Hard evidence of Afrihost's deception and dishonesty

I am starting a new thread as this should stand on its own.

Relating to post: Afrihost stole R999.00 after denying my claim their website made an error

Summary: Did "migration" from RAIN to Cell C on AH website using the facility they had coded to specifically do this. They sent another RAIN SIM. Didn't want it. Didn't order it. Cancelled. Got billed R999.00

1 The deception

Account lady tells me I am liable as I used the SIM they sent in error. That the penalties are on a SIM basis and not an overall account thing - sure. If I receive a router as part of the deal and I keep it then yes, understandably.

Even so, I checked their Terms & Conditions:

Clause 14.4 (Upper case is theirs not mine)

SHOULD ANY CLIENT ON A PROMOTION PACKAGE (EITHER THE FREE/DISCOUNTED DEVICE OR THE FREE DATA PACKAGE) CANCEL THEIR SERVICE WITHIN 6 (SIX) CALENDAR MONTHS AFTER SIGNING UP IN TERMS OF SECTION 14(2)(b) OF THE CPA, THEY WILL BE SUBJECT TO A FIXED CANCELLATION FEE OF R999 (NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE RAND). AFRIHOST WILL NOT ACCEPT THE RETURN OF USED DEVICES IN LIEU OF THE FEE BEING LEVIED. NON-PAYMENT OF THE CANCELLATION FEE WILL BE VIEWED AS A BREACH OF CLAUSE 10 OF AFRIHOST’S GENERAL TERMS (PAYMENT AND PENALTIES) AND THE PROVISIONS OF THOSE TERMS WILL BE ENFORCED.

No mention of a SIM, only a "package". I pointed out her deception to her (or her human firewall - who knows). I called in. Spoke to the firewall, they said she is going to see fixed wireless head and see what they say and get back to me.

2. The dishonesty

"As per our conversation earlier I have checked with the fixed wireless manager and he confirmed that unfortunately you are liable for the cancellation fee of R999. The notes on your account show that a new sign up was done and not a migration. Neither was it possible that if you had done a migration a RAIN sim would have been sent to you."

First of all, the head of the fixed wireless division is using "notes" to check my activity on the website. Who with the right credentials to run a department like this, refers to their "notes"? Any self respecting e-commerce front end company should have a proper audit trail coded in to their site. Clearly this is not the case here.

A big company like this do not have a proper audit trail. Very concerning to say the least.

Secondly, this woman decides to question my honesty in such a blatant way. What kind of customer service does this? Especially since she did no proper investigation of her own. She's the head of accounts. She did nothing for me. How can I be so sure? She never checked my support tickets. Yep, that's right.

Ticket ID: FAK-501-92492 - thread excerpt (extracted portion)

Me to them:

"....Are they delivering a RAIN sim because if they are then you must cancel the order and redo with a Cell C sim.

Please complete the order as intended.

Just to be clear again. I do NOT want a RAIN sim. Absolutely not. I had one and cancelled it. Not due to bad reception but due to very bad network speeds as a result oversubcription and bad infrastructure."

This completely contradicts what the account lady said to me and casts some serious doubts about the "notes" they were referring to.

Worst yet, this ticket was never replied to. The SIM arrived anyway.

3. Current situation

Got through to the firewall again. She won't talk to me. I sent the evidence that contradicts her yet she will not read it. Firewall says she told them to tell me I am still liable for the R999.00

With all the holding times I have literally spent an full hour and half on calls to them regarding this matter.

I am not too sure what to do next. Let them steal the money or continue fighting.

Last edited:

azex

ouch, sorry to hear about your troubles dude. thanks for the heads up i think i'll be stearing clear of them as im in the market for a new ISP. Gotta love this country, incompetence and corruption at every level of operation

ouch, sorry to hear about your troubles dude. thanks for the heads up i think i'll be stearing clear of them as im in the market for a new ISP. Gotta love this country, incompetence and corruption at every level of operation
and don't forget flagrant false/misleading advertising , nonexistant support, unreasonable opt out/cancellation clauses/charges and a total disregard for their clients at all levels.

and don't forget flagrant false/misleading advertising , nonexistant support, unreasonable opt out/cancellation clauses/charges and a total disregard for their clients at all levels.
The total disregard for clients is mind blowing. Not even with overwhelming evidence do they admit to their mistakes. It's them first, client last. Not even a benefit of the doubt.

They need to do some serious introspection / house-cleaning. Look at the comments on their Facebook page. Frightening.

They actually need to be shut down completely.

Reverse the charge?
Since this is a credit card, the card company won't oblige. As I have dealt with Afrihost before I have to resolve this with Afrihost directly. I pressed them quite hard but they wouldn't budge.

They have given me a whistleblower number, not sure how that will help. Perhaps I can refer them to other cases and motivate the suspension of Afrihosts merchant account. Unlikely but I'll try anything.

I have the following with Afrihost:
40Mbps Openserve fibre with 200GB data
Mobile data APN 2GB with Afrihost Plus
Rain LTE 55GB package
Silver Home Linux Hosting package
Bronze Email domain hosting package

...and never had any serious issues with them. I am rather happy with Afrihost to be honest.

rakabos3

Executive Member
The "notes" could possibly comments captured on the CRM system - who knows.

What we do know is AH is rubbish, they just dont care about reputation anymore. Im guessing their pockets get lined with long term business to business contracts, so the man on the street doesnt matter much.

The rep will of course come in here and post how they care and how shocked they are.

MyBB should really expose the cnts for what they are

The "notes" could possibly comments captured on the CRM system - who knows.

What we do know is AH is rubbish, they just dont care about reputation anymore. Im guessing their pockets get lined with long term business to business contracts, so the man on the street doesnt matter much.

The rep will of course come in here and post how they care and how shocked they are.

