H.266 Codec Promises to Reduce Video File Sizes by Half

Nod

Executive Member
Source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/h266-codec-promises-to-reduce-video-file-sizes-by-half
The amount of data required to stream video is set to drop by as much as 50 percent thanks to the development of a new H.266/VVC codec by the Fraunhofer Henrich Hertz Institiute (FHHI).

As Tom's Hardware reports, the new codec was announced this week and brings with it huge gains in terms of quality compared to size. Compared to the existing H.265 codec, H.266 Versatile Video Coding (VVC) can deliver the same quality, but cuts the data requirements by 50 percent. So, for example, a 90-minute 4K video using H.265 is 10GB in size, where as re-encoded with H.266 it will be just 5GB.

FHHI worked with Apple, Ericsson, Intel, Huawei, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and Sony to make H.266 a reality, and if the data saving isn't good enough news alone, it gets better. Not only can the new codec be used for content ranging in quality from SD right through to 8K, it also supports HDR and omnidirectional 360-degree video.
More at the link

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I still feel like we've only barely started adopting H.265, but I like this (I know it's been a couple of years already, but still).
Guessing software decoding is gonna be a real pain on older systems.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Based on the comparison, it seems like VVC is superior to AV1 in terms of compression efficiency, though it's not a clear-cut victory. While if the license matters you most, AV1 will be second-to-none.
I agree.

FNfal

Executive Member
They are still selling H264 cameras REOLINK 5MP PoE Cameras RLC-410 .
H265 is great but H266 or similar would be even better , much easier on the NVR HDD .
It will be a while before we see it in commercial use , until then H265 will do .
Affordable processing power will also have a big impact on the implementation( system on a chip) .

Gudnews

Expert Member
H.265 hasn't really delivered like I thought it would, here's hoping to better returns from H.266.