Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

SureThing

I can't speak for this particular model but I have the wall mount version and it's awesome. Full articulation, stable and easy to install. I'd try and find the manual for it and see if it states the min and max thickness of the desk it requires.

I seem to think you get two versions, one that clamps on and another that you drill holes through your desk for. Best to check their website to see if they have any manuals for that particular model
Which wall mounted ones do you have? Is there any srill involved? Size capacity it holds and cost?

SureThing

You should get the one from checkers.. similar design but, much cheaper.. I have one and it works as expected and no complaints.. install either through the existing cable grommet hole in your desk, or drill a 8mm hole if you are adventurous.. alternatively, it can mount on the back edge of the desk but, this works only if you have a straight desk and not a corner or 90 degree bend desk..
Cheaper is good but is quality good...no wobbly stuff?

WAslayer

Executive Member
Cheaper ia good but is quality good...no wobbly stuff?
I was just as skeptical about the quality.. was very pleasantly surprised when I unboxed it, at how sturdy all the parts are.. It's as stiff as you need it to be.. your screens won't be wobbling while typing, as an example.. you need to be banging the desk pretty hard before you get a wobble..

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Thank you for your response. Im toying with the idea of free standing wide angled monitors versus mounted 27" smaller versions ( max size support). Space creation is the main reason and hence feedback like this is valuable. I just dont want to continuously adjust the monitors because of issues you mentioned. So quality is important and cost will be a factor in the equation as well.

I adjust mine constantly.
When working, I sit in the middle between monitors. My 27" 4K monitor needs to be a pretty exact distance from my face to see the text clearly, so I need to move it back and forth based on whether I'm sitting, or my desk is in standing mode. I switch about 3 times a day.
I also raise it when standing.

When moving a monitor, It's grab, pull, rotate, and done. Or grab, push, rotate, done. I did it twice just now in less than 5s.
When gaming, I want to have my 32" 1440p monitor head on and move my 4K monitor off to the side, so I adjust my monitors again.

When playing controller games, I lounge on the couch next to my desk and move my right-side 32" monitor all the way to the left, raise it and tilt it down. This takes a bit longer, 10 - 15s.

On the very odd occasion that my wife wants to game with me, or work next to me while I game, I push both monitors back for a straight side by side layout.

There's no more worrying about the monitor stand being on cables, or in the way of the keyboard/wireless charger/external DAC, etc. You just move it.

I'm very happy with mine, even though it's not perfect.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Which wall mounted ones do you have? Is there any srill involved? Size capacity it holds and cost?
I can't recall the exact model but it's the single monitor gas lift North Bayou mount that sells on Takealot for around R499/599.

I had to drill two 8mm holes to affix it. They provide you with the necessary coach screws and an allen wrench to adjust the gas lift strength. I think it holds up to 7kg or so, I'll have to check

Link: https//www.takealot.com/nb-north-bayou-articulating-double-extension-swivel-tv-monitor-wall-17-27-inch/PLID56138088

enerdude

Expert Member
USB 5 Meter RGB Strip Light - https://onedealaday.co.za/
Never bought from them so guess we will have to see...
Going for R200, shipping to JHB is R75 so total for me was R275.

Time left and quantity is fake though, it resets after a while.

Already had a similar 3m led strip but mine is running via a power adapter, this one is powered by usb so one can hook it up behind the tv and use tv usb port as it will then turn off when tv is switched off and no need to do it manually via the remote.

Edit:
Deal was on the main page, now sold out:

Last edited:

applesf2

USB 5 Meter RGB Strip Light - https://onedealaday.co.za/
Never bought from them so guess we will have to see...
Going for R200, shipping to JHB is R75 so total for me was R275.

Time left and quantity is fake though, it resets after a while.

Already had a similar 3m led strip but mine is running via a power adapter, this one is powered by usb so one can hook it up behind the tv and use tv usb port as it will then turn off when tv is switched off and no need to do it manually via the remote.
Is this for ambilight?

enerdude

Expert Member

johnjm

Expert Member
Nope as far as I know ambilight is unique to Philips tvs. It entails more than just led lights as the lights can react to music etc. Read more here:

He is asking if the LEDs can be used to make an ambilight system. Plenty people use a rpi and specific 5V LEDs that have a controller each that does it.

These are not those LEDs though.

adielk

Executive Member

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Cheap decent Bluetooth speaker?

As said above, cheap is relative.
The JBL Charge is great, and I assume the JBL Flip will sound almost just as good. The JBL Go is definitely worse, but still much better than the smaller Shox speaker I had.

As you can tell, I've had good experiences with JBL. My adventures with a really cheap and small speaker was short lived.

enerdude

Expert Member
He is asking if the LEDs can be used to make an ambilight system. Plenty people use a rpi and specific 5V LEDs that have a controller each that does it.

These are not those LEDs though.
Yeah I wasn't aware people use a pi to do the same but gathered the leds is not normal ones like the ones in the 5m led strip special.

holler

As some retailers are following a Black November/ extended Black Friday strategy this year, is there a BF 2020 thread as yet?

ld13

Honorary Master
Xiaomi Mi Box S for R999 from tomorrow!