MyBB should really expose the cnts for what they are
Could be.

I've managed to track down the name of the man who holds the "notes". I have been blocked by the firewall from reaching him, but have asked for him to phone and explain how he reached his decision.

It would have to be more than a CRM entry to justify his claim and prevent a refund. A proper trail using database entries triggered by actions with labels and timestamps indicating user flow on the website itself is really the only proper way to do this.

He hasn't phoned me back as I was told he would. I'll try again on Monday.

Last edited:
Sheldon responds to my mail regarding a ticket that was never actioned but neglects to read the actual ticket contents (it's in previous comment above ^^)

Unfortunately, we [Afrihost]* can not credit you as there was no migration done, there was a clear sign up done.

I disagree completely. Have you checked my ticket history?

I used your wizard [on Afrihost's website] so whatever happened your side is an error in your site programming. If you are insinuating I am being dishonest then I suggest you find hard evidence and prove it. The only evidence acceptable will be a proper audit trail of web activity. You do have one right?

Why would anyone cancel a RAIN SIM and order another? And lose 33Gig rollover data? Reasonable argument right?

You have also used the data even though you have received the wrong sim card apparently, that means you actively used the data after Afrihost has subsidised the free month.

I went from 33Gig rollover data to 17Gig “free data” the loss was mine not yours. By no means a free month, it was barely a week. I had no choice but to use your SIM as the previous was cancelled by the wizard and other providers were quoting 10 day delivery times. I have a business to run.

Nothing apparent about it being a wrong SIM card, Sheldon.

Please check clause 14.4 of your Terms & Conditions, Wendy.

****The router is also still in your possession where if a migrate was done the contract term would essentially be moved over or extended.**** (emphasis mine)

If you had looked at my record properly you would see I never had a router from you. I have my own. Have you checked my record at all? Have all you have said up till now been based on assumption and not fact?

We have double checked the map and there is no coverage for Cell C on our maps, the only way to process this would be to click the option that says “O know I have coverage" forcing the signup, in which there was no force done.

Funny, I checked with the Cell C front end shop here and they assured me my coverage is pretty darn good.

[shop assistants can and will verify this]

Funny point 2 is your site said there was coverage when I did the wizard [on Afrihost's website] and moved me to the next. Please assume your customer have the skills before you insinuate they don’t. I tried to call you to explain the steps I took and a possible area where the switch was done without my knowledge. I am a senior [software] developer and pretty much “get it”.

But you didn’t take my call nor did you phone back as was assured me you would.

Using another provider, Cell C have just enabled my account and sent a SIM over after confirming my coverage.

Have a great day and please let me know if I can help with anything else!

Yes you can. Respond to this email or give me a call or at the very least take mine when I call you.

I would like your comments on the ticket I quoted above and how you see your practices to be fair based on that alone.

* all content in square brackets added after the fact

Last edited:
Since this is a credit card, the card company won't oblige. As I have dealt with Afrihost before I have to resolve this with Afrihost directly. I pressed them quite hard but they wouldn't budge.

They have given me a whistleblower number, not sure how that will help. Perhaps I can refer them to other cases and motivate the suspension of Afrihosts merchant account. Unlikely but I'll try anything.
Tell the bank to get its head out of its arse, and reverse the charge, you have attempted to deal with Afrihost and they are not being co-operative. Either the bank reverses the charges or you move your account.

Sheldon responds to my mail regarding a ticket that was never actioned but neglects to read the actual ticket contents (it's in previous comment above ^^)

Unfortunately, we [Afrihost]* can not credit you as there was no migration done, there was a clear sign up done.

I disagree completely. Have you checked my ticket history?

I used your wizard [on Afrihost's website] so whatever happened your side is an error in your site programming. If you are insinuating I am being dishonest then I suggest you find hard evidence and prove it. The only evidence acceptable will be a proper audit trail of web activity. You do have one right?

Why would anyone cancel a RAIN SIM and order another? And lose 33Gig rollover data? Reasonable argument right?

You have also used the data even though you have received the wrong sim card apparently, that means you actively used the data after Afrihost has subsidised the free month.

I went from 33Gig rollover data to 17Gig “free data” the loss was mine not yours. By no means a free month, it was barely a week. I had no choice but to use your SIM as the previous was cancelled by the wizard and other providers were quoting 10 day delivery times. I have a business to run.

Nothing apparent about it being a wrong SIM card, Sheldon.

Please check clause 14.4 of your Terms & Conditions, Wendy.

****The router is also still in your possession where if a migrate was done the contract term would essentially be moved over or extended.**** (emphasis mine)

If you had looked at my record properly you would see I never had a router from you. I have my own. Have you checked my record at all? Have all you have said up till now been based on assumption and not fact?

We have double checked the map and there is no coverage for Cell C on our maps, the only way to process this would be to click the option that says “O know I have coverage" forcing the signup, in which there was no force done.

Funny, I checked with the Cell C front end shop here and they assured me my coverage is pretty darn good.

[shop assistants can and will verify this]

Funny point 2 is your site said there was coverage when I did the wizard [on Afrihost's website] and moved me to the next. Please assume your customer have the skills before you insinuate they don’t. I tried to call you to explain the steps I took and a possible area where the switch was done without my knowledge. I am a senior [software] developer and pretty much “get it”.

But you didn’t take my call nor did you phone back as was assured me you would.

Using another provider, Cell C have just enabled my account and sent a SIM over after confirming my coverage.

Have a great day and please let me know if I can help with anything else!

Yes you can. Respond to this email or give me a call or at the very least take mine when I call you.

I would like your comments on the ticket I quoted above and how you see your practices to be fair based on that alone.

* all content in square brackets added after the fact
Report this to the NCC. It is time we saw criminal.prosecutions start happening for CPA violations!