Gumtree scams: what to watch out for and how to avoid them

genetic

Honorary Master
Common sense is the difference between a fool losing money or not.

crysis

Expert Member
I find things sell fastest on gumtree. So I have no choice, If I want to get rid of something, gumtree is pretty much the only option.

falcon786

Executive Member
While I agree on these tips unfortunately a big one is not very PC so won't be mentioned,basically if you hear the persons voice is of west african original you need to be extra careful,In most cases it's a scammer.

Now don't get me wrong I know there are many good Nigerian people out there but there are also unfortunately too many who just make a business out of scamming people on classified sites in SA,OLX is also flooded with them.

They deposit stolen cheques into your account instead of doing a proper bank transfer and send a courier to collect your stuff for free,they also advertise as being in remote areas like Northern cape,Upington and other remote areas when they are actually sitting in Hillbrow or elsewhere in JHB.We've even busted a syndicate operating out of a huge mansion in upmarket Houghton.

Yes there are many local scammers too including one well spoken well dressed local guy who will swop out your expensive goods(cellphones,jewelry etc) with a cheap dummy during the sale then says he needs to go to an ATM and never returns because he already has your stuff,but there are also thousands of honest local people so the ratio for foreign people is just too high to make it worth even trying with them.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
While I agree on these tips unfortunately a big one is not very PC so won't be mentioned,basically if you hear the persons voice is of west african original you need to be extra careful,In most cases it's a scammer.

Now don't get me wrong I know there are many good Nigerian people out there but there are also unfortunately too many who just make a business out of scamming people on classified sites in SA,OLX is also flooded with them.

They deposit stolen cheques into your account instead of doing a proper bank transfer and send a courier to collect your stuff for free,they also advertise as being in remote areas like Northern cape,Upington and other remote areas when they are actually sitting in Hillbrow or elsewhere in JHB.We've even busted a syndicate operating out of a huge mansion in upmarket Houghton.

Yes there are many local scammers too including one well spoken well dressed local guy who will swop out your expensive goods(cellphones,jewelry etc) with a cheap dummy during the sale then says he needs to go to an ATM and never returns because he already has your stuff,but there are also thousands of honest local people so the ratio for foreign people is just too high to make it worth even trying with them.
TL;DR

wait for the money to clear

falcon786

Executive Member
TL;DR

wait for the money to clear
That^^^

All a scammer can then do is waste some of your time. Cash in hand or cleared in account, no exceptions.
I haven't been scammed fortunately but just putting it out there after having my time wasted twice by Nigerians claiming to "do transfer and send my brother to pick it up".

Now if I hear a story like that,I tell them where to get off.I don't even waste my time giving my banking details as that way you may keep the item from a legitimate buyer while you're waiting for some money/buyer that doesn't exist.

Madhawk

Honorary Master
Only transact face to face on Gumtree – meet in-person to see the item and exchange money.
I only do this, best way to sell and buy.