Hard Drive Literally Melted away

pixel_ninja

Expert Member
So I get a call from a panicked client telling me that her machine is on fire. I already had afew other appointments so I told her I'll be there around lunchtime. Anyways, when I get there, expecting to do a simple PSU swapout, I open the chassis to see a charred harddrive. The sata cables were the cause for this flare out, but half the drive had melted away. I will go back and take pics for you guys.

But now they want to claim from insurance and require a reason as to why it went into meltdown. But I've never seen anything like this before? Obviously some sort of voltage spike? The psu and and mainboard still run (although without post so I'm assuming the board is gone too.)

So I just put it down to voltage spike?

Venomous

Honorary Master
So I get a call from a panicked client telling me that her machine is on fire. I already had afew other appointments so I told her I'll be there around lunchtime. Anyways, when I get there, expecting to do a simple PSU swapout, I open the chassis to see a charred harddrive. The sata cables were the cause for this flare out, but half the drive had melted away. I will go back and take pics for you guys.

But now they want to claim from insurance and require a reason as to why it went into meltdown. But I've never seen anything like this before? Obviously some sort of voltage spike? The psu and and mainboard still run (although without post so I'm assuming the board is gone too.)

So I just put it down to voltage spike?
I'd say it was a surge(don't put lightning, power, electrical....) & an unforseen faulty SATA cable. PCs don't get opened on a daily basis, so I can't see them claiming negligence. It's not like you were working inside the PC at the time.

Nick333

Honorary Master
The mind boggles. :wtf: Ja, I guess a voltage spike which caused a short and a faulty PSU that didn't pop from the excess amps being drawn through it. Put it down to a hillariously k@k luck.

recre8

As far as I've heard, the insurance will always tell you they won't pay out if you don't have a UPS connected between your PC and the power socket.

My PC was on fire as well a while ago, luckily while I was setting next to it. One of those Molex-to-SATA power adapters shorted and started a fire inside the pc. Luckily I left the side panel of the case unscrewed and just blew it out.

Venomous

Honorary Master
As far as I've heard, the insurance will always tell you they won't pay out if you don't have a UPS connected between your PC and the power socket.

My PC was on fire as well a while ago, luckily while I was setting next to it. One of those Molex-to-SATA power adapters shorted and started a fire inside the pc. Luckily I left the side panel of the case unscrewed and just blew it out.
not always...

From what I've seen they insits that people get them after 1 or 2 PC damages, more often than not. That said - it's not impossible that some MIGHT insist on a UPS from the start.

pixel_ninja

Expert Member
The Machine was plugged into a UPS. It must be about 2+ years old and was there before I started working with them, so I'm not to sure how much it is worth? Although that's not my concern. If I cannot find those parts(obviously not), then I have to quote for a replacement machine.

Anyways Just thought that it was weird seeing a machine go up in smoke like that. Will up some pics when I get them.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Weird, first time I've heard about that.

I heard about drives getting too hot when sandwiched in between others, but melting away?

Will await photos eagerly.

Grant

Honorary Master
I have heard of instances where firmware or a chip on the drive's logic board goes belly-up causing the disc spin speed to keep increasing (ie not maintaining eg.5400 / 7200 etc. rpm).
The increasing speed causes unbelievable heat & melting away of insulation within or around the drive itself, leading to a short circuit within the drive & possibly elsewhere.