Hands-free kits just as risky while driving

endlesslyonline

What's next? Banning GPS's? Because you also listen to what that GPS lady has to say, and occasionally look at the map to see if you are still on the right track.

*edit* oh and also ban any songs with lyrics in it, I tend to listen to what they are singing about, oh oh oh, also talk radio...

QuintonB

BusinessTech Staff
Unless they are referring to a person having to look down to his phone to accept or end a call, this makes no sense. They would then need to ban anyone from talking to a driver and listening to someone speaking on the radio...

To be fair, and play a bit of Devil's advocate here, there's a bit of a difference between passively listening to a radio show or singing along with the music, and actively participating in a conversation.

The latter requires far more concentration than the former.

But yeah, I do think this is a bit over-board.

Mars

Honorary Master
To be fair, and play a bit of Devil's advocate here, there's a bit of a difference between passively listening to a radio show or singing along with the music, and actively participating in a conversation.

The latter requires far more concentration than the former.

But yeah, I do think this is a bit over-board.

Yes, but then so does talking to someone in the car. Why not just ban talking inside vehicles? :rolleyes:

Roo!

Expert Member
Ban passengers and other road users, they are highly distracting!!!

sjm

Expert Member
Yes, but then so does talking to someone in the car. Why not just ban talking inside vehicles? :rolleyes:

When driving I discourage my passengers from talking to me & I will not have serious discussions (arguments etc with fiancee) whilst driving because it distracts me to the extent that I become a hazard.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
BS headline. It implies that hands-free is equally dangerous as not using one. Clearly they are both dangerous, but I think driving with one hand holding the phone is a hint more dangerous.

It kind depends on the importance of the matter though. e.g. Radio or someone chatting idly has little effect...that one can simply block out when things get dicey. If however its a matter of "Havoc memorize this important info"...then an accident is inevitable.

Frankly in SA I think this is the least of our problems though...Lets first execute the guy who came up with the plan of forcing 6 lanes into 2 lanes on the N1 PTA-JHB during rush hour.

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
Next they'll ban thinking while you driving. The whole thing's just stupid.

I reckon the important thing is to keep your eyes on the road. Even if your brain is elsewhere, if you eyes see a danger ahead, your brain will prioritise that danger over everything else.

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member

True, but if it's a song you really like, you could get quite lost in it. :)

freematrix

I still maintain smoking in the car is a much bigger problem.

No, you get them smoking with one hand on the wheel, mobile in the other and still having to change gears while having to concentrate on driving and talking with a passenger next to them and the the mind craving a drag from a cigarette.
Absolute nonsense. I have 2 hands on the wheel, automatic car and hands free and control the system for the phone on my steering wheel.

No different to having a passenger in the car talking to me. Maybe they should also ban passengers from talking to you while driving according to their logic.

milomak

Honorary Master
and i've seen some drivers shift their focus to the person they are talking to while driving. now that has to be worse than using a hands-free.

PHOBOS

When driving I discourage my passengers from talking to me & I will not have serious discussions (arguments etc with fiancee) whilst driving because it distracts me to the extent that I become a hazard.

Same.
I find my concentration when driving to work (as I'm the only 1 in the car) to be much better than trips with people in the car.
Which is why I tell everyone in the car not to talk to me.
The best would be for them not to talk to each other either and for there to be complete silence, but that's asking a bit much.

However to ban hands free kits would be stupid move and just another move to fine the tax paying people with a legit street address, cause we are always easier to find and squeeze money from than crimals who do much worse crimes.