Hard evidence of Afrihost's deception and dishonesty

Robinm_za

Still waiting for a reply from Sheldon at Afrihost.

Some lessons learned:

1. Credit cards

A bank will not reverse a charge on a credit card if you have voluntarily given your card details to the dishonest company. Fraud does not apply. I phoned front desks multiple times to get to different operators to see if I found an "opening". Pushed all of them quite hard. No luck.

Whistleblower number provided after being persistent was unhelpful as well.

Had the bank obliged in the reversal, Afrihost would have re-submitted. To stop that happening the card would have to be cancelled in order to get a new expiry date.

Had I managed to block payment this way, Afrihost could very easily make a negative report to a credit bureau and begin legal action with all the negative consequences. Even with a strong case as this, the amount of cost, time and frustration would not justify the amount. Afrihost know this.

2. Afrihost

Majority of customers seem content but you can only know someone's true nature in times of crisis. Afrihost get by on the things that work and perform terribly when they don't. Have a look at their Facebook page and see the utter frustration when things go wrong.

Their ticketing system is useless. Response times can be weeks. Senior staff don't bother referencing ticket history in order to follow up on complaints. Account manager has no interest in her customers, only what's "fair" for Afrihost even when presented overwhelming evidence (which I am not sure she has actually seen).

The front desk protect senior staff and make promises to customers that they will receive a call from them.

The fixed wireless manager makes judgements without doing proper investigation.

The developers don't test their software properly which I am certain is the reason for what has happened here. They have also not implemented proper auditing on their site so are unable to provide proper evidence of their claims. They do not alert users when making choices at crucial points, they rely solely on small print.

Afrihost have misled many with the 3 months free package by omitting an asterisk on their graphic to indicate conditions attached. I believe this to be a legal requirement.

I think the 1st Level Support are doing the best they can. It can't be great working for a company with management who lack proper leadership and integrity. I bet their turn around on staff is crazy.

Options:

1) Wait for NCC to open next year and make a complaint there

2) Petition VCS to re-evaluate AH's account. Will need case studies other than this one. I will monitor MyBB and create a list even if it takes months. There is already another post on here that fits perfectly.

3) Approach Noseweek and see if they will take the story

Thank you everyone for your support

Last edited:

Christo4

How did they get your cc details?
You dealt with them before. There is your ...........
It worked for an aquaintance.

Christo4

Options:

1) Wait for NCC to open next year and make a complaint there

2) Petition VCS to re-evaluate AH's account. Will need case studies other than this one. I will monitor MyBB and create a list even if it takes months. There is already another post on here that fits perfectly.

3) Approach Noseweek and see if they will take the story

Thank you everyone for your support[/QUOTE]

Start a # me to

namzsteve

Expert Member
Also had R999.00 taken from me, I moved and misplaced my fixed LTE sim card. It was such a hassle for me to get a sim card but eventually I got one, I didn't last 2 weeks and I cancelled it. They again debited R999 which I went to the bank and reversed it. I called afrihost to help me on the issue, I am still waiting for communication from them.

boyequal

Getting g@tvol of Afrihost's practices too.

A couple of months ago I had an issue where I changed my credit card details at Afrihost. The first month it went fine, then after that they suddenly charged the old card again. I never got any official response from Afrihost's support channels, just through myBB. It was the typical, we're so sorry. Never offered to reverse the charges or anything.

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/afrihost-charging-unauthorised-credit-cards.946599/

Robinm_za

Also had R999.00 taken from me, I moved and misplaced my fixed LTE sim card. It was such a hassle for me to get a sim card but eventually I got one, I didn't last 2 weeks and I cancelled it. They again debited R999 which I went to the bank and reversed it. I called afrihost to help me on the issue, I am still waiting for communication from them.
Have they tried to deduct again since then?

Robinm_za

Getting g@tvol of Afrihost's practices too.

A couple of months ago I had an issue where I changed my credit card details at Afrihost. The first month it went fine, then after that they suddenly charged the old card again. I never got any official response from Afrihost's support channels, just through myBB. It was the typical, we're so sorry. Never offered to reverse the charges or anything.

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/afrihost-charging-unauthorised-credit-cards.946599/
This is a good example of what I am looking for.

Robinm_za

@OP, why not posing this in the Afrihost support forum ?
Support forum is run by bots. Easy to tell when the response seems to be unrelated to the post and then they all say PM me.

I sent a message once relating to RAIN and their consistent lack of bandwidth after 5PM and the bot replied something about its easy to check your coverage using our map followed up with something like "if you have any further questions please PM me". So support guys just sit back and wait for PMs.

Even if they do respond in person its still first level support, the same people who man the phones there. Basically powerless since the real problem in this particular case is the account manager and her go-to-guy at fixed wireless dept.

Last edited:

mister

Executive Member
A bank will not reverse a charge on a credit card if you have voluntarily given your card details to the dishonest company. Fraud does not apply. I phoned front desks multiple times to get to different operators to see if I found an "opening". Pushed all of them quite hard. No luck.
Absolute rubbish. Take it to the ombudsman.

whatwhat

Executive Member
It's a credit card. It has protection. You willfully gave them the number and they did not deliver the service - that's fraud. You tried to reason with AH and nothing.

Go open a case of theft at the police against AH. And change banks because your current one seems useless.

LaraC

Honorary Master
What would the position be had the OP not used the (incorrectly supplied) Rain SIM?

netstrider

Hmm, @Afrihost-Gian and his team (Afriman was it?) don't seem to care at all.

Their mail servers go down so frequently too. I've got a cheap-o hosting account with a US/EU provider with which I have never experienced any downtime with for near 5 years and yet at the office we frequently (perhaps once a month or so) have a day where there's at least a few hours of mail downtime.