krycor

Honorary Master
I have the typical hair loss for age which seems genetic.. ie slow receded in front(still looks normal), developing thinning balding on top but I am 40 so not really out of place.

But yah I’ve seen people start balding like Elon in their 20s. Thankfully I’m a good decade or two from that.

krycor

Honorary Master
I started experiencing hair loss a decade ago. It's not much, receding hairline from the front and sides...

I started cutting it with a hair clipper (no guard) so it's extremely short, or I shave my head bald on occassion. It looks way better and no maintenance is a plus.

Not everyone looks good bald.

Archie1

If you have androgenic alopecia (and not hairloss caused my medication, disease) then there are only a few proven things you can do. Finasteride, Minoxidil & Dermarolling.

Unless, you go the transplant route.
This. Not sure what dermarolling is, but Minoxidil 5% and Finasteride (generic is Finpecia locally) will do the job as long as you use both everyday. It will pause your hairloss.

qscwbt

Expert Member
32 Photos of Bald Celebrities When They Had Hair – Bald Actors

"D"

Expert Member
The root cause of androgenic alopecia is the build up of DHT - which is a derivative of testosterone. This happens over time and causes hairs to miniaturize - literally becoming thinner until they fall out. When this happens that follicle is now closed for good.
Treating this root cause, excuse the pun, is to prevent DHT conversion.
:ROFL: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DHT buildup is also one of the only side-effects of supplementation with creatine ... but by now @kennedym may as well go all in with that to enjoy all the benefits of creatine!

thenameisjaco

:ROFL: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DHT buildup is also one of the only side-effects of supplementation with creatine ... but by now @kennedym may as well go all in with that to enjoy all the benefits of creatine!

Yeah, as far as I know its by no means a proven fact, but a handful of studies do/did seem to show that. I think if anything it might be a really small effect, but I didn't want to take the chance and stopped creatine the moment I found that out.

s898

I saw results from Nioxin shampoo - used it for a few years and then it became less effective. I've since started using Lush - Wasabi shampoo and it's been a noticeable improvement. These products don't encourage new growth but delay the inevitable - in my case for a number of years now.
Do you remember which Nioxin shampoo did you use? I tried looking for it but confused by the "system 1, 2 3 etc".

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Do you remember which Nioxin shampoo did you use? I tried looking for it but confused by the "system 1, 2 3 etc".
No.1, I think it's more potent?

TBH the Lush Wasabi Shampoo is better.

"D"

Expert Member
I didn't want to take the chance and stopped creatine the moment I found that out.
A silver lining: It only has an (exacerbated) effect on men whose male family members in their maternal family line shows signs of baldness.

(Basically, if your mother's biological brothers and/or father turned - or is turning - bald, then her sons will become bald earlier in life if they supplement regularly with creatine.)

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Anyone know if it's possible to get a prescription from a gp for dutasteride?
Or even if dutasteride is available in SA?