Guptas to splash out R100m on wedding bash

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Guptas to splash out R100m on wedding bash

The Guptas are reported to be hosting a lavish double wedding at a palatial hotel in Abu Dhabi.

The AmaBhungane Centre for Investigative Journalism published a nine-page wedding invitation on Friday and said the bash‚ an event lasting five days between February 19 and 23‚ could end up costing as much as R100m.

"The wedding is a double-feature‚ with Rajesh 'Tony' Gupta’s daughter Shubhangi Singhala marrying Chetan Jain and Atul Gupta’s son Srikant Singhala tying the knot with Akhya Bansal.

"This is the third publicly lavish wedding the family has funded‚" said AmaBhungane.

The logos of Gupta companies in South Africa‚ including the Koornfontein mine where miners have gone unpaid‚ are featured in the wedding invitation.

The publication said a request for comment directed to a Gupta lawyer in South Africa went unanswered.

The Gupta family made headlines when they hosted the "wedding of the century" at Sun City in 2013.

More than 200 guests arrived in a passenger jet that landed without permission from the military at Waterkloof Air Force Base‚ one of the country’s national key points.

Vega Gupta married Aakash Jahajgarhia in a lavish wedding that raised questions about Zuma’s apparently cosy relationship with the wealthy Gupta family.

SowetanLIVE reported in 2017 how invoices from the R30m bash‚ contained in a tranche of leaked e-mails‚ painted an astonishing picture of the family's exorbitant sweet tooth. Hazelnut milk Lindor truffles alone set taxpayers back R13‚088.

The leaked e-mails revealed how the wedding was paid for with money funnelled from the Estina dairy project in the Free State to the UAE.

AmaBhungane said high-profile guests from around the world were expected to attend the latest wedding ceremonies at the Emirates Palace.

Grant

Honorary Master
The Gupta family made headlines when they hosted the "wedding of the century" at Sun City in 2013.
indeed - the wedding of the century
a vulgar display of stolen money & festival of crass and bad taste

and that bride - my god, what an unfortunate looking creature. she can thank god daddy is a successful thief, otherwise she would still be single & driving tuktuk taxis in bangladesh for the rest of her days

R13...

Honorary Master
I wonder if we can demand the lord's first night or something seeing that we're paying for what will likely be a Liberace level of taste wedding.

Dubai is actually a good choice for this type of wedding. If he were still alive today, Liberace would live there.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I wonder if we can demand the lord's first night or something seeing that we're paying for what will likely be a Liberace level of taste wedding.

Dubai is actually a good choice for this type of wedding. If he were still alive today, Liberace would live there.
I need less drugs. Or more. I'm not sure which, but not a single thing you wrote makes sense.

R13...

Honorary Master
I need less drugs. Or more. I'm not sure which, but not a single thing you wrote makes sense.
Their gaudy taste = Liberace (his taste was just as bad)
Dubai love that kind of taste(lessness)
Lord's first night = in the old days, when you got married the lord (fiefs) got the first with your virgin bride ;)

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Their gaudy taste = Liberace (his taste was just as bad)
Dubai love that kind of taste(lessness)
Lord's first night = in the old days, when you got married the lord (fiefs) got the first with your virgin bride ;)
Ya. Right.

You need the drugs I see.

ForceFate

Honorary Master

We should. If we were lords. However, we're mere peasants serving their insatiable lust for fine things. They're not done yet. They're waiting this one out until another one of their lackeys is appointed president.

R13...

Honorary Master
Thanks was just going to ask that question... or more accurately if Zoomer is on the guest list.
Doubt he'd attend even if he was invited. Despite his many failings Zuma was smart enough to maintain some sort of deniability in the Gupta dealings. He didn't attend the Sun City one either.