Hackers nab data from South African National Space Agency FTP server, post it online

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
South African space agency hit by data breach

The South African National Space Agency (Sansa) has been the victim of a cyberattack and 20GB of data taken from one of its servers has been posted online.

A group calling itself CoomingProject has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Cyber criminals as opposed to hackers is my guess. Hackers is such a general term.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It doesn't seem to be had been anything valuable or contractual. Hermanus is only administrative, right?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I would love to know what pieces of value they thought they were gonna extract

SANSA has numerous agreements with other nations. We also host infrastructure and facilities in cooperation. BRICS, well, Russia, is for the construction of the PanEOS antenna, this is one new project of many others already in operation from countries like France and Germany. They do a schit ton of research and tracking of space objects and debris. This is mention of one field they operate in, there are various other fields like GPS, weather systems, etc.

Itsa Trap

Expert Member
SANSA has numerous agreements with other nations. We also host infrastructure and facilities in cooperation. BRICS, well, Russia, is for the construction of the PanEOS antenna, which is only of many others already in operation from countries like France and Germany. They do a schit ton of research and tracking of space objects and debris. This is just mention of one of many other fields they operate in.
It did say the data taken wasn't sensitive. So I suppose the info about that UFO they shot down with a laser back in the day is still safe and sound at area Siggisty Nine.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
We have a space agency???
Yes.

schuits

Expert Member
" The file dump was from the public anonymous FTP server that is active at the Sansa Hermanus facility."

But then it's not a breach or a hack?
Or am I missing something.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It did say the data taken wasn't sensitive. So I suppose the info about that UFO they shot down with a laser back in the day is still safe and sound at area Siggisty Nine.

A lot of the information gathered are for open access, but there may be some cooperative tracking or cooperation which are covered under some confidentiality to keep up-to-date information away from the public. Otherwise, that which could be considered as sensitive are contractual agreements, whether it is related to some project, tender, invoicing, etc. My best guess is that it is administrative information, so there may be some info contained for scrutiny...

LaraC

Honorary Master
A Government agency being hacked does not inspire confidence in their plans to be the custodian of all data in South Africa. :(

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
A Government agency being hacked does not inspire confidence in their plans to be the custodian of all data in South Africa. :(
Hacked?

Seems like it was a publicly accessible ftp server. No haxoring needed.

“On 6 September 2021, Sansa was notified of a possible breach to the IT system. A file consisting of Sansa information was in the public domain,” a spokesperson for the agency said.

“An internal investigation was conducted, and it was determined that no network breach occurred. The file dump was from the public anonymous FTP server that is active at the Sansa Hermanus facility.”

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
no network breach occurred. The file dump was from the public anonymous FTP server that is active at the Sansa Hermanus facility.”
So, "hackers" "nabbed" data that anyone with internets can access?

WTF is wrong with this article, other than waffle about transnet?