buy small stuff before, but now that I'm trying to sell an iPhone 7, I've had 3 requests and all 3 are Nigerian fraudsters!

The first guy said he'll have a friend look at the phone then deposit the money. I met the guy, seems happy with the phone, and I get an SMS that the deposit is made, but looking at my account, the deposit was a cheque deposit. I explained I'll wait for the money to be cleared and they agreed, but this morning the payment failed...

Then there is a guy wanting me to accept his payment through payfast. I'm expecting his payment confirmation on a spoofed address any moment now..

It's insane that Gumtree has become so corrupt and all Nigerians!

Gumtree should really address this issue, they're now a vehicle for crime. I pity the guys falling for it.

Isn't there an escrow service already? I was going to code something like that some time ago but never got around to it.

I'm publishing their email addresses and telephone numbers here, so that it can perhaps show up in a google search:

063 439 9627
068 866 6582
sharonchalton569@gmail.com
ottostephen69@gmail.com

Something should be done..

alqassam

Expert Member
I've used Gumtree to sell and buy small stuff before, but now that I'm trying to sell an iPhone 7, I've had 3 requests and all 3 are Nigerian fraudsters!

The first guy said he'll have a friend look at the phone then deposit the money. I met the guy, seems happy with the phone, and I get an SMS that the deposit is made, but looking at my account, the deposit was a cheque deposit. I explained I'll wait for the money to be cleared and they agreed, but this morning the payment failed...

Then there is a guy wanting me to accept his payment through payfast. I'm expecting his payment confirmation on a spoofed address any moment now..

Gumtree should really address this issue, they're now a vehicle for crime. I pity the guys falling for it.

Isn't there an escrow service already? I was going to code something like that some time ago but never got around to it.

I'm publishing their email addresses and telephone numbers here, so that it can perhaps show up in a google search:

063 439 9627
068 866 6582
ottostephen69@gmail.com

There is standard bank shepherd.

Carbonite is much better for high value items.

Just be careful and trust your gut. If it's too good to be true leave it

OCP

Expert Member
yeah - they are everywhere.

I have been using Gumtree quite a bit in the last 2 years to get rid of unused stuff.
The scammer:potential buyer ratio seems to be 3:1 at the moment.

Even had the same guy try to scam me twice.

Just keep reporting them, Tamarah will close the accounts :)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I've given up reporting these guys to gumtree, they don't give a ****.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I've given up reporting these guys to gumtree, they don't give a ****.
What exactly do you expect them to do about it? Gumtree can only act on dodgy sellers, there's not much they can do about dodgy buyers.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
What exactly do you expect them to do about it? Gumtree can only act on dodgy sellers, there's not much they can do about dodgy buyers.
Its not rocket science - ban the addresses they use... I've been contacted by the same buyers on different deals over extended periods.

Yes, they can just create new addresses/contact details - but so can sellers - at least it might save one or two people from being scammed.

vorman

Expert Member

063 439 9627
068 866 6582
ottostephen69@gmail.com

+1

Have noticed an increase over the years. Some of it is right out noticeable, by reading the info they typed and the email address its coming from. Usually they say its for my cousin in Kempton Park or somewhere else.

If theres a name in the email address, i actually google it and find profiles online. Has worked before and the people i found actually matched the buyer, i look for clues to see if the person is actually in my hometown and such.

But i've beginning to lose trust in Gumtree, we can report them but they can create a new email within seconds so i dont know.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
Advertising a phone on Gumtree is an absolute scammer magnet - doesn't matter whether it's a Galaxy S7, iPhone 7 or Nokia 3310.

Necropolis

Executive Member
OP: There's not a whole hell of a lot that Gumtree can do to stop scammers from using the site.

Unless they close down.

063 439 9627
068 866 6582
ottostephen69@gmail.com

Only 3? LOL

073 650 9665
063 312 1958
+61 26145 2255
060 725 2179
063 167 3246

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Its not rocket science - ban the addresses they use... I've been contacted by the same buyers on different deals over extended periods.

Yes, they can just create new addresses/contact details - but so can sellers - at least it might save one or two people from being scammed.
They don't even need to register on Gumtree to buy... just straight up Whatsapp you using the number provided on your ad.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
They don't even need to register on Gumtree to buy... just straight up Whatsapp you using the number provided on your ad.
That's if you provide the number in the ad... learnt my lesson why not to do that a VERY long time ago.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
same as people blaming guns for murders or liquor stores for alcoholics....people are so dumb

joburgbeardcompany

I've also noticed that I get a lot of scammers on Gumtree when I was selling stuff lately. But OLX is way worse. When a SMS message starts with "Hie", then you know it's a scammer.

rietrot

Honorary Master
One way to avoid scams is cash on collection/delivery. It does limit you somewhat to stay local.