Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Wakandafication

Hey Chums any idea on the easiest /cheapest way to convert a 220v SA plug down to 120v to accommodate an Amazon Damnnnnn Great discount but I'm gonna fry this sucker now! Caution pays on purchase. All my savings to a voltage convertor...
This isn't the buyers remorse thread, please stick to the topic.

skanky

What device is it? Most electronic power supplies can support a wide input voltage.

If not, you can get compact transformers but you need to make sure it's capable of handling the wattage the device is trying to draw.
Its a top end coffee grinder. Thanks for the advice. Hardware of a sort. Grocery hardware :)

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Its a top end coffee grinder. Thanks for the advice. Hardware of a sort. Grocery hardware :)
Unlikely to support unless it explicitly says 100-240v on the label.

That said, most will have some sort of PSU inside to convert down AC voltage to DC, so someone with a marginal clue should be able to replace it out with a 240v equivalent. I have done that in the past with 110v equipment.

If that doesn't make any sense, then buy a 110v - 220v inverter, and make sure its rated for whatever wattage the unit takes.

If its a grinder - i.e. has a motor, the little dinky plug shaped ones won't be sufficient, as it will draw too much current.

Reactions: Yuu

K3NS31

Expert Member
post pics. Keen to see the grinder. Might actually be able to help with the plug question too, but probably not ;)

greg_SA

Expert Member
I'd guess that the coffee grinder will use 110V AC directly to an AC motor. In that case you'd have to buy an adequately sized transformer.

It is unlikely that the motor is DC. It is normally only DC devices that can have a wide AC input range, since the input AC is converted to a lower DC voltage.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

enerdude

Expert Member
For those not 'scared' of evetech - 1TB SATA SSD at R1499. Shipping to JHB seems additional R75

1TB NVMe @ R1799:

bromster

Executive Member

I can still vouch for these. Had them over a year now and they are well worth the money. I can wear them all day. They punch far above their weight in terms of sound quality, better than air pods or the Samsung one's in my opinion. Battery life is still 6 hours on a charge and I only need to recharge the case once a week on average. Call quality is good. No noise cancelling, but they only really seem to suffer when it's really noisy or windy.

enerdude

Expert Member
Not strictly a hardware bargain, but something to chew on while enjoying your newly bought hardware bargain ;)
Maynards Jelly babies / Fruit Chews / Wine Gums (400g) - 3 for 2 @ R54.99, so works out to R36.66 per 400g pack

Ad mentions Jelly babies and fruit chews only but I went into my local store and enquired about the wine gums and they are also included. Gonna get drunk tonight :p

StoneCold

Expert Member
RTX 3060ti now at Wootware @ R10k

Yup, I saw.

Really keen on buying one, but would rather wait 2-4 months more before I pull the trigger. I hope that by that stage, the pricing would at least drop R500 - R1000 once stock levels normalize. At this stage it feels like everyone locally is squeezing excessive markup on these new cards just because they can (and due to international shortages), but Wootware's pricing isn't too shabby at all compared to other online retailers.

Although, locally, I have to say, it doesn't seem like we have a lot of stock issues. I think it's more a case of the cards just being so damn expensive that not everyone can afford to fork out R10k+ right now due to how 2020 has gone.

I'm definitely upgrading my GTX 1070 in the next few months, I actually want a RTX 3070 rather than the 3060 Ti, although for 10% difference on average between the 2 cards, I don't think spending an extra R2500 is worth it for me personally. The 3060 Ti has decent 1440p performance (as I'll be gaming in 1440p) so I doubt, I'll really miss out on anything if I don't go the RTX 3070 route.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Not strictly a hardware bargain, but something to chew on while enjoying your newly bought hardware bargain ;)
Maynards Jelly babies / Fruit Chews / Wine Gums (400g) - 3 for 2 @ R54.99, so works out to R36.66 per 400g pack

Ad mentions Jelly babies and fruit chews only but I went into my local store and enquired about the wine gums and they are also included. Gonna get drunk tonight :p
Be careful! These may not be Haribo brand but seem suspiciously close.
This is just one of many similar reviews.

(Very long but K@K funny. Literally).

Sorry for off topic but it's worth it.

Conack

Expert Member
For those not 'scared' of evetech - 1TB SATA SSD at R1499. Shipping to JHB seems additional R75

1TB NVMe @ R1799:

That 1Tb SATA one failed one me after 1.5yrs.
Evetech replaced it with a new sealed unit which was a welcome surprise.